We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I wish I could even think of cleaning the house from top to bottom never mind doing it
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi INOD - I find it good to distract myself when I get stressed - so you can usually tell the state of my mind by the state of the house:)
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi all

I've been reviewing my spends so far and that frittering gremlin is back:o. Ok I bought "A girl called Jack" book - which I'm happy about but I didn't budget for it and there have been other little spends.

I've looked back at some posts especially my plans for 2014 -

2014 plans

• save £10,000 - not doing too badly.
    • pack my lunch every day - fell of that bandwagon but back on it again.
    • track all spends - a bit hit & miss but sorted now.
    • write shopping lists and stick to them - doing ok.
    • save all £2 coins - doing well on this one.
    • all beauty products to be used up before buying more - also doing ok with this one.
    • use library & free kindle books - no more buying mags - started to slip on this one but pulling socks up.
    • £10 spends a month for treats - ditching this one as I have a new plan (sounding a bit Baldrick there:D)
    So my new plan as I like a challenge - is to live on £5 a day. I read another poster who did this and if I don't spend on one day it gets carried forward. The other poster puts any change in a pot but I'm going to roll it over as most of spends are at the weekend. Ok I'm cheating a bit as my exercise doesn't come out of this and neither does my weekly grocery but it does include any other food, entertainment, clothing, toiletries, household goods and books and magazines…(which I shouldn't be buying anyway:o).

I'm also going to give up drink for lent. Drinking at the weekend has become a bit of a habit which I want to break & it will save me pennies.

I got one of those CPP reclaim forms which I filled in and returned. I had HSBC cardguard which I eventually cancelled. I rang them up the first time to cancel and basically got told that if anything went wrong my life would collapse - ok I could find myself liable for £1000s however the 2nd time I rang them it was no bother to cancel so obviously the PPI thing had kicked in.

I'm off to Dublin next weekend for that running course thing. My lunch is covered and I'm pretty sure between myself and OH I can find enough euros for the toll booth.
  • Munchin
    Options
    Morning all:),

Monday again - I have to be up in Belfast for 8am which is usually fine except on a Monday morning - so I better get going.

Today's plans are a bit boring -
    • physio
    • work
    • circuits.
    I've just checked my bank account and most of March's direct debits have gone out and it gives me a better understanding of what I have to live on this month.

I have my lunch made so I have no excuse for frittering money.

Have a good day everyone:D
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi all

Today was my first day of living on £5 which I know is nothing compared to other people. I managed an NSD and I have my lunch ready for tomorrow - polish that halo:o. I'm just trying to get my head into not frittering and thinking about where my money goes.

£5 a week challenge

Mon - +£5 /£0 spends
    Tues - +£10 /£? spends

• Munchin
    Options
    Morning all

I got an email late last night about my course on Sat in Dublin - I have just sent back an email to make sure that I'm heading to the right place as it says it takes 2hours 20 mins to get there and I need to factor in a bit more as I usually take a wrong turn. I've managed to scrape together 6 euros - which I think should cover the toll booth.

I have a painter coming to my house tonight for a quote. I know it is not very MSE but he charges approx £60 per room including paint and I have put in a new kitchen & would love a professional looking paint job. My brother has used him before and recommended him so I will let you all know how that goes.

Lent starts tomorrow and early morning mass is at 6.30 tomorrow and right through all of lent (except Sat & Sun), so I better start catching up on my sleep:).

I think today I have to pay £2 to the tea club so that will eat into my £5.

Have a lovely day.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Munchin

I think that paying a painter to finish off your kitchen is probably a good call. After all, your cousins have done a good job with everything else, a good paint job will be the crowning glory. Plus it will possibly look better for longer?

I like your £5 a day challenge - it's about being mindful isn't it.

Keep going :D

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £203.56/250
    Non-food household spend June £/40
    Bulk Fund June 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 3/24 (inc. Blankets 3/6)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    M1 toll is €1.90. M50 is more but you pay at filling station or online. If your car runs on diesel, don't forget to fill up over the border. It's approx 20 p a litre cheaper at the minute.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Munchin
    Options
    Hi Greying - Painter has been & gone and the quote was £80 for kitchen and this includes glossing the door and skirting board. I'm going to go for it as it would just be the perfect final touch:) and it will all be done by the end of March.

Hi INOD - cheers for the toll fee and my 6 euros will cover it. It's been ages since I've been down south and I forgot about the cheaper diesel so thanks for the reminder. Lunch is included so I will just pack a few snacks.

I had such a close call this morning on the motorway into work. 2 cars & a van crashed into each other right in front of me. I managed to get stopped as I like to leave a bit of space between me and the car in front. There didn't appear to be any bad injuries as everyone got out but one of the cars was badly smashed up.

Today was another NSD as the tea club person wasn't about so that is another £5 still intact. Tea club person is back tomorrow so that will be my £5 broke :(. I got an email about "Living below the Line" which is about living on £1 a day and unlike myself who is trying to curtail their frittering this is a reality for people in this country.

I've been feeling good these last few days - this is probably because of the sun finally peeking out from behind all the rain :D.

£5 a week challenge

Mon - +£5 /£0 spends
    Tues - +£10 /£0 spends
    Wed - +£15/£? spends
  • Munchin
    Options
    Morning all

I have the mass thing done already:A and Lent has started. My Mum was trawling through my vegetarian cookbook from my student days yesterday for tonight's tea. I need to blow the dust of that book and start varying my food.

I have to stop and put liquid gold in my car today - only enough to get me over the border on Sat and then I can top up.

I don't have any major plans today - I never do on a work day but I'm taking nephew no 2 to judo tonight and I don't how he will feel about my £5 a day challenge as his class is £4 which leaves £1 for a treat for him. I was thinking if I should count his class in my £5 a day challenge but I will and see how I manage it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport