was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think the only thing you can prove with any certainty is the comfort some people get from their beliefs. As I said that can't be a bad thing.

I've said before I have no belief in god, but I do believe there are more things out there than my tiny brain will ever comprehend.
  • WolfSong2000
    Options
    I try and keep an open mind about such things, but I do tend to lean toward believing...in part because of years of research (more more than a decade, on and off) conducted by myself alongside personal experiences and other experiences that have been relayed to me such as...

1) The neighbour across the road who had two children a few years older than me used to hear (years ago now!) the sounds of children laughing and playing in/nearby the house when her kids were at school. I think it was her who also used to smell freshly baked bread sometimes (there was another house in the village which used to be owned by one of the female cast members of the old TV show "Are you being served?" and she claimed to have a haunted house...I *think* it was her who claimed that she could smell cider or something, but it could have been the other way around (she smelled fresh bread and other house smelled cider)...anyhow, it's an old village, so I guess anything's possible!

2) I don't tend to "see" things, but I do sense them from time to time...it seems to be quite random and not something I can control. For instance in my room at my parents house, I was (and am) convinced that there is something going on...what that something is seems to change from time to time...e.g. sometimes I can't sense anything, other times I sense something quite strongly (no correlation to whether or not I am actively thinking about it). As far as I am aware (whilst also being aware I could be totally nuts). There are 2 different "things" that I am aware of...one is quite passive, curious and amiable, but I can get a really strong sense of it being around at times and the other rarer sense I get is something a great deal more troubling...years ago (I must have been 12 or 13) it got really, really bad for about a week or so...something very malevolent and downright evil, and then eased off...now I sense it on occasion, but not to the same extent...it just makes me feel very uncomfortable and ill at ease. The only time I ever "saw" anything in the room I managed to put it down to sleep paralysis after some investigation, but these feelings I get have been harder to shake. Interestingly, my sister who is 2 years younger than me recently spent a few days sleeping in the room (she was home from uni and chose my old room over her own for whatever reason) and also "felt" something in the room that scared her so much she slept with the light on. I hadn't told my experiences to anyone, and it was my father who mentioned to me what my sister had experienced and asked if I had experienced anything similar.

The only time I can ever remember something similar happening is when I was about 14, I went to Farnham, Surrey with my dad and my sister as it is supposed to be a particularly haunted town (I've always had an interest in the paranormal, but have never been a total believer). He visited all the haunted places I was aware of (got nothing!) and then my dad and sister wandered into an old church. I felt fine at first, but got a cradual creeping sensation that didn't sit well with me and made me feel uneasy. It kept building to the point where I got the distinct impression that something wanted me out of that church...hard to describe as it was like someone shouting "get out", but there was no voice...it was like when your sixth sense kicks into overdrive and warns you that something's up, but this warning felt somehow external? I don't know...whatever it was, when I experienced that I decided I wasn't going to hang about and literally ran from the church. My father and sister sauntered out a while later and had experienced no problems. I never did manage to find any other recorded experiences similar to my own in the church...was very odd.

As for general theories on ghosts...there's a variety. Some experiences seem to point towards certain people essentially kicking off a "reocrding" of an event which had previously happened (no matter how inane), often when there was a strong emotion involved. So the "ghost" isn't conscious - it's just a recording. Hence why ghosts are "seen" to walk through walls, etc. Other people report that ghosts have interacted with them, which suggests some sort of conscious awareness on their part, if indeed they do exist.

Interestingly, there have also been accounts of "time shifts" where people not only see one element (e.g. ghost), but the whole scenery, etc, changes temporarily. Again, can't speak to the authenticity, but it's interesting to read about :)

and for those who are interested in science's take on life after death - there was a fantastic book published years ago (not sure if it's even still in print) called "The Scole Experiment". Well worth a read!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LudaMusser wrote: »
    At the end of the day nobody can say for certain that ghosts do exist or that they don`t exist. It`s exactly the same as whether god exists or not. It`s just somebody`s opinion, no right or wrong answer.
    Respect other people`s opinions as they are entitled to them and just because they don`t agree with you it does`nt mean that they are wrong

So if someone believed that they are God and they must kill all non-believers and amputate 3 fingers from every believer, you would respect that?!

People may be free to think what they like, but pretending to respect any idiotic claim is absurd.
  • AdmiralX
    AdmiralX Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    raven83 wrote: »
    wow so man skeptics about, that is till they have an experience of their own.

