was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    There was a story featured in the South Wales Echo in the early 80's about a ghost in Boots Cardiff's city centre store, grown men downed tools and refused to return, sales staff saw the old lady on a regular basis and sad they were use to her.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I watched Prof Brian Cox last night and tried to understand bits of what he was talking about. For anyone who didn't see it, he had a huge diamond that he put in a box and said that the electrons could have travelled to some far galaxy before returning to the box. Now, I can't begin to explain that but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. My sis in law isn't scared at all, just a bit spooked but she's not the nervous type !

Brlliant wasn't he. He has a way of explaining things that makes it seem so obvious.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    It wasn't a ghost, because ghosts don't exist.
    corbyboy wrote: »
    Ghosts don't exist, so the answer is no.
    rachbc wrote: »
    No it wasn't a ghost

Tell that to my gramps, he died, that night he was at the bottom of my bed stood there looking at me. I didn't imagine it, i wasn't some hysterical tart.
    I saw my gramps. you can't say i didn't you werern't there.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    Tell that to my gramps, he died, that night he was at the bottom of my bed stood there looking at me. I didn't imagine it, i wasn't some hysterical tart..

It was a dream - sometimes if it's a half-waking one it can seem very real. It's rather like people who swear that a ghost comes and sits on them in the middle of the night and stops them from getting up - it's actually a physical state of paralysis when asleep.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Angel9876
    Options
    I deliberately didn't read this thread as I'm not a believer, HOWEVER...

I put the babies down at 7 tonight and have had a nice quiet evening, until the musical walker toy switched itself on out of the blue and started singing! Freaky!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    Those who *know* ghosts exists are otherwise known as raving loons who probably believe a whole host of other pointless rubbish like the end of the Mayan calender signifying the end of the world, fairies at the bottom of the garden and talking bananas.

Nope - I dont believe in the end of the Mayan Calendar signifying the end of the world, I dont have fairies at the bottom of the garden - just a variety of birds at the bird feeder, talking bananas? well I know of one - but thats a novelty phone! I have a firm grip on reality - but NOT a closed mind!
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    I have a firm grip on reality - but NOT a closed mind!

Somebody with a closed mind would choose not to believe something without giving any thought as to why they choose not to believe.

It is not closed-minded to consider the evidence presented by many, many case studies and years of scientific research and then conclude that one does not believe in ghosts.

Closed minded people dismiss things without understanding or even caring why they are dismissing those things.
  • motherofstudents
    Options
    Well, thanks again everyone, it's quite a nice way to pass a cold winter evening near to Christmas. Hope you all have a good one, with or without ghosts !
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    A rational explanation like...a draught?

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the existence of ghosts.

And there isn't a single scrap of evidence to prove that god exists but millions of people around the world believe that he does!

Sorry, this wasn't aimed at you just that I found it an interesting point :)

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    I have a firm grip on reality - but NOT a closed mind!

Ahh ha. Yup. Funnily enough, having a 'closed mind' is an accusation thrown around by religious hard-liners too....and they too have absolutely zero evidence to back up their beliefs.

There's a difference between having a closed mind and being rational. There is NO empirical evidence for the existance of ghosts (nor goblins, fairies, talking bananas or even god) and therefore concluding they don't exist is not the sign of a closed mind.

At one point in our evolution these tales of superstition had a place; they kept uneducated peasants in line. These days there is literally no reason to believe such rubbish other than wishing to cultivate whimsical eccentricity in the belief it makes one a more interesting person.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport