was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LudaMusser wrote: »
    At the end of the day nobody can say for certain that ghosts do exist or that they don`t exist. It`s exactly the same as whether god exists or not. It`s just somebody`s opinion, no right or wrong answer.
    Respect other people`s opinions as they are entitled to them and just because they don`t agree with you it does`nt mean that they are wrong

By that reasoning people's beliefs in unicorns or pixies or orbiting teapots deserve the same respect. Can't prove them wrong after all.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Ooohh, that reminds me of a documentary I saw on discovery (or similar) recently, in which they stimulated certain parts of people's brains whilst they were in a secluded room and found that tapping into certain points of the brain created the feeling of someone, or something else being in the room, along with floating orbs etc.

And epilepsy can certainly present 'visions' in some cases. Before my Dad's epilepsy was controlled, he would see a vision of a horse and cart before each and every fit he had. It was almost like a warning signal for him that he was about to fit.

Given my own medical history, it is entirely possible that what I have seen is a manifestation from my mind too. But, I can't prove either way what it is, so I guess I choose to believe the ghosts because, well, it's more comforting to think that there is something more after this life.

I have heard of similar experiments.

I mentioned earlier about infrasounds. I recall reading about an experiment in which people were put in a room and a piece of music was played to them and their heart-rates and brain patterns were monitored and afterwards they had to write down how they felt. All very normal... heart rates rose slightly when the music became more dramatic, most comments about how they felt were related to the music etc.

They were then given a short break, returned to the room and unknown to them they were played the same piece of music but with an infrasound accompanying it. Heart rates became erratic, brain patterns also became erratic... some people were particularly susceptible to this and had to be removed from the room for fears over their health. Everyone in that audience then reported the feelings of dread, panic, anxiety, paranoia and some, though not all, reported seeing images of some description.

For me, it therefore stands to reason that certain stimulus, whether that be an infrasound or some other form of stimulus, can cause our brains to behave in an erratic manner, the same way a rogue piece of coding can crash a computer and certainly epilepsy can also result in hallucinations.

My father had a brain tumour - he hallucinated all sorts of things. My mother and I heard him talking one night to his brother who had been dead for ten years. He once woke up claiming that the bed was covered in chocolate Christmas trees. He eventually passed away, right in front of me as it happens. My mother said she once saw him in the garden after he died and a couple of other times she's caught glimpses or felt his presence... but of course, I've never seen anything. So either my father didn't love me, or mum's mistaken.

Personally, I don't believe there's an afterlife and to be honest, I wouldn't take much comfort from it if there was one.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A few years ago I lost my very dear Aunt. Understandably I was very upset that evening and my parting comment to my OH before I fell asleep was "I'll really miss her phone calls and the breezy way she'd say Hello Janey! When I picked up the phone".

Now at the time my Father was very ill and I was on alert all the time, consequently when the phone rang at 3.30am I sat upright a bit dazed and put on the light. OH commented something to the effect of "are you going to answer it then?". I picked it up and it went dead. Confused I dialed 1471 and got the last number dialed - my sis in law the previous evening. By now both kids were awake having also heard the phone ringing. I went downstairs and checked the other phone, still the same result. OH looked at me and reminded me of my last words "I'll really miss her phone calls".

I could never begin to try and explain that but I'd like to think it was her way of saying goodbye.
  • Person_one
    Options
    A few years ago I lost my very dear Aunt. Understandably I was very upset that evening and my parting comment to my OH before I fell asleep was "I'll really miss her phone calls and the breezy way she'd say Hello Janey! When I picked up the phone".

Now at the time my Father was very ill and I was on alert all the time, consequently when the phone rang at 3.30am I sat upright a bit dazed and put on the light. OH commented something to the effect of "are you going to answer it then?". I picked it up and it went dead. Confused I dialed 1471 and got the last number dialed - my sis in law the previous evening. By now both kids were awake having also heard the phone ringing. I went downstairs and checked the other phone, still the same result. OH looked at me and reminded me of my last words "I'll really miss her phone calls".

I could never begin to try and explain that but I'd like to think it was her way of saying goodbye.

So my question is, what about all the people that die and never come back to comfort their loved ones? What about those of us that have been broken to pieces by grief and never had the reassurance of a visit?

Did our loved ones just not care as much? Are 'visitation tickets' rationed somehow? Am I a bad person who doesn't deserve to see her loved ones one last time?

(Your experience sounds like it was probably the work of BT testing the line.)
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    So my question is, what about all the people that die and never come back to comfort their loved ones? What about those of us that have been broken to pieces by grief and never had the reassurance of a visit?

Did our loved ones just not care as much? Are 'visitation tickets' rationed somehow? Am I a bad person who doesn't deserve to see her loved ones one last time?

(Your experience sounds like it was probably the work of BT testing the line.)

Funny though in 15 years that never happened before and has never happened since.

I dont think anyone is suggesting visitation tickets are rationed, I wanted Dad to send a sign that never came.

In the end what does it matter? However that phone rang that night it was comforting for me and my family, and thats all that is important. If people want to believe that their loved ones go on then who's to judge.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm curious, what would be considered as proof that ghosts exist? As seeing is not believing, and can certainly be caused by other stuff, how can anyone prove the existance of ghosts?
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • beedeedee
    Options
    It would be handy if they could do something useful - like mowing the lawn or cleaning the bath - wouldn't mind a ghost who could do that.....all they ever seem to do is wander about..............
  • euronorris
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    By that reasoning people's beliefs in unicorns or pixies or orbiting teapots deserve the same respect. Can't prove them wrong after all.

So long as they are not harming anyone, then I don't see why not.
  • Person_one
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    I'm curious, what would be considered as proof that ghosts exist? As seeing is not believing, and can certainly be caused by other stuff, how can anyone prove the existance of ghosts?

The same way you prove anything else.
  • euronorris
    Options
    beedeedee wrote: »
    It would be handy if they could do something useful - like mowing the lawn or cleaning the bath - wouldn't mind a ghost who could do that.....all they ever seem to do is wander about..............

I live in hope of a cleaning fairy showing up!

I fear I shall be perpetually disappointed, but hey, a girl can dream! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family