🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The banks increasingly appear to doubt the word of the customer
    With the increasing number of documented cases of fraud, I fail to see how this can be true - unless an increasing number of customers are fraudulently claiming fraud.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Hi James,

How does this work technically ?

Can the trader intercept the communication between card holder and the bank.

Can a virus key log the card holder's response.

Will the next step be "We authorised them to accept credit cards but if you choose to deal with a trader who does not use (and pay for?) our get out system, it must be your fault that your details have "escaped" and are being used all over the world - you are on your own now" ?????

Harry.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=441483
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Earlier in this thread a quote from APACS says that "only" 0.141% of transactions are fraudulent - that must still be a huge number ! 1,410 frauds per million transactions.

I think the reason why the finance companies are:- taking so long to sort out, denying it's their responsibility, blaming the card holder - is that they are being swamped with cases of fraud. They can't cope and to some extent, they hope that some people will just give up and go away.

AND some of them are just C**p !

My daughter had a £800 transaction on her M & S card (strangely, to what appeared to be a firm of bailiffs/debt collectors !). She told M & S, who told her to destroy her card and they would issue a new one. She got the new card, then another statement with another fraudulent transaction on it (at a bookies).
    She phones M & S again, who tell her that the second transaction was on her new card ! She destroys that as well. (She later found that it wasn't on the new card)

This has been going on for 3 months now - she hasn't paid the fraudulent charges, but M &S are duly adding interest every month and she has been told three times that they have posted "claim forms" to her - none of which have actually arrived.

They truly are useless !

PS: guess who daughter works for ?
  • Suzi.Q_3
    Suzi.Q_3 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had a call from M&S telling me that my card has been used fraudulently. They recognised the transaction as suspiscious and declined it, but I've had to cut my card up. I really want to know how somebody got my card details! I'm really careful with my card, but obviously not careful enough.
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    HLK - worrying update - although credit checks have returned Ok so far my husabnd is having trouble with AMEX.. 8 days in they keep saying someone will call him back but they never do. He would like to raise some sort of complaint .. we nornally spend anything up to 20k a year with Amex and always pay our bill in full by DD .. words fail me really. Is the FSA he need to talk to .. nothing he says seems to make any difference.
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • paulinespens
    paulinespens Posts: 253 Forumite
    Options
    Suzi.Q wrote: »
    I've just had a call from M&S telling me that my card has been used fraudulently. They recognised the transaction as suspiscious and declined it, but I've had to cut my card up. I really want to know how somebody got my card details! I'm really careful with my card, but obviously not careful enough.

Hi Suzi

There is loads of ways someone could of got hold of your card number.

It just takes one distrustful member of staff where you have used the card a few seconds just to get access to your card number.

Another way is all credit card numbers are made in a formula and people who know that can guess the numbers of someones card and guess the dates.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Used your plastic in Staines? Check your statements!

Following a sharp rise in credit card fraud North Surrey Police have issued a warning to people who use petrol station cashpoints in Staines.

Story click here:

Are cards are being cloned and PINs harvested in Staines? As you no longer report card fraud to the police in England & Wales I wonder what prompted the Police to issue this warning?

It should be sinking in by now that you need a valid PIN to use a card, stolen or cloned at an ATM.

Get yourself Chip & Signature.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Used your plastic at Dunchurch petrol station in Coventry Road, Dunchurch, near Rugby, then check you statements.

Click for story: Garage customers fleeced in card scam

Quite amazing this story has surfaced, as since 1 April 2007 card fraud in England and Wales is reported to card issuers and not the police.

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    manhattan wrote: »
    after a bit of googling, i found a few dodgy forums that share CC info and other illegal activities.
    i am surprised that these forums are not shut down?
    i read through a few threads there to see what these criminals are getting up to, and im trying to work out how to protect my CC card details if at all possible?

This is a known problem in the fraud prevention community. These sites are up for a few days before being shut down. The problem is they just set up new ones.

Retailers are all stepping up on their fraud prevention techniques, but the fraudsters are generally one step ahead. They can change there approach in an instant, but may take retailers some time to pick up on whats going on and then to implement any changes.

It takes on average 6 months for a retailer to fully understand the amount of fraud they have incurred. This is measured by the number/value of 'chargebacks' (or disputes) they've received from their merchant banks. Pre Chip and Pin the disputes were absorbed by the issuer, but now its the responsibility of the retailer (hence the huge focus on fraud prevention). I'd recommend you to sign up to schemes such as 'Verified by Visa' for increased online protection.

Something you may find intersting in that some fraudsters are turning to shop lifting rather than fraud.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Forums? Most of them exchange details on IRC, I've heard this is impossible to police or shut down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport