what are the best value dating sites?

Options

Comments

• Aspiring_Writer
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Buddhist Connect is completely free too. Ok, so not that many people on it but there only needs to be one!

Before anyone gets confused, I am part of a growing number of people who are Christian but practise aspects of Zen Buddhism! Complicated I know. Classic "pick'n'mix" spirituality! For those of us who are open-minded - or cannot make up their minds, I'm not sure which!

Getting off the topic of religion, perhaps there are more sites out there for niche markets e.g. dating sites for people with a particular hobby? Might they be better than the mass meat market ones???

That's an interesting concept Jenny...Christian/Zen Buddhism and "pick'n'mix" spirituality...you learn something new every day. :T

As for online dating, I've tried smooch and POF a few times but always seem to be the same old faces. I used to be adamant I would meet someone the 'old-fashioned" way, you know, bump into them in a pub or at work or accidentally collide with their trolley in Sainsburys :D

Now though, its as good a way as any to meet someone isn't it? Who knows what tomorrow will bring...
    "If you are going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
  • deb68_2
    deb68_2 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    on those sites how many are married but just want something else----bit on the side
    all im saying is becarefull
    x
    It's an honour having such a lovely family and being welsh, what more could a girl want :rotfl:
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2011 at 10:20PM
    Options
    i got told that only weird people do online dating.....

my signature tells the rest of the story

thought about sorting my mate out with a profile on that 'my single friend' site, he is a top bloke but maybe too nice for the real world, he thought i was insane when i joined a dating site, maybe after seeing it can work he might reconsider
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in a catch 22 now with Match.com.
    Got offered a free 3 day subscription. You have to give your card details and sign up for a subscription - they debit the card in 3 days if you haven't cancelled by then.
    BUT - and yes, I probably should have read this somewhere in the small print - you have to cancel the subscription 48 hours before it's due to debit. So in effect, you have a one day window to cancel it. I thought, ok, I'll cancel straightaway, but it won't let me. My application is "being processed" so can't be cancelled yet! The b*******s have got me!
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not singles adverts.....about dating in general!

I wonder how many folks are single on here....?

I went on a date where he paid with a PizzaExpress 2 for 1 voucher!!! Even though I love them, it was slightly off putting. I found myself thinking, "Is he mean?" rather than "He's a kindred spirit!"
    In complete honesty, I'm so glad I'm not single, the idea of having to find someone who would put up with me and that I would appear "normal" to, is quite intimidating.

But, if I had to, one of the first questions I would ask would be, if I paid for our first date with a half price voucher, would you be put off?
    If they said yes, or didn't answer, then they're not "normal" enough for me thanks :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In complete honesty, I'm so glad I'm not single, the idea of having to find someone who would put up with me and that I would appear "normal" to, is quite intimidating.

But, if I had to, one of the first questions I would ask would be, if I paid for our first date with a half price voucher, would you be put off?
    If they said yes, or didn't answer, then they're not "normal" enough for me thanks :D

I'd be more sneaky with the voucher and take it to the til rather than wait for them to collect it!!
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    newcook wrote: »
    I'd be more sneaky with the voucher and take it to the til rather than wait for them to collect it!!
    That's one way of doing it, but I feel I'd have nothing to hide tbh.....

I think I'd be too upfront for dating now, I'd want to get out what I'm really like early on and I'm sure scare all the nice ladies off.
    But maybe that's better than holding back till the tenth date and letting it all out....
    Maybe I should learn more more social skills. Oh dear :o

Maybe I shouldn't have so many bad habits I need to hide :D
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • JennyP
    Options
    I'd want to get out what I'm really like early on

I think the problem with dating is that people don't get out what they're really like early on! They put on an act! And that's never as attractive as someone just being confident enough to be themselves.
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the problem with dating is that people don't get out what they're really like early on! They put on an act! And that's never as attractive as someone just being confident enough to be themselves.
    But if I told someone I just met what I was like, they would run away! :rotfl:

Well most would, I suppose some strange ones would stay, god knows how many dates I'd have to go on to find those odd few.
  • JennyP
    Options
    But if I told someone I just met what I was like, they would run away! :rotfl:

Well most would, I suppose some strange ones would stay, god knows how many dates I'd have to go on to find those odd few.

Why???? What odd habits have you got?

The most common thing that puts me off someone on internet dating is that they are too pushy and don't listen e.g. I have told a couple of people that I'm uncomfortable giving my phone number out after only one or two emails and they say they don't like email and carry on pressing me for my number. I kind of think, if you can't listen to what I'm saying now at the start, what hope is there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure