Options

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    My pleasure
    :D
    See the first law of thermodynamics, the most fundamental law of all nature....that energy can change from one state to another but not be created nor destroyed
    Aha - excellent thank you. Everything is energy.
    You may have seen the image in your head but it wasn't there in reality. There are many, many studies giving reasons why we sometimes 'see' things that are not there.
    You could be right but the energy had to be there to create the image that I "saw". I'm not talking about a sheet with two eyes wafting in the wind going Woooooooooo. Did you ever see a TV programme called The Stone Tape?
    See Derren Brown
    I hadn't heard of him 8 years ago but I do like him and his work but he freely admits to what he does and certain of the techniques he uses. This event of which I speak was without influence from anyone else whatsoever.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    Options
    ...........they would not believe it, it would be like saying men landed on the moon.
    Oh no - don't develop that one. We'll be back on DI again. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    The first one is utter bo**ocks.

Now, in fairness it might not be balls (as in made up) but there are several possible explanations within known science.

There is, for example, something called infrasounds which are sounds at a lower frequency than what humans can hear. Many people may be familiar with dog whistles that make no real audible whistle to us but dogs can hear them - these operate at a higher frequency than the human ear can hear.

It has been documented that infrasounds, although inaudible, can cause the human brain to act erratically, instilling feelings of dread, panic, depression etc. and even visual hallucinations. One scientist at Coventry once noted how he was working in a "haunted" room one night and suddenly began to feel uneasy and anxious and saw a "blob" in the corner of his eye. After investigating the room he discovered a certain vent-fan was producing an infrasound and had it removed. No further "paranormal" experiences were reported.

There are also theories involving light particles reacting with plasma in the air causing a visual form which the human brain may, under certain conditions, process in a manner that it understands rather than the form it is actually taken. This can also occur with inanimate objects that are present. Such brain processes are well documented, particularly in sleep studies in which subjects are awoken with a small change in the room which causes them to see a human form, as opposed to the non-human shaped inanimate object that is actually there.

At 2:00am, the human brain, assuming a normal day, will be tired and more prone to these sorts of mistakes, and may also be more susceptible to infrasound interference. I know from personal experience waking up several times, or being in a state of tiredness and believing that I have seen something that isn't there - a few weeks ago, in fact, I awoke at night and could have sworn someone was sitting in a chair in my bedroom and I can actually remember what he looked like... but what was actually on the chair was simply a box and a bracelet.

There's also a phenomena more commonly associated with video games which involves the human mind filling in gaps and presenting an image in much more detail than the image exists in. This has been noted in video gamers going back to games they played five years ago and feeling that the graphics were not as good as they had remembered - because the brain perceives the graphics but also perceives how they "should" look and leaves an impression in the mind of something better than it actually is. This type of brain process has been linked to why some people have very vivid recollections of things that didn't actually happen, such as obvious hallucinations.

And of course, it is quite common to simply hallucinate through a lack of sleep.
  • keystone
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    There you go, that's why it was on your mind.
    You are missing the point apart from dismissing me recounting my experiences as utter bollox which is rather offensive. The doctor gave her three weeks. Three weeks later she went into the hospice. Whilst I would agree that its contributory its really not relevant to the exact timing of the thought in my mind corresponding with exactly the time that she passed..

Cheers.
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Oh really and you know this how? You weren't there - I was. Your response is, as expected, totally irrational.

You saw an image of something that wasn't there. There are all sorts of reasons behind people believing they've seen an apparition and a really common one is you catching a glimpse of something from the corner of your eye, or having your eyelid twitch and your brain filling in the blanks with a mental image drawn on the spur from memory. Other reasons can range from coffee intake, tiredness, pre-sleep/pre-waking hallucinations etc.
    No actually this is not the case. She was in a hospice and it was exactly three weeks after she had been given three weeks to live. I remember knowing that she had gone quite clearly.

She was in a hospice so from that we can deduce she wasn't in the best of health and you would naturally be worried. I'd bet my backside that on many occasions during those 3 weeks you worried about her....most people would. It just so happened that she died in or around one of the occasions you were worrying. In fact it probably didn't happen at exactly the same time at all because, as you say, you were told later and unless you wrote down the exact time you thought your Mother had died, you really couldn't be accurate about it.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My aunt used to tell a story about when she was young. They were waiting for her dad to come home. She went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea and he was there, she said hello to him and went and told her mum 'Dad's home'.

When she went back into the kitchen he wasn't there. They later discovered that he'd died that evening, hit by a lorry as he crossed the road.

My aunt was a nun and not one for making things up, but she firmly believed she'd seen her dad's spirit that day.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • nixe
    nixe Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I think there are so many things we don't understand [ motherof students ]

i agree
    one night i had just got in bed, when i felt someone watching me, i opened my eyes and above was a woman all in white
    with no legs. i looked at her and could not move scream nothing, she was there for about 2 to 3 mins.
    this happened in my old house we lived there 10 years, many things happened in that house
    since we have moved not one thing has happened. we have been here 11 years.
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    ...and the best minds in the World used to think the earth was flat.

Actually that's a myth.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • keystone
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    At 2:00am, the human brain, assuming a normal day, will be tired and more prone to these sorts of mistakes, and may also be more susceptible to infrasound interference.
    Agreed but I was wide awake, I had not been to bed. When you do watchkeeping or shiftwork you plan your sleep programme according to your schedule to ensure that you are wide awake and functioning correctly when you need to be.
    I know from personal experience waking up several times, or being in a state of tiredness and believing that I have seen something that isn't there....could have sworn someone was sitting in a chair in my bedroom and I can actually remember what he looked like...
    I have had similar experiences but neither could nor would describe such as seeing a "ghost" as after rational examination I came, in those cases, to similar conclusions as you. My experience in '79 was quite quite different.

Cheers
  • kazza1000
    Options
    Guys, I fully understand everyone who KNOWS that ghosts/spirits do not exist. I was one of you - until, that is my I saw my late husband (of nearly 8 years) standing in our living room one evening about 15 months after he died.

For a long time after that after that I would be woken by the smell of frying bacon in the wee small hours of every Saturday night/Sunday morning - he always made a fry on Sunday morning. We live in a detached house in the middle of nowhere so no neighbours to blame;)
    The bacon frying does not happen so often now, maybe every 4/5 months but is still very comforting.

Our boys, who were only 3 and 5 years old when their dad died, have both also seen him standing in front of the fireplace - each time when one of them has been in the room on his own and only one time each, if that makes sense. Both kids took an enormous amount of comfort from seeing their dad and I thank him for this.

Also, my now-partner, the boys step-dad, has had 2 very vivid dreams in which the boys dad thanked him for taking care of his boys in a way he was not able to ( and more besides!). My OH is absolutely not prone to either imagining things or believing in ghosts but, if asked, will say that he has no doubt that he was given a message both those times.

Without doubt my late DH was the biggest loss I have ever been through and I am extremely grateful that following what were some indescribably traumatic months I was given some comfort by the sudden realisation that, despite my previous beliefs that death was death and that was the end, I was shown without doubt that those who pass may no longer be here physically but their souls absolutely still live. And that was when I started to heal.

Believe me, I know how ridiculous this sounds to those who do not believe, just like I didn't. No-one could ever have persuaded me differently until I experienced what I did and a whole lot more besides - the above was just the start of my journey!!

Bless you F McG :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport