Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have flogged my husband's bling?

Options

Comments

• runneratmidnight
    Options
    You should be feeling guilty! That was his property and his decision to sell whether it was hideous or not.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully your husband doesn't go through the back of your wardrobe, selling off the stuff you never wear for a fraction of what it is worth.
  • Middle_Sister
    Options
    Ach...... you did right! It was money just lying there. You go girl.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bang out of order. even if he's forgotten about it, how will you explain where the money in the bank came from?
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • MrsMUFC_2
    Options
    In around 2001, my brother was a bit flush and he'd heard me raving to my sister about a gorgeous beachbag I'd seen. It was quite expensive and I didn't know if I could justify spending the money. He came to me and gave me the money and told me to treat myself for my upcoming birthday. I still have that bag, even thought I don't use it nowadays as it's a bit knackered.

In 2005 my brother died, and that bag is the only thing I have that he bought me - it's my most treasured possession. I still can't bear to look at a photograph of my brother as I still get too upset but every time I open the wardrobe and catch a glimpse of that bag, I smile and remember how my brother laughed when I showed him what his money had bought.

How does the OP know whether that chain (no matter how tacky she thinks it is) doesn't hold the same kind of sentimental value? What an appalling abuse of trust.
  • yorkshireman99_2
    Options
    Wrong! Never make purchases, sales, or other financial transactions without agreeing with spouse first.
  • hernehillian_2
    Options
    It's bad enough that you decided off your own bat to dispose of your husband's property, but the fact that you sold his watch in such a knuckle-headed way is breathtaking. What were you thinking? I would love to know how you would feel if one day you got home to discover that your husband had sold a necklace of yours because he thought it looked hideous on you. This is a classic example of the double standards that seem to operate in many heterosexual partnerships ie 'what's mine is mine , and what's his is mine'. Shame on you.
  • marktwo_2
    Options
    I think the OP may be asking: I've gone and done something really dumb [as many have pointed out at length!] - how can I get out from under this cloud?

If it is really impossible to undo what has been done, as I presume it is, the quickest route back to an open and sound relationship is to own up. "He (or she) who covers his sin shall not prosper, but he (or she) who confesses and forsakes them will find mercy". My experience has been that this is very true. (After I had taken back the stuff I stole, I felt as if I could fly from sheer relief!) It takes guts to do it of course, but I would say: go for it! You may win your partner's respect - though this would be a poor motive compared to doing the right thing because it is right.
  • CutTheJargon
    CutTheJargon Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Saetana wrote: »
    I think the accusations of theft are an over-reaction, they are married, joint property and all that plus the money has gone into their joint account, its not like the wife has taken it to spend on a new dress or something.
    QUOTE]

I can't agree that a piece of jewellery is considered 'joint' property. Are you saying the engagement and wedding rings my husband gave me are not mine and that he owns half?

Even if they were considered joint property, she stole 'his' half. What next - put the 'joint' house on the market? Oh, no, of course, she couldn't do that because he would notice. Better just steal and sell something he won't ;)
  • sharalee99
    sharalee99 Posts: 639 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just read the Op's post out to my husband and asked him how he would feel if I did that to him.
    Lets just say he wouldn't be best pleased!
    What gives anyone the right to take something that belongs to someone else, be it spouse or not? I wouldn't dream of taking anything that belonged to my hubby, and flogging it, whether I liked it or not, just as I wouldn't like it if he took anything of mine.
    So, yes I think it was wrong and I think OP should own up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure