PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Travelling - food to keep me going?

Options
Hiya

This might sound a bit pathetic that I can't come up with a solution myself, but I'm looking for some food inspiration for driving.

I now drive up and down the motorway every week in a 500 mile round trip, which is rather exhausting! I keep ending up spending money in McDonalds and buying lucozade/crisps/chocolate to eat to keep me going.

I know I could make things like sandwiches, but I don't really like them :(

I'd be interested to know what other people do when they are on the move? I'd like to be eating more healthily, but with winter upon us fancy something hot to keep me going :)

Hoping to get some good OS inspiration!

Thanks in advance

MP x
Previous debt: £14K :embarasse Debt free: Sept '03 :DMFW#42 Mortgage OP savings £4271.18/£12000 2019 :)Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 :A SPC 12: 99 £38.05/£500 Make money Jan: £412.34/£310 :T Feb: £88.79/£280 May: £215.52/£310 June: £18.98/£300

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rosy
    rosy Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    How about one of those wide mouth thermos flasks which you could put stew, soup etc into? You could use last night's leftovers or deliberately make extra to heat in microwave in the morning before you go. Or keep flask sized portions of your favourite meals in the freezer so you can ring the changes and not always be eating the same thing for lunch that you had the night before.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Mushypeas,

Some of these older threads might give you some ideas too:

Food whilst traveling

Food on the go...............HELP!!!!!

Problem with taking Pack-up

Pink
  • Spirited_2
    Options
    Soup in a flask, Homemade pies/pasties/etc obviously pastry isn't too healthy but if you be careful with the amount of butter/fat you put in it and then make the fillings from healthy leftovers...

Certainly drinks should be easy enough to tackle, just get your favourite hot drink (mmmm hot chocolate...) in a flask or two.

Snacks: homemade flapjacks (as healthy or unhealthy as you like) and other similar treats that you can bake a tray of, shove in a tin or the freezer and then pick a small selection for your trip.

You say that you don't like sandwiches, but what about filled rolls, wraps or baguettes etc. , if you could put up with them would probably still be cheaper than McDs
    I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair
    I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.
    Affirmation. Savage Garden.
  • goonlord
    Options
    I have a similar problem - regular 600 mile journey and to complicate things, I'm not allowed yeast or sugar so bread, chocolate etc. is out!

I tend to have a bottle of water with me (a must - especially in the summer!) and then either take leftovers in a lunch box to eat at a service station (it's amazing that some things actually taste OK cold if you're not that fussy) or I make things like peanut butter on oatcakes and sandwich them together. I keep meaning to try a flask of something hot but haven't managed it yet.

The way I look at it is: I just need enough energy to keep me going and I can eat nice food when I arrive!

Service station food is very limited if you're trying to eat healthily and also very expensive.
  • MushyPeas
    MushyPeas Posts: 3,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for your advice goonlord, spirited, pink-winged, rosy and of course squeaky!

I just needed a kick up the :silenced: , so thank you! I'm going to have a look at purchasing a flask so I can take some soup, great idea. Homemade flapjacks....mmm... now there is an idea :) I have to confess I'm not a very good cook, but I'm hoping they don't require much baking? I'll have a search through the threads.

Off to read the other threads, thanks for the advice guys!

MPxx
    Previous debt: £14K :embarasse Debt free: Sept '03 :DMFW#42 Mortgage OP savings £4271.18/£12000 2019 :)Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 :A SPC 12: 99 £38.05/£500 Make money Jan: £412.34/£310 :T Feb: £88.79/£280 May: £215.52/£310 June: £18.98/£300
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For flapjacks, search on here for microwave flapjacks. The only thing that is difficult with them is waiting till they cool down before eating (otherwise they just crumble into a mess). ;)

Edit: here it is: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=2850161&postcount=4

I stick choc chips in the top of them when they come out of the microwave and are still warm.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    newlywed wrote:

AAARRRGGGHHHHH I HATE YOU!

Almost as much as I hate the person who posted the instructions for microwave dumplings! I mean sheesh! Dumplings covered with jam in three minutes flat! Harumph!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • newlywed
    Options
    Sorry! They don't half keep the kids quiet when there's no biscuits though!! :D
  • newlywed
    Options
    Sorry! Wasn't my recipe!!

They don't half keep the kids quiet when there's no biscuits though!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure