🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options
hi,
over the last few weeks i have had a few fraudulant transactions appear on my credit card and i just got the card stopped before a big transaction was attempted.all money was refunded, card cancelled and new card issued.

now, after checking my new card that i received about 2 weeks ago i have noticed a pending transaction that is not recognised and called my credit card company again.

they say it is a transaction from a software company but do not have the full details until it has cleared and i have to phone back to dispute the transaction in a day or two.

i was just wondering if any others on this forum have had any credit card fraud transactions recently, as i do buy through a few links on the grabbit section of this site and rarely use the card elseware except hotukdeals site.
i am just trying to work out how they have managed to get my new card details?

any help would be great

Comments

• zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I have, and thanks for reminding me. I meant to call them today but forgot.

I have one particulalrly weird transaction which I shall probably post about when I sort it out and 2 to AT&T, who I thought went bust years ago.

These are on a credit card that I no longer use.
  • manhattan
    manhattan Posts: 1,461 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    zenmaster

i have 2 transactions pending from the same company, as far as i know it is a software company or software transaction.
  • Mr_Gordon_2
    Options
    Back in may I had about a dozen transactions, mostly for airline tickets but one on 'India's biggest matrimonial website' :) I can only guess the guy got married then went 11 honeymoons. Card was changed and transactions all treated as fraud. It's not been that straight forward though as I've had to call the fraud dept quite a few times since due to pending transactions coming up over three statements.

Most recently I received a letter in the post from Germany, seemingly from one of the merchants this fraudster used my card. They had added lots of late fees to this transaction and were threating me with legal action!
    This was all on my Amazon Mastercard, who I have to say have been pretty helpful with the whole thing except for the one guy on customer services who basically told me 'the legal action bit, go sort it out yourself it's not for us to do it'. The fraud dept did however want to see the letter and have assured me they have been in contact again with the airline and I'll have no further letters.

It's certainly not the most pleasant of things to go through.
  • sjc_2
    sjc_2 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Just had to cancel my Barclaycard, three fraudulent transactions on it one from a Bailiffs for £502 and two transactions for VirginTrains.co.uk. Had a new card issued just awaiting them taking the transactions of my account.
    Cheers
    Steve
  • **purplemoon**
    Options
    Both me and OH have been hit the last couple weeks, my Tesco card and his HSBC card, seems there's a spate of it in the run up to xmas from what the card companies were saying so everyone must check their statements thoroughly.

I almost missed the first transaction for £40ish as I'd made a few orders myself around that amount and it wasn't till my card was declined in the supermarket last week that I found out there were more pending for several hundred pounds!
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    Happened to my husband last year before chip and pin was introduced. We believe the card was cloned at a petrol station. Anyway, transactions were made at the airport and in spain. In total around £1600 was spent. We got all the money back from the bank but it took about 6 weeks.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As of last week Nationwide have a 2 week backlog of disputed transaction cases .

You did ask if any others have fallen victim to card fraud recently well here's a few all within the last few months - And a lot more statements will be arriving:

Peterborough

Eastbourne

Black Country

Bromley

Bolton

Inverness

Hampstead - Esther Rantzen.

Makes you think?
  • manhattan
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    james, i have visited that garage in the first link, but not used my cards there.
  • manhattan
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    apparently they had a hole in a ceiling tile above the credit card terminal, recording pin numbers the hole has now been covered over with some card.
  • smartie-rolo
    Options
    I too have a natiowide debit card, that was cloned and used to buy a holiday and ferry travel.Stena line are going to wait for them to show up on the 23rd December and arrest them at the port! I would like to know how they got my card number......l do have a new card now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport