was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• spicyprawn
    Options
    raven83 wrote: »
    i wouldnt read too much into that as kids toys tend to do that alot.

My daughters talking teddy decided to start when my husband was going to sleep and it said ' peek a boo I see you' :rotfl:
  • sennypijama
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    Well, how many years have we had reliable and evolved equipment to measure these things? Isn't it a little bit arrogant to assume that, if modern science can't prove it, it isn't there? After all, germs were in the main unheard of until the Crimean war- but they had presumably, looking at records of plague and such like, been around since the dawn of time. But we didn't have the knowledge or understanding to recognise them before. I'm sure there were plenty of learned, educated men in the medical/scientific fields who dismissed germs as rubbish before the proof appeared- and that took long enough.
    !

Indeed.

In fact, tens of thousands of women died after childbirth because doctors refused to believe that they needed to wash their hands in between autopsies and deliveries.
    Poor handwashing is still a major cause of cross-infection and, indeed, deaths in hospitals today, 150 years after it was proved necessary and effective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    Actually that's a myth.

WOW i am so glad i am not as narrow minded as you are!
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    WOW i am so glad i am not as narrow minded as you are!

The idea that many people thought the earth was flat is actually a myth - it has nothing to do with being narrow minded. As far back as documents exist, all the way to the Ancient Greeks, it is accepted that the vast majority of scholars thought that the earth was round/spherical and that this idea never changed.

Washington Irvine is often thought to be the person who put forth the incorrect notion that people from the middle ages thought that the world was flat and is thus blamed for creating this myth.

But scholars such as Stephen Jay Gould and Jeffrey Russell have stated that the myth was created by those opposed to Christianity, as a method of proving theories of evolution by suggesting that at the height of Christianity's power in Western Civilisation, people were so stupid that they believed the earth was flat. However, both have stated that there is no evidence whatsoever that Christian scholars have ever accepted the flat-earth theory and that records since before 0 AD have proven that the theory of the spherical earth was predominantly accepted as fact.
  • LudaMusser
    Options
    At the end of the day nobody can say for certain that ghosts do exist or that they don`t exist. It`s exactly the same as whether god exists or not. It`s just somebody`s opinion, no right or wrong answer.
    Respect other people`s opinions as they are entitled to them and just because they don`t agree with you it does`nt mean that they are wrong
  • indebtinsussex
    Options
    spicyprawn wrote: »
    My daughters talking teddy decided to start when my husband was going to sleep and it said ' peek a boo I see you' :rotfl:

my brothers used to come into my room and set off a furby by my head every night when I was younger. Think horse head in bed scenario with a furby. I still hate the things 14 years later! :rotfl:
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    There isn't a single scrap of evidence to support the existence of ghosts.

The absence of evidence, is not evidence itself that they don't exist.

Me, I keep an open mind. I DO believe ghosts exist, because I've seen one, but I don't believe that every experience people describe is definitely a ghost.

Certainly, the noises our apartment likes to make (lots of old wood, and draughts etc), has convinced friends of mine that we have a ghost there, but I don't think so. In that case, I think it is just the wood creaking, particularly when it's windy out, or the radiators coming on or off, and the fridge likes to make noise too etc.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • thistledome
    thistledome Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    You did indeed see your grandfather.

But what you actually saw, and why you saw it, is a completely different kettle of fish.

This comes quite close to how I feel about such things.

People really do experience phenomena of this type and we just don't know why or how. As an atheist I find it hard to believe in an afterlife or ghosts, however I know that people do see and hear and even smell things that can't be explained.

Just because we don't yet understand such things there's no reason to call people liars and nutters when they have these experiences. I find that sort of attitude very immature. No need to mock what you don't understand.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • euronorris
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    There are various natural but intangible forces around us, such as electromagnetic forces, that can cause all kinds of incidents some people may associate with ghosts and most of us experience them at some point in our lives - the book that falls off the shelf after having been sat there for months, the door that shuts in a draught-less room, unexplained noises, sometimes even light distortions that our minds try to present to us in a fashion that we would understand... I've seen myself a glass being pushed off a table by another object... but I don't believe in ghosts because I believe there are enough forces that occur naturally to explain most phenomena.

I watched a documentary once in which a group of scientists were able to rig up a room and control the levels of these forces in the room. They were then given the task of replicating twenty incidents of "supernatural" phenomena with no prior idea of what incidences they would be required to replicate. Using a level of force that although may be high can and does sometimes exist in the natural world, they replicated every single incident.

Ooohh, that reminds me of a documentary I saw on discovery (or similar) recently, in which they stimulated certain parts of people's brains whilst they were in a secluded room and found that tapping into certain points of the brain created the feeling of someone, or something else being in the room, along with floating orbs etc.

And epilepsy can certainly present 'visions' in some cases. Before my Dad's epilepsy was controlled, he would see a vision of a horse and cart before each and every fit he had. It was almost like a warning signal for him that he was about to fit.

Given my own medical history, it is entirely possible that what I have seen is a manifestation from my mind too. But, I can't prove either way what it is, so I guess I choose to believe the ghosts because, well, it's more comforting to think that there is something more after this life.
  • euronorris
    Options
    i wouldnt read too much into that as kids toys tend to do that alot.

Lightening struck in my sister's back garden (last year I think). She's a childminder. Every electrical toy in the living room (closest to the back garden) went off at the same time! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family