We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone heard from Barclays since the gesture of goodwill letter?

Options

Comments

• PJ74
    PJ74 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    trigspur wrote: »
    Thanks for that, did it say anything about payments being made by the 31st Aug or just working on offer letters sent out by then. I like many other started my claim last Oct and have only had the goodwill letter in June. Other posters have said that they have a further 6-8 weeks to make the payment, once they have had your offer letter back. Any mention of this?

I'm in work this afternoon so don't have the letter with me but the way I read it was that they hope to have everything done by the deadlines which I took to mean that they would be paid out (although that might just be me wishful thinking)
  • katykc
    Options
    i also recieved a letter from barclays today, first letter ive had since the gesture, to say that they are working to the deadlie and that due to the number of calls they have recieved regarding an update, that they will no longer be giving information out over the phone, which is understandable. They have probably had thousands of calls since the gesture letters were sent, my only concern is that i filed my complaint in early jan 2011,and that i am still paying for the PPI insurence, and noone seems to know whether we will recieve our payments before the 31st august or if we will just recieve a breakdown and a form to sign and return, to b honest i dont want to have to wait another x amount of weeks to recieve the payment, i think the length of time we have all waited is long enough.im sure there are many of us still waiting, looks like they will keep us
    waiting right up to the 31st!
  • Dan_Iggulden
    Options
    To be honest with you, I would think if you haven;t received your offer letter yet, then you have zero chance of it being paid before Aug 31st..... my offer letter came last Tuesday, Barclays would have received my acceptance yesterday, I will consider myself lucky if I am paid before end of the month.
  • Dizzywithmoney
    Options
    I got my offer letter today from First Plus (unfortunately I was silly back in the day when I first started all of this and did it through a claims company but hey its money I wouldnt have had!!) and its a really good offer. It did say at the bottom that payment would be made within 6-8 weeks of receiving the acceptance form back.

I just hope they are like Egg - they said the cheque would be received within 7-10 days and it came after 4!!!

Fingers crossed!!
  • gilli42
    Options
    I have just spoken to Barclays, my letter of exceptance was signed for by registered post on the 1st August, they still have no sign of it on the system, I am still repaying the end of my loan and was due to pay my next payment this week, if I was to pay this amount then this will change the rest of my ammended payments for the loan. I said that I would cancel my loan payment for this month as the new agreement stated the next payment to be in Spetember. The advice from the customer service member of staff was not to cancel it as it would be detrimental to my credit record. I find this really hard to understand. Barclays owe me over £4,000, they do not even think that they are in the wrong. (I feel sorry for the other 75,000 other people that have made a complaint, as just quoted by the customer service advisor.) oh what to do cancel my loan payment or not cancel it that is the question.......
  • Rebecca01
    Rebecca01 Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I phoned Barclays today aswell, to change my address. They wouldnt do is as I didnt know my 5 digit passcode. ( We dont use our current account anymore). They said they cant change it on the PPI claim without the bank account being changed. Hmmm

I also asked if an offer letter had been sent out to our old address. They said No not yet. We claimed in October.

So who knows when we will hear now, I am going to write to the new tenant of our house and send them an envelope to post to us incase a Barclays letter comes.

One day maybe!!! sigh!!!!
  • Dan_Iggulden
    Options
    Rebecca01 wrote: »
    I phoned Barclays today aswell, to change my address. They wouldnt do is as I didnt know my 5 digit passcode. ( We dont use our current account anymore). They said they cant change it on the PPI claim without the bank account being changed. Hmmm

I also asked if an offer letter had been sent out to our old address. They said No not yet. We claimed in October.

So who knows when we will hear now, I am going to write to the new tenant of our house and send them an envelope to post to us incase a Barclays letter comes.

One day maybe!!! sigh!!!!

Why don't you put a RM redirection to make sure you get any correspondance from Barclays?

Whilst I appreciate the sheer volume of complaints made to the banks, the level of service offered has been nothing short of disgusting.
  • Rebecca01
    Rebecca01 Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you put a RM redirection to make sure you get any correspondance from Barclays?

Whilst I appreciate the sheer volume of complaints made to the banks, the level of service offered has been nothing short of disgusting.

well when I tried to it wouldn't let me as my current account was registered at our new address. So then I thought I wouldn't bother as I changed all the addresses, but Barclays. I thought about doing it today but it takes five working days, maybe optimistic but the letter could be in this time. Plus we shouldnt have to pay because Barclays are taking ages.Hmm. I agree the service has been terrible.
  • Iain1983
    Iain1983 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    gilli42 wrote: »
    I have just spoken to Barclays, my letter of exceptance was signed for by registered post on the 1st August, they still have no sign of it on the system, I am still repaying the end of my loan and was due to pay my next payment this week, if I was to pay this amount then this will change the rest of my ammended payments for the loan. I said that I would cancel my loan payment for this month as the new agreement stated the next payment to be in Spetember. The advice from the customer service member of staff was not to cancel it as it would be detrimental to my credit record. I find this really hard to understand. Barclays owe me over £4,000, they do not even think that they are in the wrong. (I feel sorry for the other 75,000 other people that have made a complaint, as just quoted by the customer service advisor.) oh what to do cancel my loan payment or not cancel it that is the question.......

This is very bizarre, I am having the same problem! I posted my acceptance letter back on 6th August by 1st class recorded..... they havent had it yet. If you noticed the address on the pre paid envelope didnt match the address on the letter, so maybe that was part of the delay tactic.....
  • The_Wanderer
    Options
    Firstly congrats to those of you who've won your claims and good luck to those of you expecting to get paid by the 31st of August.

Because I thought that I was out of time in claiming, I didn't bother until a friend of mine said that I should try. I have two questions:

1. Why are some claimants accepting offers which are significantly less than the original claim? I read earlier in this very informative thread of someone claiming around £2,500 but accepting £1,500.

2. Because I've only recently been persuaded to claim, I actually sent my preliminary letter yesterday. Has anyone got an idea what timescale I can expect from Barclays from now to an actual offer or payout should one be made? The claim relates to a 5-year Woolwich personal loan started 9 years ago. My claim, including the 8% is just over £5,000. I will not be going the fos route. I was sucessful several years ago in having several thousand pounds bank charges refunded from Barclays. They settled just after a court date was issued.

Good luck to you all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family