Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have flogged my husband's bling?

Comments

• Cimscate
    Cimscate Forumite Posts: 145
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :TThat you put the money in the joint account. Personally I would have spent it myself!!!
  • stmartinsdiver
    stmartinsdiver Forumite Posts: 127 Forumite
    I don't think you need anyone else to tell you it was wrong - my other half recently disposed of something I rarely used that she thought I'd forgotten about, but when I went to use it and found it gone she had to come clean and admit it had gone to a charity shop some weeks earliier. Did I forgive her - yes, will she do it again? Hopefully not. Will you get found out? Probably. Will he forgive you? Only you know, but is he more likely to if you come clean and tell him now? Your call.
  • consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Forumite Posts: 3,508
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 June 2011 at 11:53AM
    mr-t-gold-chains-sparkling.gif?w=417&h=413

I'm gonna be selling her shoes and handbags FOOOOOOOOOL
  • bennett2kuk
    bennett2kuk Forumite Posts: 93 Forumite
    Yikes, I personally think gold is tackier than a very tacky thing that's been left out in the sun so is even tackier, whilst being force fed tacky pills on national tacky tacky day in tackyville USA!
    Don't feel guilty, he'll never know and if he ever does remember he'll think he just lost it. You seriously did him a favour!
  • silverswan
    silverswan Forumite Posts: 34 Forumite
    Well thank god neither my husband or I are as materialistic as most folk on this site. Real love transcends a bit of UNWANTED tacky jewellery. In marriage you often make decisions for each other, and in reply to those who say "how would you like it if he sold something of yours?" Well if I hadn't used/seen/wanted or worn it for 10 years and he managed to get £200 for it I would be thrilled.
    What if a burglar had stolen it? Would he ever have noticed? I doubt it.
    Yes we all have things that are sentimental and a partner would know this, but I don't think this was the case here, and all those shouting 'thief; stealing; grounds for divorce etc...well glad I'm not married to you. By the way, there are no pockets in a shroud!
  • p00
    p00 Forumite Posts: 824
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Obviously when he does the same to your jewelry you'll understand that you shouldnt just sell other peoples things.
  • mindwave
    mindwave Forumite Posts: 11 Forumite
    What is that woman on, of course you don't sell your husband's bling without asking first. Just goes to show what this generation of people are like. Moron
  • JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Forumite Posts: 103 Forumite
    silverswan wrote: »
    Real love transcends a bit of UNWANTED tacky jewellery. In marriage you often make decisions for each other,

Pass me a bucket!! So because those of us in relationships here would prefer that our partners had enough repsoect for us that they consult us before they sell our belongings we don't know what real love is?! Give over!!

Yes in marriage you often make decisions for each other of course, that's what it's all about but marriage is also about a partnership and consulting each other over decisions also....I don't think it's unreasonable for a person to expect their partner to ask them if they mind before they flog their posessions no matter how tacky it is or how long it's been put away!

But my partner and I clearly don't have 'real' love as we talk to each other instead of selling/throwing away each others things without having a conversation first!

Each to their own and all that!

Oh and how do you know he didn't WANT it...did you ask him?!
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • JoannaS_3
    JoannaS_3 Forumite Posts: 103 Forumite
    mindwave wrote: »
    What is that woman on, of course you don't sell your husband's bling without asking first. Just goes to show what this generation of people are like. Moron

I don't think her generation has anything to do with it as from the post there is no way of telling how old she is and what generation she belongs to! Don't tar a whole group with the same brush or we'll be forced to think all old people are rude and ageist like you!! ;)
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Forumite Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    silverswan wrote: »
    Well thank god neither my husband or I are as materialistic as most folk on this site. Real love transcends a bit of UNWANTED tacky jewellery. In marriage you often make decisions for each other, and in reply to those who say "how would you like it if he sold something of yours?" Well if I hadn't used/seen/wanted or worn it for 10 years and he managed to get £200 for it I would be thrilled.
    What if a burglar had stolen it? Would he ever have noticed? I doubt it.
    Yes we all have things that are sentimental and a partner would know this, but I don't think this was the case here, and all those shouting 'thief; stealing; grounds for divorce etc...well glad I'm not married to you. By the way, there are no pockets in a shroud!

It's got nothing to do with money. It's the betrayal of trust. If she thought he wouldn't mind she wouldn't have sneaked around behind his back. It doesn't matter if it's a little money or a lot, it's the principle. The fact that she doesn't like it doesn't mean it's tacky, and even if it is tacky, it's his and he liked it. it still isn't her belonging to sell. I'm glad I'm not married to someone with so little regard for my taste or the things I value!

'Little' betrayals can be as devastating as 'big' ones. The only way she'll find out how much this one matters is to 'fess up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 232K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure