was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    It didn't happen. You thought it did, but it didn't. End of story.

Wow, how arrogant.

I also have a story to tell of something that happened to me, something that terrified me so much that I still think about it regularly over 10 years later. I won't tell it here because of utter ****s like you.
    Pants
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Lol - reading this thread kinda makes me think I am reading the DI Forum rather than MSE :D.

OK Welshwoofs debunk this:

First: I HAVE seen a ghost/sprrit/apparition. It was in 1979 at 2.00 am in a Georgian House on the staircase. She was a young (19/20) lady dressed in 18thC costume and I still have the image in my mind as though it were yesterday. Yes I was stone cold sober and wide awake too. No I have never seen another since.

Second: When my dear old mum died 8 years ago I knew to the exact second when she passed. I was forty miles away from her on my way home from seeing her. As I got to a certain point in my journey I suddenly had this thought that she had gone. As I walked through my front door exactly 15 minutes later the 'phone was ringing to tell me she had died exactly fifteen minutes earlier.

Cheers

The first one is utter bo**ocks.

The second one is simple. There were probably 100 other moments where you felt that your mum had died, or worried that she had, or dwelt on the idea for a second. This one only sticks in your mind because of the call you got shortly after. You don't remember the 99 times when she didn't die.
  • OP, personally I think yes!

Like warehouse I have stories to tell but won't because of the 'views' of posters on here. :)
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    OK Welshwoofs debunk this:

My pleasure
    First: I HAVE seen a ghost/sprrit/apparition. It was in 1979 at 2.00 am in a Georgian House on the staircase. She was a young (19/20) lady dressed in 18thC costume and I still have the image in my mind as though it were yesterday. Yes I was stone cold sober and wide awake too. No I have never seen another since.

See the first law of thermodynamics, the most fundamental law of all nature....that energy can change from one state to another but not be created nor destroyed

You may have seen the image in your head but it wasn't there in reality. There are many, many studies giving reasons why we sometimes 'see' things that are not there..
    Second: When my dear old mum died 8 years ago I knew to the exact second when she passed. I was forty miles away from her on my way home from seeing her. As I got to a certain point in my journey I suddenly had this thought that she had gone. As I walked through my front door exactly 15 minutes later the 'phone was ringing to tell me she had died exactly fifteen minutes earlier.

See Derren Brown
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    The first one is utter bo**ocks.
    Oh really and you know this how? You weren't there - I was. Your response is, as expected, totally irrational.
    The second one is simple. There were probably 100 other moments where you felt that your mum had died, or worried that she had, or dwelt on the idea for a second.
    No actually this is not the case. She was in a hospice and it was exactly three weeks after she had been given three weeks to live. I remember knowing that she had gone quite clearly.
    This one only sticks in your mind because of the call you got shortly after. You don't remember the 99 times when she didn't die.
    You are correct because there wasn't another occasion when it was even likely. Its the undeniable fact that the thought came to me at exactly the time that she actually passed which was later confirmed by the 'phone call.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    Wow, how arrogant.

I also have a story to tell of something that happened to me, something that terrified me so much that I still think about it regularly over 10 years later. I won't tell it here because of utter ****s like you.

It's not arrogant, it's a conclusion based on evidence.....rather than a belief based on superstition and fairy-tales for which there is zero evidence (and believe me, there have been plenty of studies to test the hypothesis of paranormal sightings like ghosts)

I'm sure at some point in time one villager called another villager a **** when they pointed out that her chickens had stopped laying because they were too old to lay rather than, say, the old widow down the road being a witch who's cursed the livestock. It was probably just as amusing back then too.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No actually this is not the case. She was in a hospice and it was exactly three weeks after she had been given three weeks to live. I remember knowing that she had gone quite clearly.

Cheers

There you go, that's why it was on your mind.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    My pleasure

See the first law of thermodynamics, the most fundamental law of all nature....that energy can change from one state to another but not be created nor destroyed

I read the above in a science magazine a while back and it said that there is still no theory as to what happens to the energy when someone dies. As the energy does not die - where does it go?
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm sure at some point in time one villager called another villager a **** when they pointed out that her chickens had stopped laying because they were too old to lay rather than, say, the old widow down the road being a witch who's cursed the livestock. It was probably just as amusing back then too.

...and the best minds in the World used to think the earth was flat. Good job we move on eh?
    Pants
  • motherofstudents
    Options
    I only read something last week about this phenomenon of knowing when someone has died and there is a scientific study being carried out to try to figure out how it happens. I think a percentage of these experiences can be explained by coincidence but not all of them and they are so common that I think it warrants further investigation.
    Warehouse, sorry you don't feel you can share your experience. If people don't believe it that doesn't make it any less real to you.
    I think there are so many things we don't understand. If you went back in time and told people we would be able to talk to people thousands of miles away, they would not believe it, it would be like saying men landed on the moon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure