was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sassyblue wrote: »
    So sad this interesting thread has been hijacked by a few who can't bear to let people have their own views.

I've never seen anything spooky but l know FIL is a total non believer, well WAS until his wife died and he later saw her standing in the kitchen for a fleeting second. He was wide awake, couldn't understand or explain it but he now totally believes.

I wish the others who had stories to tell would come back and tell them, ignore those who are trying to put people down, think of them as being exorcised. :p

I really wanted to put a bit in the local paper to ask if anyone else had experienced anything in the street that my sister and myself had - but i'm far too scared i'll be pointed and laughed at when i'm out. :rotfl:
  • jackieb
    Options
    This is the church where I saw the lady on the penny farthing. It was an October evening, about 8pm. I was driving so I was neither asleep nor had I been drinking! I was so convinced by what I saw I drove round the streets looking for her.

fburghwestkirk4.jpg
  • jackieb
    Options
    That's strange. The picture keeps turning sideways. I saved it the correct way but when I opened it on photobucket it had turned. I edited it, rotated it, and saved it. It was the correct way up! Then I added it on here and it's sideways again.

See, strange forces of nature at work. :rotfl:
  • jackieb
    Options
    Does anyone else see a face at the bottom of the spire?
  • eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    I like to keep an open mind about these things. I've managed to completely freak myself out sometimes with unexplained noises and flashes of things in the corner of my eye but I'm not convinced I have ever personally seen a ghost. There are a helluva lot of things that can't be easily explained though.

My parents house has a radiator under the stairs and when it gets really hot, the treads all creak and pop one by one and it sounds like there is someone walking up the stairs very slowly. I had all my friends convinced my house was haunted when I was younger because they would look at the stairs, hear the footsteps but nobody was there!!
  • Ezmondino
    Options
    jackieb wrote: »

Haha, yes!:beer:
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    Well, how many years have we had reliable and evolved equipment to measure these things? Isn't it a little bit arrogant to assume that, if modern science can't prove it, it isn't there?

So, in the absence of any logical explanation, and the failure of science to find any possible reason that ghosts might exist,you would reject the overwhelming probability and jump to the least likely conclusion? Isn't that incredibly arrogant?

It has never been proven that there aren't invisible pixies in the sky whose tears fall as rain... So you would say that it's arrogant to believe that those pixies don't exist?!
    KxMx wrote: »
    On the other hand, I sure would like to live in this black and white world where human knowledge is infinite and can 100% prove/disprove anything you can think of ;) Being a medical mystery right now it sure would help!

You also mis-understand science. It does not even begin to explain everything with 100% certainty. Isn't that what superstition does? The only reason people invent the idea of ghosts is so that they can pretend to explain what's going on. It is science that takes an open mind and tries to evaluate the evidence to come to the most probabilistic outcome.

Science doesn't say that ghosts don't exist, it says that there is no evidence to believe in them, which is a very different thing. If you're going to believe in ghosts, you may as well believe that you're a giant dog in a two dimensional universe where time doesn't exist and your peception of this reality is just an hallucination. There's no evidence to suggest that's false, so why not believe?
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Sorry no time to check your link out now but I know about the celestial teapot. The problem with your introducing that is that it takes us into the realms of philosophy rather than science which is what I thought we were discussing. From a scientific perspective I stand by what I wrote last night that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Cheers.

Not really, its actually a very simple illustration to demonstrate that its impossible to prove the non-existence of something.

The burden of proof therefore is on the believers, so get claiming those prizes!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    jackieb wrote: »
    That's strange. The picture keeps turning sideways. I saved it the correct way but when I opened it on photobucket it had turned. I edited it, rotated it, and saved it. It was the correct way up! Then I added it on here and it's sideways again.

See, strange forces of nature at work. :rotfl:
    There you go:

churchk.jpg
    OMGG - back to DI we go then. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Not really, its actually a very simple illustration to demonstrate that its impossible to prove the non-existence of something.
    Why thank you. Since you express it that way we are of the same mind then. So it seems you support the "absence of... " statement then and my first example can't be casually dismissed out of hand as a load of bollox..
    The burden of proof therefore is on the believers,......
    Oh no I don't accept that. I'm not asking you to personally accept that there are such things in any sort of an evangelical way at all. Your opinion is your opinion. I think you need to experience something similar yourself. A higher power will possibly decide when and if.
    ........so get claiming those prizes!
    Don't see the point. I've got better things to do. I'm not hellbent on providing scientific proof of anything to anyone. All I have done is to recount two specific experiences.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure