Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Why???? What odd habits have you got?

The most common thing that puts me off someone on internet dating is that they are too pushy and don't listen e.g. I have told a couple of people that I'm uncomfortable giving my phone number out after only one or two emails and they say they don't like email and carry on pressing me for my number. I kind of think, if you can't listen to what I'm saying now at the start, what hope is there?
    Nothing worse then someone who won't listen.

I'm not telling you my odd habits :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    There is freedating.co.uk, its not bad and has quite a good forum, but saying that I have not actually met anyone off there :( but made a good e mail friend off it.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2011 at 3:55PM
    Options
    I just rang Match.com and told them I didn't want my subscription at the end of the free trial so could I cancel. They then offered me a half price deal so I took it on condition that it wasn't on auto-renew. True to their word, they've put me on a non-auto-renew subscription! Result.

Seems like they are like mobile phone companies and Sky TV with their retention deals!

So now I've got a whole half-price month to fail miserably to meet someone instead of a mere 3 days!!!!
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    There_Goes_Trouble Posts: 821 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2011 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Good luck Jenny!!

My date tonight wasn't great, so I'm back to the beginning again....*sigh*

I'm just looking for a normal man. Anyone out there?
  • Scotty1.7
    Options
    'puts hand up'

Yep,

I can't find a decent girl to chat with and take out to try and make something happen
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am afraid my experience of dating sites was not overly good. Most of the time it seemed like if men were on there, there were very good reasons. I became quite good at sussing out the ones looking for 'fun'.., but most turned out to be social disabled in some way or kindof wanting a relationship.., but there being very good reasons why they weren't in one. One in particular, told me all about his various illnesses (when he wasn't looking at my bust and making various remarks about it), and was an obvious drinker (but the 'date' did make me giggle lol). I met a really nice man, who after two dates turned into a rampant beasty and then wouldn't even talk to me when I said no lol.

Oh and you get to be a good spotter of 70's and 80's clothing styles from men saying they are 48 when really they are 20 years older lol (with old photo's).

So personally, I'd try to find someone in real life who was available.., maybe through doing volunteer work etc.
  • RichGold
    RichGold Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    People try too hard on dates. A date I went on a while back saw a very nice educated lady (primary school teacher) and me in a country pub with her downing 4 large glasses of wine and almost raping me in my car on the way home. Normally that would be a result, but that day it didn't seem appropriate.

I don't know why I bother.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RichGold wrote: »
    People try too hard on dates. A date I went on a while back saw a very nice educated lady (primary school teacher) and me in a country pub with her downing 4 large glasses of wine and almost raping me in my car on the way home. Normally that would be a result, but that day it didn't seem appropriate.

I don't know why I bother.
    She was probably really nervous, I would definitely have called this one back.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Why???? What odd habits have you got?

The most common thing that puts me off someone on internet dating is that they are too pushy and don't listen e.g. I have told a couple of people that I'm uncomfortable giving my phone number out after only one or two emails and they say they don't like email and carry on pressing me for my number. I kind of think, if you can't listen to what I'm saying now at the start, what hope is there?

I'm more comfortable just emailing, perhaps you need to be more confident to actually 'speak' but a couple of women i've met online have said these days when it's so easy to block a caller on your mobile, if things go wrong, they think talking is better.
    If you start messaging a guy it's so much easier for him to lie when he has time to think what to write in an email, if you phone him and ask a question he has to be able to 'think on his feet' and remember what he said last time.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • RichGold
    RichGold Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    She was probably really nervous, I would definitely have called this one back.
    I don't think so. I forget to mention that the second large glass of wine was the one that she spent the time drinking exclusively talking about her ex.
    I'm quite happily coming around to the idea that I have no-one to answer to, no-one elses problems to contend with and no-one elses kids under my feet. I'm about as happy as you can be on your own.

That's not to say life couldn't be better, but it could certainly be a lot worse.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure