was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    There are various natural but intangible forces around us, such as electromagnetic forces, that can cause all kinds of incidents some people may associate with ghosts and most of us experience them at some point in our lives - the book that falls off the shelf after having been sat there for months, the door that shuts in a draught-less room, unexplained noises, sometimes even light distortions that our minds try to present to us in a fashion that we would understand... I've seen myself a glass being pushed off a table by another object... but I don't believe in ghosts because I believe there are enough forces that occur naturally to explain most phenomena.

I watched a documentary once in which a group of scientists were able to rig up a room and control the levels of these forces in the room. They were then given the task of replicating twenty incidents of "supernatural" phenomena with no prior idea of what incidences they would be required to replicate. Using a level of force that although may be high can and does sometimes exist in the natural world, they replicated every single incident.
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope your sil isn't frightened, my dad always used to say the dead can't hurt you, but the living can!

totally agree with that saying my mum used to say the same thing.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• motherofstudents
    Options
    Yes, my mum used to say the dead can't hurt you but the living can. I am really interested in the physics of things. Tried (!) to read something that Stephen Hawking wrote about different dimensions and if you think about it there are so many things that are invisible to us but it doesn't mean they don't exist. I think if you exist after death it must be in one of these unseen dimensions. Interesting to hear the different beliefs people have. I watched Prof Brian Cox last night and tried to understand bits of what he was talking about. For anyone who didn't see it, he had a huge diamond that he put in a box and said that the electrons could have travelled to some far galaxy before returning to the box. Now, I can't begin to explain that but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. My sis in law isn't scared at all, just a bit spooked but she's not the nervous type !
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    There are various natural but intangible forces around us, such as electromagnetic forces, that can cause all kinds of incidents some people may associate with ghosts and most of us experience them at some point in our lives - the book that falls off the shelf after having been sat there for months, the door that shuts in a draught-less room, unexplained noises, sometimes even light distortions that our minds try to present to us in a fashion that we would understand... I've seen myself a glass being pushed off a table by another object... but I don't believe in ghosts because I believe there are enough forces that occur naturally to explain most phenomena.

I watched a documentary once in which a group of scientists were able to rig up a room and control the levels of these forces in the room. They were then given the task of replicating twenty incidents of "supernatural" phenomena with no prior idea of what incidences they would be required to replicate. Using a level of force that although may be high can and does sometimes exist in the natural world, they replicated every single incident.[/QUOTE

sorry - but just because scientists can replicate incidents doesnt mean that those original incidents didnt happen without human intervention!

I trust that the banknotes I use every day are genuine - but sadly some of them are faked - does NOT mean that EVERY banknote is fake!!!! does it?
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    Those who KNOW ghosts exist - will believe you, and will probably ALSO look for other causes before ruling them out!

Those who *know* ghosts exists are otherwise known as raving loons who probably believe a whole host of other pointless rubbish like the end of the Mayan calender signifying the end of the world, fairies at the bottom of the garden and talking bananas.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    Those who *know* ghosts exists are otherwise known as raving loons who probably believe a whole host of other pointless rubbish like the end of the Mayan calender signifying the end of the world, fairies at the bottom of the garden and talking bananas.

My best friend believed in ghosts and suchlike. It was hilarious, she was an otherwise rational intelligent human being but she seriously believed her house was haunted and actually got a priest to do an exorcism! (She always refused to tell me what it cost.) We had years and years of heated debate on the issue and it killed us both that we couldn't convince the other they were in the wrong.

She died four years ago, if there was a way she could show up as a ghost and prove me wrong, I think she probably would have by now.
  • Welshwoofs
    Options
    corbyboy wrote: »
    It is pointless trying to reason with people who believe in something irrational.

Very true - but you can point and laugh at them. That's always fun :D
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    sorry - but just because scientists can replicate incidents doesnt mean that those original incidents didnt happen without human intervention!

I trust that the banknotes I use every day are genuine - but sadly some of them are faked - does NOT mean that EVERY banknote is fake!!!! does it?

It does, however, prove that such incidents can be explained by naturally occurring phenomena.

Fake banknotes = straw man argument.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    One spooky happening in our family happened in the late 60s my grandmother was in hospital and whilst in there her best friend died my mother decided not to tell her and my mother went to the funeral, that night she went to visit my grandmother who told her she knew where she had been and why didnt she tell her, my mother asked how she knew and it seems that afternoon shed had a visitor whom she hadnt seen for years who had heard she was in hospital and had come to see her and he had told my grandmother where my mother was ...............only thing was this bloke called Frank had been dead for over 20 years and when my mother asked the nurses they said shed had a visitor that afternoon who matched his description and he was dressed in 1940s clothes and nobody to this day has a explaination.
  • Welshwoofs
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    My best friend believed in ghosts and suchlike. It was hilarious, she was an otherwise rational intelligent human being but she seriously believed her house was haunted and actually got a priest to do an exorcism!

When I was a kid my Mum bought a restaurant that dated back to Tudor times; it even had priest holes. Apparently it was 'haunted' and stories had been in the papers several times as previous owners related tales of apparations moving down corridors, strange 'chills', noises etc.

Of course the truth was that it was a bloody old building with original windows. There were 'chills' because it was cold. There were no apparitions and all the tales were the product of over-active imaginations or owners trying to drum up trade by creating lurid ghostly tales.

On the upside, houses which are locally infamous for being haunted are often cheap to buy so if you're a rational sort you can grab a bit of a bargain. Same for places where someone's been murdered - good property bargains there! :beer:
    Dylan Moran
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport