credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I work for Barclays, I think I know what I'm talking about.

LMAO you're being sarcastic right?

I work for Devon County Council but that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about when it comes to taxation, public services, road surfaces, economy and transportation.

Far from it, I work in IT and I know nothing about anything to do with Devon County Council other than the layout of their Active Directory group structure and the such like!!

Just because you work for a company in no way shape or form do you automatically know everything about all things that company does!!!!!
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No the p**r bl**dy merchant is the victim, the bank simply does a charge back and knocks the fraudulent amount off the shop keeper's account.

No wonder the banks have no incentive to sort things out. The police don't want the work because they joined up for a bit of action man stuff.
    The government don't want to admit that fraud is going to bring this country to its knees (banana republic anyone?) because we all know that the government is tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime.
    Oh yes as we have seen on here the snivelling little fraudster mule just gets patted on the head by a kindly judge - it is a victim less white collar crime isn't it.

This is what is called joined up government !

I take it your a merchant?

Anyhow, Merchants can protect themselves by becoming 3D secure so banks and credit card companies can't charge the money back.

Merchants blame the banks but some merchant are pretty shoddy in identifying them selves their website maybe being targeted by fraudsters because of their lax security.
  • negg
    negg Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    No the p**r bl**dy merchant is the victim, the bank simply does a charge back and knocks the fraudulent amount off the shop keeper's account.

Not only that, the banks then fine the merchant (usually somewhere between £5 and £15) for each one. So they could well be profiting from fraud.
  • INT1
    Options
    negg wrote: »
    Not only that, the banks then fine the merchant (usually somewhere between £5 and £15) for each one. So they could well be profiting from fraud.

Think you will find it is Visa and Mastercard issuing fines not the banks!
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 November 2009 at 11:04AM
    Options

No wonder the banks have no incentive to sort things out. The police don't want the work because they joined up for a bit of action man stuff.
    The government don't want to admit that fraud is going to bring this country to its knees (banana republic anyone?) because we all know that the government is tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime.
    Oh yes as we have seen on here the snivelling little fraudster mule just gets patted on the head by a kindly judge - it is a victim less white collar crime isn't it.

This is what is called joined up government !

aldo wrote: »
    I take it your a merchant?

Anyhow, Merchants can protect themselves by becoming 3D secure so banks and credit card companies can't charge the money back.

Merchants blame the banks but some merchant are pretty shoddy in identifying them selves their website maybe being targeted by fraudsters because of their lax security.
    negg wrote: »
    aldo wrote: »
    Think you will find it is Visa and Mastercard issuing fines not the banks!

Big banks behind Visa
    Company / Ownership percentage
    J.P.Morgan Chase / 23.3
    Bank of America / 11.5
    National City / 8.0
    Citigroup / 5.5
    U.S. Bancorp / 5.1
    Wells Fargo / 5.0
    Data: Visa Inc.

I guess we should re-write that as "It is the big USA banks behind VISA that benefit from fraud".

I'm sure someone will be able to tell us who owns Mastercard and what being "3D secure" involves and costs for the average merchant.

John

PS I am not a "merchant", just someone who had to try and help sort out his wife's identity fraud, something from which you can never fully recover. Your record is tainted as you can never prove you were not part of the (non) crime and your cards will be more prone to bouncing attempts to use them.

My experience is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=332339
  • Dopple
    Dopple Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Egg phoned me today to say that about £400 had been charged to my card.
    The only time I've used the card recently was to top-up on O2 (using the phone, not online). Could anyone get my details that way?
  • INT1
    Options
    Your details are at risk ever since the card was first used. If you think about it they have your card number and expirary date, so they know how long the card number is likely to be valid.
    Unlikely they have got your card details off a Telephone top up. There have been lots of data compromises recently from on-line merchants so most likely be a transaction you have done on-line.
  • savermonkey
    Options
    I had some on my debit card few years ago (when I was a student without a credit card).

If i recall they bought a phone, attempted to buy a dell computer and something from amazon.

Interestingly it was amazon which alerted me to the situation (they sent email saying your card has been registered again, if you have used your card with them before).

I was quite paranoid for a short while wondering if it was online based. However considering the location of most of the transactions UK shop buying smaller items then I think my card details must have been copied while out. No idea where!

If it had been online i think it would have been more organised, and maybe other seas.
  • savermonkey
    Options
    always make me wonder, almost everyone I know has had some form of fraud at some point in their life. How can any the relatively small amounts in their currently account out-way some of the payouts by the banks for such fraud.

I guess I'm not seeing the bigger picture here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure