PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what to use natural yogurt for ?

Options
When I had my shopping delivered this week I discovered a 1kg tub of natural low fat yoghurt. As I am currently cooking everything from scratch (with the aid of a Jeannette Orrey cookbook) i wondered if any of you very knowing o/s savers had any recipes that i could use it in, sweet or savoury.
Many Thanks

Comments

• Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use it in curries & it makes a great marinade.
    I think I posted a HM chicken tikka recipe in the recipe collection, that uses yoghurt & another favourite of ours in plain yoghurt, crushed garlic, lemon juice & lots of black pepper on pork. Makes great kebabs.
    You can also add fruit (fresh or dried) and cereal for breakfast
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    We like ours strained (line a colonder with a clean tea towel and let the whey drip through for an hour or two. Then divide the yogurt (which will now be thick, Greek style) into bowls and dredge with soft brown sugar. Put in the fridge while you're eating dinner so it can melt in. Honey and toasted almonds is very nice too.
  • eml_3
    eml_3 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    my daughter likes it with a spoonful of chocolate spread stirred in.

You could also try adding a bit of mint sauce and having as an Indian style minty dip.
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    I love it for breakfast with fruit, fresh or tinned in juice and a sprinkle of meusli type cereal (Jordan's pecan one is scrummy)
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    I have some on my museli (along with milk). Lovely.

Regards,

White
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a bio yoghurt you can use a bit to continue making your own yoghurt.
    Rinse out a thermos flask with boiling water and then warm 1/2 pint UHT milk to approx. body temperature (or boil some fresh milk for 5 mins without making your hob a no go area). Mix in a large tablespoon of the yoghurt, put it in a flask for approx 8 hours and abracadabra more yoghurt. You can then add fruit of your choice, sweeten with sugar (not granulated as will be gritty) or honey, or use it plain.
    I buy organic UHT milk at 79p litre and it means I can give the kids organic yoghurt for a fraction of the ready made price. (using my home grown organic fruit!)
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    forgot to say if you use fresh milk you need to leave it to cool to body temp after you have boiled it otherwise you kill the bacteria in the bio yoghurt.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    I need to use one big tub of greek yoghurt and i was going to make some scones by using yoghurt instead of buttermilk but I think I'd like to make some cake as well.any ideas?:confused:
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • Skintmama
    Options
    125ml vegetable oil
    125ml natural yogurt
    60ml golden syrup
    175g soft brown sugar
    3 eggs
    225g 85% selfraising wholemeal flour
    (I just useed some wholemeal in with white SR flour)
    45ml (3tbsp) cocoa
    25ml (1/2tsp) bicarbonate of soda
    25ml (1/2tsp) salt

Place the oil, syrup, sugar and eggs into a bowl and beat well. Add the yogurt and beat again. Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarb together and add to the yogurt mixture. Mix well. Pour mixture into greased and lined 8 inch round cake tin. Cook for up to 1 1/2 hours. Turn out when cool

Oven temp is 170C (325F)

This is from the Rayburn Cookbook. I have also cooked in an Aga. It did not take the full 1 1/2 hours and I would also reduce the temp and time if yours is a fan oven.

Makes a light cake which I split and filled with whipped cream and strawberries.

I often have the Greek Yogurt problem too and it does make great scones.
    Also tzatsiki is a nice way to use it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport