was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    And there isn't a single scrap of evidence to prove that god exists but millions of people around the world believe that he does!

Sorry, this wasn't aimed at you just that I found it an interesting point :)

Well, that's true.

I don't believe in any gods either, or unicorns, jinn, dragons or angels!
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    It was a dream - sometimes if it's a half-waking one it can seem very real. It's rather like people who swear that a ghost comes and sits on them in the middle of the night and stops them from getting up - it's actually a physical state of paralysis when asleep.

nope i was wide awake, mum had just left my room i didn't dream that either.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Well, that's true.

I don't believe in any gods either, or unicorns, jinn, dragons or angels!

You don't believe in Unicorns?! Shame on you! ;)

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angel9876 wrote: »
    I deliberately didn't read this thread as I'm not a believer, HOWEVER...

I put the babies down at 7 tonight and have had a nice quiet evening, until the musical walker toy switched itself on out of the blue and started singing! Freaky!

i wouldnt read too much into that as kids toys tend to do that alot.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    Ahh ha. Yup. Funnily enough, having a 'closed mind' is an accusation thrown around by religious hard-liners too....and they too have absolutely zero evidence to back up their beliefs.

There's a difference between having a closed mind and being rational. There is NO empirical evidence for the existance of ghosts (nor goblins, fairies, talking bananas or even god) and therefore concluding they don't exist is not the sign of a closed mind.

At one point in our evolution these tales of superstition had a place; they kept uneducated peasants in line. These days there is literally no reason to believe such rubbish other than wishing to cultivate whimsical eccentricity in the belief it makes one a more interesting person.

er - closed mind is NOT thrown around by religious hardliners or fundamentalists even. They agree with you - their view is RIGHT!
  • nixe
    nixe Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    My sil is very forthright, assertive

op my hubby is forthright level headed etc, and did not believe in ghosts.
    my nan had just died i was at the funeral that day,
    that night i slept in the kids room as one of them was unsettled.
    later on my hubby woke me to say i have just seen your nan,
    i said that's nice and went back to sleep.
    he never went back to bed that night and has since then slept with the light on,
    every single night now for 21 years.
    he was one of those who said no nothing exists etc.
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    er - closed mind is NOT thrown around by religious hardliners or fundamentalists even. They agree with you - their view is RIGHT!

However their view has absolutely no basis in fact since there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.....and therein lays the difference between fairy tales and conclusions drawn from research data.

Still.....as I've just seen you posting on DT in a way which suggests you also don't believe in evolution I'm going to quietly classify you as 'nutter on the bus' and tip-toe out ;)
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2011 at 12:17AM
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    nope i was wide awake, mum had just left my room i didn't dream that either.

It didn't happen. You thought it did, but it didn't. End of story. Hypnagogic hallucination.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You naysayers really depress me with your scientific approach to everything. Next you'll me telling me there's no jolly fat man in a red suit who climbs down your chimney once a year. :(

:D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Lol - reading this thread kinda makes me think I am reading the DI Forum rather than MSE :D.

OK Welshwoofs debunk this:

First: I HAVE seen a ghost/sprrit/apparition. It was in 1979 at 2.00 am in a Georgian House on the staircase. She was a young (19/20) lady dressed in 18thC costume and I still have the image in my mind as though it were yesterday. Yes I was stone cold sober and wide awake too. No I have never seen another since.

Second: When my dear old mum died 8 years ago I knew to the exact second when she passed. I was forty miles away from her on my way home from seeing her. As I got to a certain point in my journey I suddenly had this thought that she had gone. As I walked through my front door exactly 15 minutes later the 'phone was ringing to tell me she had died exactly fifteen minutes earlier.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure