credit card fraud? have you been done recently?

Options

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry missed this one:

A service area at Weedon on the A5 in Northamptonshire was raided on Thursday after several local people complained of credit card irregularities

Card Fraud Probe Targets Garages.

Tip the above is from the BBC you can watch and listen to the video via the above link.

Methinks the banks aren't coming clean about how peoples PINs are being collected.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    JennyW wrote: »
    I've just spent some time reading this thread and hadn't realised that you don't always get your money refunded for fraudulant transactions? :confused:

I'm now worried that I wont get my £200 back taken from my visa debit card (illegal transactions in Canada) :(

Anyone know where I would stand? I was on holiday in Canada back in February but didn't use any of my cards. Cards were with me all the time so there is no way they were taken or could it just be a coincidence the they were used in Canada?

Canada seems to be a favorite location for using chip and pin cards that have been cloned here in the UK, but can be used as magnetic strip and pin cards over there. (Lovely country, lovely people BUT why did Vancouver stock exchange have a "boiler room" fraud reputation, and now its making its mark as a credit card fraud centre - we will all end up living in Nigeria at this rate).

Meanwhile Barclays starts sending out home pin readers BUT they don't defeat "man in the middle" fraud, where an internet link is intercepted and the fraudsters allow the real user to pass their transactions through the link, but then the real user logs off and the man in the middle carries on using their session.

More news here:

http://www.computing.co.uk/vnunet/news/2188033/barclays-chip-pin-move-stop

Harry.

Keep up the good work James.
  • James
    Options
    You & Yours well worth listening to.

Click here.
  • James
    Options
    JennyW wrote: »
    thanks James, that's interesting. Leatherhead is not too far from me.

re my replacement card - no they didn't advise changing my pin. I assumed that I wouldn't need to as my replacement card has a different card number :confused:

Here's what the Banking Code says: [Gist]

What to do if someone else knows your PIN.

The Banking Code article 12.7.

It is essential that you tell us as soon as you can if you suspect or discover that someone else knows your PIN.

Therefore if card issuers know that PIN pads and ATMs have been doctored, don't they have a duty of care to inform all cardholders who've used their cards at these places that they suspect their PIN may have been compromised?

If they did then this would allow the cardholder to do several things.

Change their PIN immediatly, thus preventing the cloned card being used at a cash point.

If someone uses the same PIN for all cards - likewise change the PIN.

Give credit cardholders the option of applying for Chip & Signature, thus protecting themselves from PIN libaility issues and preventing crooks cloning their cards with the sole purpose of hitting Cash Machines.

Advise victims of PIN based fraud that they can opt for Chip & Signature.

I wonder how a card issuer would react to a victim of fraud whose genuine card was used with their PIN and that person had previously been one of the thousands of garage fraud victims and they handn't changed their PIN?
  • James
    Options
    Thousands of motorists who use a bank card to buy petrol are thought to have lost millions of pounds in a scam allegedly linked to Tamil rebels.

For BBC News story (click here).

Todays Garage, tomorrows supermarket..

Bin your PIN and don't fund terrorism.

Bin your PIN because the industry can't keept it secret.

Bin your PIN - Why be held responsible for something when there's an alternative - Chip & Signature.

Shouldn't card issuers inform you if they think your PIN may have been compromised?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    James, please start a get rid of credit card pins campaign topic instead of doing it in one about all forms of credit card fraud, including the types which pins have been successful in reducing.
  • harryhound
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    James, please start a get rid of credit card pins campaign topic instead of doing it in one about all forms of credit card fraud, including the types which pins have been successful in reducing.

The pin number protects the bank not the ordinary retail customer, or for that matter the trader.

Chip & pin may have reduced fraud over all, but now it is nolonger a crime within the crime figures, how do you know?

Harry
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    harryhound, the reported drop in card present fraud losses, which is what chip and pin was supposed to address: "losses in shops decreased 43 per cent to £42.1m, following on from a 35 per cent fall the year before, a trend credited to the introduction of Chip and PIN as a alternative to signatures as a means to authorise card payments".
  • James
    Options
    The cards produced in the Oslo case had information skimmed from petrol stations in England and Canada.

Story click here:

Good result, but it needn't have happened!

Tonight with Trevor McDonald, Friday 4th May at 8 pm, for those interested in this topic.
  • harryhound
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    harryhound, the reported drop in card present fraud losses, which is what chip and pin was supposed to address: "losses in shops decreased 43 per cent to £42.1m, following on from a 35 per cent fall the year before, a trend credited to the introduction of Chip and PIN as a alternative to signatures as a means to authorise card payments".

To quote Christine Keeler's friend Mandy Rice Davies, in the "sleeping with the enemy" affair.

As the banks are now judge, jury and chief executioner for card fraud, how can we keep these figure honest. Banking, ever since the goldsmiths invented it, has been based on a con-trick and maintaining trust. Banks have a very vested interest in pretending all is well, even when lending to "trailer trash",
    or to be polite to caravan owners like me "sub prime" loans to the "can't pay won't pay" brigade.

What is the figure for the rise in card not present fraud and money stolen from ATM's using pin numbers stolen in shops. I've heard of a figure of half a billion for card fraud. Is this level of dishonesty good for the emerging world market. Is it a good message to give the the millions struggling to keep body and soul together on less than a dollar a day?

Harry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport