credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    James wrote: »
    T

Tonight with Trevor McDonald, Friday 4th May at 8 pm, for those interested in this topic.

ITV 21:00
    "As credit card fraud begins to run out of control, TONIGHT investigates the impact of a problem which the police can apparently do little to contain.
    Fiona Foster talks to individuals suddenly faced with empty accounts, companies left to pick up the bill for stolen goods, and banks struggling to improve security reassure their customers".

Note: as TONIGHT reacts to the news, its subject matter may change.
  • poorbabe
    poorbabe Posts: 896 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John_Pierpoint, I'm not sure. Egg didn't say. I'm going to assume so as the card was in my physical possession at the times. I'm going to ring them over the weekend to get an update on the situation.

Update: Rang Egg this morning and their Fraud department is checking things out. It seems the fraud was an online one and they !!!!!!ed up on the expiry date for three transactions, so I was lucky to lose just £8. I declined Egg's offer to activate the new account and that will remain so till the end of the month or I get a result on the enquiry.
  • bobzej
    bobzej Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    manhattan wrote: »
    hi,
    over the last few weeks i have had a few fraudulant transactions appear on my credit card and i just got the card stopped before a big transaction was attempted.all money was refunded, card cancelled and new card issued.

now, after checking my new card that i received about 2 weeks ago i have noticed a pending transaction that is not recognised and called my credit card company again.

they say it is a transaction from a software company but do not have the full details until it has cleared and i have to phone back to dispute the transaction in a day or two.

i was just wondering if any others on this forum have had any credit card fraud transactions recently, as i do buy through a few links on the grabbit section of this sight and rarely use the card elseware except hotukdeals site.
    i am just trying to work out how they have managed to get my new card details?

any help would be great

Hi,..Yes I hve just had four fraudulent transaction on my Barclay card this month which are certainly not with my authority. I have canceled the card immediately, filled in a form to dispute the transactions, and have now been issued with a new card. However, I notice on my account this month that all these transactions are included which amout to 70 uk pounds. I guess there will be a big one next but it wont work! Ishall pay my card off in full, as I always do minus these transactions.
    Like you, I am very careful how I use my card, mostly for food and petrol at tesco, which is chip and pin. How on earth do these people get hold of one's details? I just cannot work that out, because the card has never been out of my site and I have not dealt with any doggy companies.
    I am at present just using cash, I am almost frightened to use this new card I have.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a Cahoot credit card which has what they call a 'Webcard' facility.

Basically just before you pay for something online, you load up the Webcard utility on your computer, log in, tell it the maximum amount of money you need to cover the transaction and Webcard will generate a unique card number valid only once, with an expiry date of just a couple of weeks and the necessary 3 digit security number.

This information would be completely useless once the transaction has gone through, and the Cahoot credit card is debited in the normal way.

Nothing is debited from your account unless the transaction goes through, so if you generate a card number and don't use it absolutely nothing happens.

I don't understand why more isn't made of this feature. The Webcard facility is available with Cahoot credit & debit cards.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did anyone catch Tonight With Trevor McDonald last night?

Fraud Frenzy!

Any comments?
  • Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I've been using credit cards for over 20 years, in shops, on line, all sorts of places. Don't want to tempt fate, but I've never had a problem.
    Take a chill pill, James!
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mozette wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been using credit cards for over 20 years, in shops, on line, all sorts of places. Don't want to tempt fate, but I've never had a problem.
    Take a chill pill, James!

I was one of Barclaycard's first customers at least 30 years ago.

Until last Xmas, I had never had a problem. In fact having a credit card was a positive benefit over cash: In 1978 Mrs P had her handbag stolen, when on a shopping spree in Croydon. This was in the days before mobile phones so I got to work on shift, to be told the good news. So I had to act blind. I cancelled the B'card and they were as nice as pie. Access more or less accused me of being paid to have it stolen. The good news was that the thief took the cash and the Luncheon Vouchers and dumped the bag, complete with the two cards in the public lavatory.
    I also benefited from furnishing my new home at the "illegally acquired but legally recovered auction" here in Essex. This was "Access" selling off its court and investigation exhibits. Even in the 1970's the auction was frequented by amoral little scumbags, boasting to each other as they recognised goods they had stolen.

Like you I felt invincible about computer viruses and credit card fraud.

I have reached the moment of truth on both of these threats.

This is my credit card light bulb moment:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=332339

It will be you next for the reasons explained in this thread.

As demonstrated in the ITV program: traders can be brought to bankruptcy
    and cardholders will loose days of their life, even if they get back their money.

Meanwhile the banks can now sail through the mess they have created, chanting "we are protected by the unbreakable pin system" so why should we try to stamp out the crime.

I wish you luck, you might need it.

John.
  • trubster
    trubster Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    James wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Tonight With Trevor McDonald last night?

Fraud Frenzy!

Any comments?

Just finished watching it now, I cant believe the banks still think chip and pin is safe! I think ALL Customers should be offered a C&S Card.

Ask yourself: What would you do if your bank says your account is empty and there is nothing you can do about it?
    We’ve had to remove your signature because your opinion differs from ours. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why you can not have your own opinion on here and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • trubster
    trubster Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Cards are always safer than cash. The chances of you becoming a victim of card fraud are still low (fraudulent transactions make up 0.141% of all transactions). If you are unlucky enough to be a victim you will not suffer any financial loss as a consequence providing you have not acted fraudulently or without reasonable care.
    From APACS Web Site,

The above quote SHOULD be enough to cover you if you are a victim of C&P Fraud, but the banks still ignore it, how do they get away with it?
    We’ve had to remove your signature because your opinion differs from ours. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why you can not have your own opinion on here and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ferret1234
    Ferret1234 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Just found this thread after searching for cc card fraud.

My bank statement shows 4 100 pound payments taken via switch which i have not made, my bank is working on it now.

This is after not using my switch card for around 4 months online till last week when i purchased some DVds off Shop Neo.

Ive read the thread and wondered do they still have a problem?

I think i need to direct my bank to this thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure