PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food whilst traveling

Options
A week on Saturday we are picking up our caravan. We will be collecting it on the Saturday and taking it the 200+ miles to the secure compound where it will be stored by the sea. Its going to take us hours to get there no doubt. We will be stopping at the services but refuse point blank to pay their high prices for something to eat. I dont mind sandwiches but my MrJudi dislikes bread and i presume its going to take us a few hours to get there plus theres only so much bread i can eat. I need some ideas as what else i can pack. In the past i would have thrown a few bags of crisps in and a couple of sausage rolls but has anyone else any alternative ideas that i can adopt? Nothing too fatty please cause i am on a diet, MrJudi gets indigestion and Minime is prone to throwing up (sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me :mad: ).

Am i asking the world?

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pasta or rice salads with tuna, quiche, chicken drumsticks (wet wipes and cool boxes), fruit. Got a food flask? Heat hot dogs before you set off and take finger rolls and ketchup with you. Plenty to drink if it's a nice day,
  • hattie_pea
    hattie_pea Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    No not at all! how about wraps? Buy a whole chicken and use some of it to make a casserole for when you get there so that you don't spend extra the other end. roast the legs and make into tasty wraps for the journey. Maybe try the chicken with cucmber and spring onion for a chinese theme or with hot spices, salad and sour cream ala mexican?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hattie_pea wrote:
    No not at all! how about wraps?
    What are wraps and how do i go about making them? :o:o:o
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there gas in the caravan, as when you stop you could cook something :j
  • System
    Options
    Is there gas in the caravan, as when you stop you could cook something :j
    There is, but i was hoping to get out of using it.;)
  • pondie1
    pondie1 Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    when travelling we actually got achicken n bacon salad bowl (£1.58 asda)and a pack of 6 mini pasties, plus crisps, even eating out was much cheaper than services were charging
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not even beans on toast? :D

Or how about heating up something that you could do in the slow cooker over night?

If it was me mind you, I would go to Tesco/M&S before leaving and buy some salad dishes!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pondie1 wrote:
    when travelling we actually got achicken n bacon salad bowl (£1.58 asda)and a pack of 6 mini pasties, plus crisps, even eating out was much cheaper than services were charging

I'm with you :rotfl:
  • System
    Options
    pondie1 wrote:
    Yep i am with you too.

To be honest Edin'lass, we aint got a clue about how to use the cooker, water heater and heating/air con. We know they run on both gas and electricity but we wont really be able to find out how it works till we get it on site. We are taking it straight off the forecourt you see. I have bought a frying pan and a set of cooking implements but i am hoping the masculine tendencies take over from MrJudi when he cops his eyes on the barbecue....... so you can imagine it will be barbecued bacon and sausages for breakfast. Barbecued chicken and steak for tea.:D I must say, i hate barbecued food - well i do the way MrJudi cooks it anyway.:o
  • Edinburghlass_2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In that case, best piece of advise I can give you is take/buy a George Foreman grill (tell Mr Judi its the latest bbq fashion) and use that for bacon and sausage in the morning and the chicken and steak at night :)

Just incase you get the odd rainy day of course :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport