We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    Whilst the book is fictional my understanding is that this was taken from real experiments in the field of Noetic Science.
    It was - LINKY . I remain sceptical.
    My view is that there are things that go on in this world that we probably don't have the ability to comprehend or fathom, I keep an open mind :)
    Quite.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    It was - LINKY . I remain sceptical.

Quite.

Cheers

Thanks for the link, I knew it was out there somewhere :). It's interesting to say the least. I think I choose to want to believe in this sort of thing because I find it too depressing to believe that when my body stops working I'm gone forever.

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this, partly because it sounds like it has given you great comfort but also because there are studies going on in regards to the soul being a physical presence. Has anyone else read 'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown? In the book they talk about an experiment in which a man died whilst on scales and seconds after he died his weight changed minutely and the theory is that it was his soul leaving. Whilst the book is fictional my understanding is that this was taken from real experiments in the field of Noetic Science.

My view is that there are things that go on in this world that we probably don't have the ability to comprehend or fathom, I keep an open mind :)

It is indeed based on an actual experiment carried out by Dr Duncan MacDougall and has led to what is known as the 21 grams theory, which is the theory that the soul weighs 21 grams.

However, even MacDougall concurred that the research proved nothing and many have pointed out the flaws in the experiments, most notably the fact that it was difficult to prove the exact time of death (MacDougall himself admitted that this was so) which would have immediately created a flaw in the results, two of the six test subjects had to be discounted, some have concluded that the body actually gains weight immediately after death and the passage of time of the supposed weight-loss was erratic between subjects.

On the subject, Snopes.com concludes that the results are flawed because the methodology was suspect, the sample size far too small and the ability to measure changes in weight imprecise, leaving his results as a curiosity but nothing more.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    .........because I find it too depressing to believe that when my body stops working I'm gone forever.
    The only thing that I do know is that I'll find out for certain when the time comes. I'm of the opinion that I will move on to a better place but that will only be confirmed or otherwise at the time. I remain sceptical about this particular research atm though.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • AdmiralX
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    DI Forum
    what is the DI, sorry to be igno...
    I HAVE seen a ghost/sprrit/apparition... Yes I was stone cold sober and wide awake too.

I do not contest this experience because you had your senses which actually caused you to feel "stone cold"; I have heard people describing this experience, I did not have this yet. This was the only time you experienced it?
    When my dear old mum died 8 years ago I knew to the exact second when she passed. I was forty miles away .....from her

Very interesting, and similar has happened to me with very loved ones.

You must have loved very much your mum and she must have loved you very much. Sorry you lost her.

Is there some kind of telepathy with the loved ones? I have heard but not read the topic.
    "I'll be back."
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find it too depressing to believe that when my body stops working I'm gone forever.

This is why I insist on being buried, then I won't be gone forever, I'll eventually end up back in the food chain. If they put me in a cardboard coffin it will be even sooner.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    It is completely ridiculous to say that you will respect someone's belief that they must unjustifiably kill others.

But no-one said it except you. :rotfl:

Happy moneysaving all.
  • AdmiralX
    AdmiralX Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    kazza1000 wrote: »
    .... Both kids took an enormous amount of comfort from seeing their dad and I thank him for this ...

Also, my now-partner, the boys step-dad, has had 2 very vivid dreams

Thank you for this very beautiful account. There is a lot of love in it. You are happy you have seen him and he is happy he has been with you.
    "I'll be back."
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid that I am firmly in the "you won't believe it until you have experienced it" camp. I'm not going into details but a few years ago I experienced several things that can't be explained. Individually, there might be some electromagnetic or other scientific explanation but this was a whole medley of spookyness. None were dreams, unless my ex wife (and the cat) also shared the same dreams. I know this because we discussed it afterwards (not with the cat.)

Previous to this I was a complete and utter sceptic. What we saw made me question other long held beliefs (or non beliefs.)
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    See the first law of thermodynamics, the most fundamental law of all nature....that energy can change from one state to another but not be created nor destroyed

Is this just quoting science for science's sake? What has it got to do with ghosts and other spooky happenings?
  • tiamaria
    tiamaria Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'd like to hear the story- sounds interesting:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport