credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Radio 5 Live covering Chip & PIN Garage Fraud between 1030 and 1200 today (Sunday 27).

Magnitude of garage crime disclosed this morning on R5.

Follow-up on after 1200.
  • irv
    irv Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    BARHUMBUG :(

Just checked my online banking with Smile and noticed almost £300 has been stolen using my Credit Card this past week.

I don't normally use the Credit Card but a week before I went on my holidays I used it to buy some $ from Tesco online, £400 worth (£500 credit limit on that card)...not as daft as it sounds as a few days later I repaid £250 and was going the pay the rest off this weekend (the week after I got back from sunny California)...but checked tonight and 4 fraudulent transactions have taken place in the last week........

23/05/2007 THETRAINLINE.COM WWW.THETRAINL GB £68.00+
    22/05/2007 THETRAINLINE.COM WWW.THETRAINL GB £41.60+
    22/05/2007 THETRAINLINE.COM WWW.THETRAINL GB £41.60+
    20/05/2007 EXPEDIA*TRAVEL 800-***-3476 £145.26+

What I find strange is that they are all travel related, considering the only transaction I've made on the CC for a long while was for travel money (never used any of these companies before btw!).

Needless to say I've reported this to my bank via the web portal & email and will call them in the morning, what bugs me is that the first transaction took place on the day I flew back off my holiday - I hope I'm not going to have any problems convincing my bank I didn't make these transactions?!?!?! All will be e-ticket type transactions this scum-bag has made, soooooooooooo incredibly frustrating knowing I've been ripped off! :confused:
  • James
    Options
    Then check your statements. The Garage Scams continue;

ANOTHER Hornchurch petrol station has been hit by a credit card cloning scam . Esso this time.

Last time BP:

Last month the Recorder revealed how motorists had noticed large sums of cash missing from their bank accounts after using the BP garage in Hornchurch Road.

Story click here.
  • Mr_Gordon_2
    Mr_Gordon_2 Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Second time in two years I've been hit with fraud on my credit card, same card supplier too. Last time around (see earlier in the tread) it was for a wedding in India and numerous plane tickets, this time for a credit check company for recurring checks. Thankfully I caught the fraud early and the transactions came to less than £100 which have been refunded, and a new card supplied. It's still a hassle though.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Hi James,

MSE forums are now one of Google's high hit sites and as such is attracting some welcome new posters who have identified the "Virtual World" inspired real world crime of "Gold farming".

I don't know if real life is so awful, but tens of millions of us are now spending the majority of our leisure time living in a fantasy world.

There is a modest entry charge to these playgrounds, so what you need to escape from reality is a (stolen) credit card and when you get there you discover yourself being drawn into a rat race just like the real world. I believe someone got a Nobel prize for demonstrating that however rich we are we still want more to outshine our peers. Where there is greed there is fraud.

Very interesting link BUT you have to read to the end to realise what is going on.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=450004

Harry
  • WaltD
    WaltD Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I received my credit card statement this morning and found two charges for £20 each on 5th June in favour of "MOBILE E TOPUP". I did not make these purchases, but when I rang the credit card company (Tesco Visa) this morning they said "there was no evidence of fraud" and said they would send me a form to fill in. They also said that "Mobile E Topup" is Carphone Warehouse ... a company I have never had any dealings with.

I am not at all happy, as I strongly suspect that my card may have been cloned, but the card provider has not even offered to change my card number. Should I close my account immediately as a precaution?
  • silkglade
    silkglade Posts: 559 Forumite
    Options
    WaltD wrote: »
    I received my credit card statement this morning and found two charges for £20 each on 5th June in favour of "MOBILE E TOPUP". I did not make these purchases, but when I rang the credit card company (Tesco Visa) this morning they said "there was no evidence of fraud" and said they would send me a form to fill in. They also said that "Mobile E Topup" is Carphone Warehouse ... a company I have never had any dealings with.

I am not at all happy, as I strongly suspect that my card may have been cloned, but the card provider has not even offered to change my card number. Should I close my account immediately as a precaution?

Hi, I would get straight back on the phone and tell them that the transactions are not yours and that you have never had dealings with this company - I would then tell them that you want a stop put on your card straight away and a new one issued.

Hope this helps
  • James
    Options
    Used your plastic recently at a Petrol Staion in Greasby, The Wirral?

Check your statements.

Story click here.

Don't let them pinch your PIN - get yourself Chip & Signature.

Latest Video (21 Jun 2007) from the BBC.

Click here.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    One way to keep the figures honest is to remember that the bank officers go to jail if they present misleading information on losses to investors.

If you don't think they know and care about the penalties, I was visiting the home of a bank vice president when he happened to be working on a takeover deal, with secret meetings in hotel rooms going on. He cautioned me to say nothing because it would be insider trading and I'd end up in prison.

Same article: "Online bank fraud losses rose by 55 per cent from £14.5m in the first six months of 2005 to £22.5m in the same period this year. These losses primarily involved phishing scams, which typically involve consumers receiving bogus emails purporting to come from their bank that attempt to dupe consumers into handing over sensitive account information to fraudulent web sites run by fraudsters."

"Total fraudulent losses fell from £219.5m to £209.3m over the first six month of 2006, a decline APACS attributes to the introduction of chip and PIN."

A quarter of a billion the year before chip and pin was introduced would have been about right.

Hi Jamesd,

Banks may or may not be reporting cc fraud losses to their shareholders but today we have questions being asked about the huge improvement in cc fraud figures as reported to the police by the banks.

The BBC, in its struggle for "balance" put up [FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Sandra Quinn of Apacs, who sounded as if she could not convince herself, let alone the rest of us. Reduced to muttering some platitudes about the police never having had the resources to investigate anyway. [/FONT]

That is all right then, come to Britain for honest money. The banks are getting on top of the CC fraud mountain and the government has not been allowing the money supply to balloon at 12 percent a year.

Harry.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6724942,00.html

It is good to see our American cousins bringing the international dimension to this crime:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5522305#post5522305
  • crankup
    crankup Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got my CC statement today. I had 10 x £100 transactions with ITunes over a weekend end of May! I dont even have an ITunes account. :mad:

CC issuer closed the card, and said as it was "Cardholder Not Present" transactions they will claim the money back from Itunes and I would not be charged. And issue me a new card.

Prior to this I had only used the card 4 times recently - 2 Asda till purchases, 1 Morrison petrol purchase, and an online camping store. Hmmmmm.....
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills