PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Problem with taking Pack-up

Options
Following on from my earlier post. I have a problem where husband finds himself having to buy his dinner (normally sandwiches out). We keep a seperate account for this but it does eat into our budget. If i outline a typical scenario maybe someone can come up with some suggestions.

Last week husband set off from our house (in S.Yorks) to go for a meeting in Falmouth the following day.I packed him up with sandwiches and drink for the trip to Cornwall. That evening he got an evening meal at hotel and breakfast followind day (expenses), had his meeting then drove back home. On the way back he bought a pre-packed sandwich for lunch. Traffic was very busy so he didn't come off motorway to find anywhere cheaper.

I don't fancy the thought of packing 2 days worth of sandwiches (and hubby would eat lot anyway lol) that has to be kept overnight.

This is quite a common occurrance for us so any suggestions i would be greatful of.

Another thing that can happen like today, is if he has a business appt with a customer and is not sure of what they do for lunch, sometimes they buy his lunch for him, which is great but it means he throws his sandwiches away (he's after the business so doesn't feel he can refuse hospitality) but sometimes he doesn't take pack up in case that happens (like today) but then
that isn't what they do and he ends up buying out.

So what to do - make the pack-up and risk it being slung or not make it and risk him having to buy out?

He normally only has a couple of days notice to where he's going and when.

Any ideas anyone.

Comments

• Mrs_Thrift
    Options
    I'd say give him the packed lunch every time, and risk that getting slung, as you waste less money on that than on having to buy lunch out. I know it seems awful to make up sandwiches that have a large chance of being thrown away, but it's only a few pence worth, compared to the few pounds he'd spend on buying lunch out.

If he was in a city with beggars, your hubby might even be able to give his sandwiches away to someone who appreciates it. My hubby did this in London with something, but I can't remember what. (Also, when we won loads of pennies on the penny pushers in Blackpool just before closing time, he gave them to a guy who was in a doorway in his sleeping bag, whereas I wouldn't even have thought of that and would've probably lugged them around - I'm not as naturally generous as him!)
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What aboout packing lunches up in those mini-cool bags with an ice pack to keep them fresh for longer? If Hubby is in a hotel overnight could he put spares in the mini-bar fridge? (maybe 2 mini-cool bags so that he knows one lot is for the next day!) Or make sandwiches up in advance & freeze them, they will slowly defrost & stay fresh for longer & chill other food at the same time? As alternatives to sandwiches what about dried packet soups & packs of cous-cous? Could hubby make these up in a thermos before he leaves the hotel in the mornings?

Don't know if any of this helps?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had the same prob with Mrs MATH. Somestimes they were eaten but often lunch presentations/meetings would come up or folk would take her out for lunch and they got bined. We gave up in the end :9(
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with Ms-thrift

It is still cheaper to make up sandwiches and you never know if a meeting is changed to somewhere akward to buy food then the sandwiches are a lifesaver.
    Is it worth having apples,crisps etc in car with a flask of tea or coffee every day just in case.
    I know what you mean about men and sandwiches - my husband used to keep complaining about ones I made saying bread was still frozen! I would make it at 6.30 am on way to work expecting that by 12 noon they would be fine. Eventually the penny dropped and I asked casually When did you eat them -Oh about 8.30 as I was hungry! Short sharp discussion then ensued.
    That was years ago but there are times I think they do it on purpose! LOL
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does he like other things that don't go off as quickly and can be lugged around easily for a couple of days. Mt TM has cut bread out of his diet and is now experimenting with things like rice cakes and small tins of fish. He can keep quite a few at work and just eat them when he wants. You could try packs of crispbread, rice cakes, oatcakes and individual tins of foods like various fish, sandwich toppers etc. (Can't be more specific as I don't buy those) They may be a little more expensive, but then if they're not used, they will keep and you don't have to throw stuff away. Also, lots of fruit. Good idea about the flask - can fill it from the hotel kettle and mix soups etc whilst out.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Instead of him taking sandwiches away with him for 2 days, can you send him with the stuff to make up the sandwiches? Ie 2 slices bread (buttered if necessary) plus some ham, chicken, cheese, tuna, egg mayo etc. If they're kept in a cool bag & wrapped separately then they should be a bit nicer to eat. The bread won't go soggy or anything. You could try other things, like sausage rolls, pasties etc. Add a couple of pieces of fruit, a bag of crisps & a kit kat & that should be enough to stop him spending at service stations. Freeze cartons of juice / bottles of water & they can act as ice packs in the cool bag. Asda had a load of mini cool bags - perfect size for lunches for about £1.50. worth a look.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    Some great ideas here. I am going to try a couple of them out. A favourite lunch of mine is humous with 'bit's' like carrot etc. however I found that by the time I came to eat them the veg was a bit dry and curled and unappetising. I find that by packing them in a little cold water, or with some ice cudes, they stay cool and fresh and can last two days at work, so in some cases I can do two days worth at a time.

If you dont have ice packs frozen cartons of juice work just as well.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    How about homemade soup in a flask? If it isn't eaten then you can just pour it into a pot and re-heat it for the next day. It won't keep warm for 2 days, but it would solve the problem of not knowing if he is going to be treated to lunch or not.

Hmm, men and pack-up. Mine always used to moan I'd either made too many or not enough depending on how heavy the work was (he's a builder) I didn't know if he was going to want lots or not many.

Now he has a loaf, butter, paste and a knife which live in the van so he makes his own at lunch (or at 8:30am!) Not sure how we are going to keep the butter hard through summer, if I give him a cool box he'll just leave it in the van. I guess it spreads easier when it has melted :D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    He normally only has a couple of days notice to where he's going and when.

Any ideas anyone.
    on a slight aside when I was working away from home alot - I could claim a per deium fixed amount depending on how many meals I was away from home for and where in the world I was.

an over night trip in the uk usually covered evening meal and breakfast and the next days lunch as they had worked out I obviously wouldnt be at home to make my own lunch. I think I got about £20 per night PLUS my breakfast and evening meal being paid for.

is there nothing that Mr Spendless can claim for (you dont have to spend it and you dont have to present receipts)
    Blah
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If he stops at a hotel overnight and doesn't have a meal there (for example if they don't do them or he arrives too late) he can claim for a meal on expenses. I don't know if it's a maximum or just as long as it's reasonable claim but i didn't know he could possibly claim for his lunch the following day - that's something to be looked into -thanks.

In the meantime i like the idea of giving him stuff so he can make sandwiches himself - that (hopefully!) should stop him eating 2 lots in one day! and also should eliminate waste.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport