Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have flogged my husband's bling?

Comments

• psdie
    psdie Posts: 126 Forumite
    Theft and abuse of trust, pure and simple. :(

Does the OP's husband need to keep their possessions in a safe now to prevent them being sold the next time money is tight? As others have said, how would the OP feel in the reverse - her wedding dress / family keepsake that she no longer wears, perhaps? And how does she know he's forgotten about it - just because he hasn't mentioned it recently?!

It boils down to: why not discuss with him first? If it had no sentimental value, there would have been no issue. If it had sentimental value, all the more important to ask first - and perhaps volunteer some personal sacrifices too instead of forcing his.
    How can it be theft if she hasnt kept the proceeds? The money has gone into their joint account, she hasnt pocketed it and gone shoe shopping! What a ridiculous over reaction!

Rubbish - she pocketed 50% of the sale of his personal property by putting into the joint. If she'd deposited into his personal account, there'd be less culpability. As it is, the OP has some apologising to do and should expect a degree of lost trust.
  • piprod01
    piprod01 Posts: 11 Forumite
    There is a distinction between this and the typical theft - a thief doesn't give back the proceeds of their crimes. It's not as bad as theft, but it's not excusable, ether.
  • bogwart
    bogwart Posts: 117 Forumite
    Quite wrong. You should at least have discussed it with him. If cash is tight and this stuff had been tucked away I don't see how he would have objected - but if he did then that's his right.

Now go and stand in the corner for an hour. ;)
  • Marco12452
    Marco12452 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Think how you would feel if he flogged your jewellery, and gave you half the money ?
    Not nice is it ???
  • Tiddles12
    Tiddles12 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Yay there's one less chunky gold necklace in the world!! Phew
  • oh come on guys, its not the end of the world! i would fess up though, chances are he will just about forgive you ;) well depends on what you offer to do to make it up to him :cool: :p
  • silverswan wrote: »
    Well thank god neither my husband or I are as materialistic as most folk on this site. Real love transcends a bit of UNWANTED tacky jewellery. In marriage you often make decisions for each other, and in reply to those who say "how would you like it if he sold something of yours?" Well if I hadn't used/seen/wanted or worn it for 10 years and he managed to get £200 for it I would be thrilled.
    What if a burglar had stolen it? Would he ever have noticed? I doubt it.
    Yes we all have things that are sentimental and a partner would know this, but I don't think this was the case here, and all those shouting 'thief; stealing; grounds for divorce etc...well glad I'm not married to you. By the way, there are no pockets in a shroud!
    i feel the same, if my hubby had sold some old jewellery of mine i would be thrilled with the extra £200 that we needed. I wouldnt feel betrayed in the slightest.
  • justme
    justme Posts: 14 Forumite
    Of course it was wrong. To make sure he doesn't find out you sold it, withdraw the £200 and buy yourself a nice dress, shoes, handbag or something. Put it at the back of your wardrobe for a week or two and when you eventually get it out, if he notices the new object, you say " New this old thing. I got for so and sos wedding, birthday, leaving do, Christmas party anything. That always works for me. Oh and remember to burn the receipts.;)
  • milvusvestal
    milvusvestal Posts: 104 Forumite
    Claiming that you're short of money is no excuse. It wasn't yours to sell. I think you'd better come clean and tell your husband what you did.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Wow you shouldn't have sold it without discussing first.

If my husband sold my jewellery without asking I would punch him right in the face!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure