We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here

1…148149151153154…224

Comments

  • thanks so much for your speedy reply dzug1 - will go check out advance singles as you suggest x :T
  • Spending sometime on the web checking fares for Tiverton to London for peak hours, I found a £44 saving using the same train.

    Split Tickets:
    06:50 - 08:07 Tiverton to Pewsey £33.50 Peak (anytime)
    08:08 - 09:21 Pewsey to London £21.50 Off Peak
    Total: £55.00

    Normal Ticket:
    06:50 - 09:21 Tiverton to London £99.00 Peak (anytime)

    Go figure....

    Craig.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    craig_cram wrote: »
    Spending sometime on the web checking fares for Tiverton to London for peak hours, I found a £44 saving using the same train.

    Split Tickets:
    06:50 - 08:07 Tiverton to Pewsey £33.50 Peak (anytime)
    08:08 - 09:21 Pewsey to London £21.50 Off Peak
    Total: £55.00

    Normal Ticket:
    06:50 - 09:21 Tiverton to London £99.00 Peak (anytime)

    Go figure....

    Craig.

    Better still - £25.50 advance single on the same train. Just choose your date carefully.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,773 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Just saved myself a little on a Journey Cardiff-Bournemouth. Cheapest advance single was £18, which I thought was very reasonable. Routeing is First Great Western Cardiff Central - Southampton then Southamton - Bournemouth via Southwest or Cross Country. However, split ticketing got me:

    Cardiff Central - Bristol Parkway £3
    Bristol Parkway - Southampton Central £7.50 (Same FGW train)
    Southampton Central - Bournemouth £2 (Cross Country)

    Total £12.50. Ok, not the biggest saving in the world, but every little helps as they say. Never really tried split ticketing before as the train journeys I usually use have excellent advance singles. Gave me something to do on a boring Tuesday afternoon!
  • Does anyone know if this split-ticketing is allowed using returns? I've read a few pages and all use singles or advanced singles.

    My journey is Inverness - Glasgow (QS) for which a Super Off-Peak return is £45.80, but two individual returns Inverness - Perth and Perth - Glasgow (QS) are £22.40 and £14.30 respectively which would save £9.10.

    So would I be able to use two return tickets for the one journey (seeing as it's the same train)?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,180 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if this split-ticketing is allowed using returns? I've read a few pages and all use singles or advanced singles.

    My journey is Inverness - Glasgow (QS) for which a Super Off-Peak return is £45.80, but two individual returns Inverness - Perth and Perth - Glasgow (QS) are £22.40 and £14.30 respectively which would save £9.10.

    So would I be able to use two return tickets for the one journey (seeing as it's the same train)?
    Perfectly valid... as long as the trains you are travelling on stop at Perth.
  • karinski
    karinski Posts: 81 Forumite
    Wondered if anyone could help? I'm trying to find a cheaper ticket if possible to Wakefield from London, out on Friday 23 after 6, back sometime on Sunday afternoon (25th) leaving about 3 or 4 (although this is movable).

    Currently best I can find is £74.

    Thanks!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Edit: Reply is to Karinski - forgot to quote post.

    If you can delay your outward journey until 21.30 you can get an online offer Advance ticket for £13 from Kings Cross to Wakefield Westgate. There are several Advance singles throughout the day of your return @ £37. Total £50.

    Check out www.eastcoast.co.uk
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

  • Hi guys,
    I am planing a travel by train to stansted airport from york and return on 27 july.
    Could you please advise how to split the journey.
    thanks a lot
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    perulagea wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am planing a travel by train to stansted airport from york and return on 27 july.
    Could you please advise how to split the journey.
    thanks a lot


    I'd wait for the cheap tickets to be released and go for though tickets. Another month maybe

    If that doesn't work try Peterborough
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.