I think so too. Personally I ve not seen a ghost. I had a telepathic experience, probably, I am not sure: I was in Hong Kong, and said to hubby, I felt as if sth is wrong had happened to with my bro in Europe, I asked hubby to take me to the tegraph office in Victoria to phone my parents_ years ago ago before the age of mobiles. It was 11.30 local time am. And I sent a telegram to parents asking where is bro. They were in a shock because at exactly the time the telegram was recorded my bro had a near fatal road accident with his morobike on a country road. He survived and he only broke a thigh. He is fine and does very well.:)
    "I'll be back."
  • tiamaria
    tiamaria Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP's story reminds me very much of a tale my friend told me many years ago.

Her parents had a very large family and lived for many years in a secluded very large house bringing them up. When they all grew up they sold the large house and moved to a bungalow more suited to a elderly couple. years passed and the husband died = it was a Saturday night at 7pm as it happens.

A few days later the widow and her daughter (my friend) were in the town and bumped into the lady who had bought the large house they had lived in previously. The conversation went like this -

Lady = I hope you don't mind me asking but have you recently lost your husband?
    Widow = Yes, how did you know?
    Lady = Because I saw him in my kitchen on Saturday night - it was about 7pm!

As told to me:)
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Options
    tiamaria wrote: »
    The OP's story reminds me very much of a tale my friend told me many years ago.

Her parents had a very large family and lived for many years in a secluded very large house bringing them up. When they all grew up they sold the large house and moved to a bungalow more suited to a elderly couple. years passed and the husband died = it was a Saturday night at 7pm as it happens.

A few days later the widow and her daughter (my friend) were in the town and bumped into the lady who had bought the large house they had lived in previously. The conversation went like this -

Lady = I hope you don't mind me asking but have you recently lost your husband?
    Widow = Yes, how did you know?
    Lady = Because I saw him in my kitchen on Saturday night - it was about 7pm!

As told to me:)

You have to wonder why the old house is so often the first port of call. I can think of about a million places I'd rather go if I was suddenly a supernatural being.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    You have to wonder why the old house is so often the first port of call. I can think of about a million places I'd rather go if I was suddenly a supernatural being.

I recall as a child watching Arthur C Clark attempt to theorise ghosts and why they did what they did, he claimed that it **could** be possible for old buildings to 'record' sounds of the past in some way, perhaps in their fabric of stone and wood etc, hence why old buildings had imprints of centuries of spirits in comparison with others. Who knows?

One interesting thing I was told by a relative the other day though, as a kid I visited a house belonging to my cousins relative. The whole family lived between several terraces on the street and we as kids were always told that one of the houses had a 'bad feeling' about it. As such we never went in and the family member who lived there didn't spend much time there either, preferring her other families homes.

Fast forward to 2 years ago and she sold the house and moved. A young couple purchased it and nobody had mentioned to them the concerns. The couple spent lots of money on this house then suddenly packed everything up and left, going to live with her parents. She left a key with one of the relatives and told her simply that they had enough and couldn't live there anymore as they felt there was a 'presence' in that house that didn't want them there. The house is now for sale again at a very low price as they are so desperate to get rid.

Relative who has the key still lives next door and often nips round having heard people walking up and down the stairs only to find the house empty. A few weeks ago she was awoken in the night to the sound of the fireplaces being raked out next door. The house hasn't had open fireplaces since the 50's.

Again, its something I can't begin to explain, but interesting to note that a couple who knew nothing of the house picked up the same feelings and experiences that everyone else had.
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    So if someone believed that they are God and they must kill all non-believers and amputate 3 fingers from every believer, you would respect that?!

People may be free to think what they like, but pretending to respect any idiotic claim is absurd.

What a ridiculous analogy. People can think what they like, if they act it out it's another matter.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • motherofstudents
    Options
    I do hope anyone who has an experience to relate will not be afraid to do so. We are all entitled to and any amount of criticism should not prevent that. Please, if you do have anything to say, go ahead. It makes for an interesting debate to hear both sides and we all have a different viewpoint so don't worry about being ridiculed. It's great to hear from everyone.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sassyblue wrote: »
    What a ridiculous analogy. People can think what they like, if they act it out it's another matter.

But that's exactly what people do! What is the point of any belief if you don't use it to govern your actions?!

Even today, some Christians' belief in God drives them to persecute, discriminate against or even murder homosexuals. I do not respect the validity of such beliefs. Not only are they nonsensical, they are dangerous because of the immoral acts that will be committed by believers who see their belief as a justification to commit "evil".

It is completely ridiculous to say that you will respect someone's belief that they must unjustifiably kill others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure