We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

was this a ghost ?

Options

Comments

• sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tiamaria wrote: »
    Well I'd like to hear the story- sounds interesting:)

Me too! and any others, they're interesting to hear.

Someones post has reminded me of my nan who went to a spiritualist some time after grandad died. The spiritualist said 'he's saying the gardening needs doing'. Quick as a flash my nan replied 'well if he doesn't like it he can come down and do it himself then'. :rotfl:

Happy moneysaving all.
  • skypie123_2
    skypie123_2 Posts: 825 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2011 at 9:11PM
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    Tell that to my gramps, he died, that night he was at the bottom of my bed stood there looking at me. I didn't imagine it, i wasn't some hysterical tart.
    I saw my gramps. you can't say i didn't you werern't there.

Mupette - me too.

I had an experience very much like this.
    I know what I saw and people can say what they like. I was there so I know.
    People always feel the need to explain stuff away with science. I kind of feel sorry for those people. Those that know, know.
    I have realised I will never play the Dane! :(

Where are my medals? Everyone else on here has medals!! :p
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    skypie123 wrote: »
    I kind of feel sorry for those people.

You need not.
  • skypie123_2
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    You need not.

I will feel however I like thank you.
    Just like you will believe whatever you like.
    I don't need to convince you of anything, I was just stating what I think.

• Tropez
    Options
    I don't need to convince you of anything, I was just stating what I think.

As was I.

Why feel sorry for anybody? I'm sure some of those believers would be rather insulted if someone were to say they felt sorry for those who believe it.
  • skypie123_2
    Options
    They have done numerous times on this thread. And also called people who have seen things ridiculous etc.
    And try and explain it all away with science...
    Why do they need to do that? Why the need to have to explain everything away? Why can't they just let those believe, believe and those that don't, don't have to?
    It's having the need to try and disprove other people's beliefs that I feel sorry for. Let people think what they want to.

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    Tropez wrote: »
    I'm sure some of those believers would be rather insulted if someone were to say they felt sorry for those who believe it.

To be fair, the general feel of the thread (especially earlier) was geared around a disparaging/slightly patronising tone towards those who believed.

My own personal feeling is that we're only a small blip in the universe, who knows what is still undiscovered. I just don't feel anything is conclusive enough for me to form a definitive opinion on.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Tropez
    Options
    They have done numerous times on this thread. And also called people who have seen things ridiculous etc.
    And try and explain it all away with science...
    Why do they need to do that? Why the need to have to explain everything away? Why can't they just let those believe, believe and those that don't, don't have to?
    It's having the need to try and disprove other people's beliefs that I feel sorry for. Let people think what they want to.

One or two sceptics may have been unnecessarily aggressive but certainly not the majority.

As for explaining things away, why not? If people's sensibilities are put so out of whack because somebody dare offer a scientific explanation for an experience then perhaps they should not be on a discussion forum talking about it?

People are always going to believe whatever they want to believe; if they change their minds because of something they read here then their belief wasn't very strong in the first place.

Are there not people here trying to disprove those who prefer to look to science for explanations? Those using the cliched "when it happens to you..." line, for example.

It goes both ways. No need to feel sorry for anybody.
  • Tropez
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    To be fair, the general feel of the thread (especially earlier) was geared around a disparaging/slightly patronising tone towards those who believed.

But I could argue there has been an equally disparaging and patronising tone towards those who do not believe.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »

My own personal feeling is that we're only a small blip in the universe, who knows what is still undiscovered. I just don't feel anything is conclusive enough for me to form a definitive opinion on.

The thing is, most 'skeptics' would be more than happy to adjust their views if against all odds some compelling evidence was found for the existence of ghosts.

After all, what would be better than having a loved one visit and say "I'm fine, I'm in a good place and we'll see each other again one day." its an incredibly comforting thought, that's the appeal and that's how so many con artists make their money from the bereaved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport