credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One way to keep the figures honest is to remember that the bank officers go to jail if they present misleading information on losses to investors.

If you don't think they know and care about the penalties, I was visiting the home of a bank vice president when he happened to be working on a takeover deal, with secret meetings in hotel rooms going on. He cautioned me to say nothing because it would be insider trading and I'd end up in prison.
    harryhound wrote: »
    What is the figure for the rise in card not present fraud

Same article: "Online bank fraud losses rose by 55 per cent from £14.5m in the first six months of 2005 to £22.5m in the same period this year. These losses primarily involved phishing scams, which typically involve consumers receiving bogus emails purporting to come from their bank that attempt to dupe consumers into handing over sensitive account information to fraudulent web sites run by fraudsters."
    harryhound wrote: »
    money stolen from ATM's using pin numbers stolen in shops. I've heard of a figure of half a billion for card fraud.

"Total fraudulent losses fell from £219.5m to £209.3m over the first six month of 2006, a decline APACS attributes to the introduction of chip and PIN."

A quarter of a billion the year before chip and pin was introduced would have been about right.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cloned Cards Still Being Used In UK Cash Points.

A NEW twist in York's cash card skimming scam emerged today when a woman told how fraudsters had siphoned £350 out of her account.
    Isabel Bamford said she had been told the money had been withdrawn from a cash point in Rugby, after her card details had apparently been skimmed at a cashpoint in York, to create a cloned card.

Story here.
  • trubster
    trubster Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah james, lets get a huge campaign for chip and sig cards! I have had mine for 3 months since you told me how to get mine and I feel much safer using it because I know if there is fraud on the account, I am covered.
    We’ve had to remove your signature because your opinion differs from ours. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why you can not have your own opinion on here and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    Options
    Have criminals found a way to break the chip technology?

No way, says Sandra Quinn, of APACS. And since October last year, all UK cash machines have been operated using chip-recognition software, that should flag up immediately and reject any fake card that doesn't have the required chip to go with its pin number.

The problem is the degree of flexibility built into the system, Sandra admits.
    "Inevitably, with 19 cash machine transactions per second, some don't go through as they should," she says.

So sometimes a cash machine will fail to recognise the chip on a perfectly valid card being used legitimately by its owner.

To prevent an epidemic of cards being rejected, the system has written into it an automatic override.

If the transaction fits into the normal pattern of use of a customer, it will be allowed to go ahead - even if the cash machine doesn't recognise the pin.

YORK Update story here.
  • trubster
    Options
    anong wrote: »
    If you want to know about credit card, you can search it,,i think it can help you.
    http://moneysaving.r8.org/loan-main.html
    http://moneysaving.r8.org/credit_card-main.html
    473875171_b1e5d211cc_m.jpg

Is it just me or is this a load of
    :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: ???
    We’ve had to remove your signature because your opinion differs from ours. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why you can not have your own opinion on here and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    anong is a spammer, he has been reported
  • poorbabe
    poorbabe Posts: 896 Forumite
    Options
    This morning whilst checking my account balances on Egg and my bank I noticed an £8 charge to CC London. On calling the number alongside it turns out I'd paid the congestion charge on Monday 30th. I don't own a car and haven't driven for years!

I rang Egg and they've now put a block on the card and my account while they pass the matter on for investigation. Turns out there were three other transactions that were declined, ranging from £14.99 up to £170+. They would have sent me another card but I've declined and will leave it for a month to see what happens with the investigation. I was almost at my limit and had arranged a balance transfer, (0%) but transfer fee, from another card to clear the Egg, which I would have then put in the freezer.

The upside to this is that I've now cut up the card, which is what I was thinking of doing anyway and will now stick to my Switch card. Just as well I'd drawn up a monthly budget and seeing the figures in black and white has concentrated the mind on what I have left after regular outgoings and how to manage til next payday.

Will pay even more attention to my bank account now!
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    poorbabe wrote: »
    This morning whilst checking my account balances on Egg and my bank I noticed an £8 charge to CC London. On calling the number alongside it turns out I'd paid the congestion charge on Monday 30th. I don't own a car and haven't driven for years!

I rang Egg and they've now put a block on the card and my account while they pass the matter on for investigation. Turns out there were three other transactions that were declined, ranging from £14.99 up to £170+. They would have sent me another card but I've declined and will leave it for a month to see what happens with the investigation. I was almost at my limit and had arranged a balance transfer, (0%) but transfer fee, from another card to clear the Egg, which I would have then put in the freezer.

The upside to this is that I've now cut up the card, which is what I was thinking of doing anyway and will now stick to my Switch card. Just as well I'd drawn up a monthly budget and seeing the figures in black and white has concentrated the mind on what I have left after regular outgoings and how to manage til next payday.

Will pay even more attention to my bank account now!

Were these transactions all "card not present" ?

Give Citi bank, the new owners of Egg all the help you can but don't expect to be involved.

My saga is here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=332339
  • trubster
    Options
    I had an £8 CC London Charge too, this was through the Shop NEO scam on the Grabit Board. I dont believe how stupid these ppl are because you need to give your Reg Number when you pay the £8 so you can and will be traced, although I doubt it as far as South Yorkshire Police are concerned - Too much paperwork
  • DefaultName
    Options
    Everyone should be wary of online shopping sprees. Culprits usually come from websites.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback