Asda Mobile PAYG massive price increase

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tariff to suit my needs no a tariff to suit someone else or the marketing guys .Seems like a lot just do spend an amount per year that they would not consider spending in the same way on any other product bar a mobile phone .

jje
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    neil40 wrote: »
    Giffgaff have no call centres etc so can keep rates low & have vowed to continue doing so..Here's hoping!

Given the no of phone problmes and complaints here (and yes call centres as a part of that) I'm not sure how not having call centres is an overall advantage. May save money but in the event of a problem I want to beable to talk to someone now, not have to wait on email exchanges.
  • WelshBluebird
    WelshBluebird Posts: 388 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2011 at 10:20AM
    Options
    adam98675 wrote: »
    If you have used way to much ie 20 gb plus, they send an email telling you to slow down, but people aren't cut off unless they tether which isn't allowed on giffgaff, and if you are using upwards of 20gb per month then you are probably going to be tethering

But surely if its advertised as unlimited then they shouldn't be doing that at all?

There are some people on their forums who have been blocked for using 20GB so I don't know what to think.

And tbh, while it is a lot, I'd say 20GB is easily possible without tethering. Live TV (tvcatchup and sky mobile TV), spotify, youtube, app stores, stuff like Netflix (not available in the UK, but the principle applies), streaming video (you can set up your home PC as a server and stream video from it wherever you have a 3G signal). All without tethering. Just wait until the BBC finally allow iPlayer downloads onto your phone too.

Quick example. An hour streaming on sky mobile TV will use 250MB. An hour streaming on TVcatchup will use around 160MB. Streaming spotify can use 60 - 100MB an hour. It can all quickly add up.

ps - I realise the "unlimited or not unlimited" debate is kind of pointless to go into, so I won't :).
    spaceboy wrote: »
    These people probably didnt read the terms and conditions. I dont think most people use 20GB a month on their mobile. I certainly wont be. Most people dont even use that at home on their PC.

Still easy enough to do though.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But surely if its advertised as unlimited then they shouldn't be doing that at all?

Then there are the operators who use 'unlimited' and '500mb limit' in the same sentence. Nobody complains to Ofcom or Otelo.
  • S_t_e_v_e
    S_t_e_v_e Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those that can't find details of this rise. It's at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.asdamobile.com/compare_tariffs.html
    Steve
  • paul2468
    paul2468 Posts: 845 Forumite
    Options
    I was with asda, just moved to icardmobile, they run on the vodaphone network, free calls imobile to imobile landline calls all 1p and 4 p to mobiles, it is a no frills service but is ideal for what i want....been onto asda today for my pac code so i can transfer my number over.
    Been with them 10 day and had no problems.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    5p to mobiles actually.
    Not that it makes any difference.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    icardmobile's rates are valid until 30th April 2011. Any idea what happens then? A loss-leader seems pretty pointless on a no-commitment easy-in easy-out tariff and will just lead to the company going the same way as easymobile. Libera mobile offered similar special offer rates in the past and seem to have settled at 5p/min landlines and 10p/min mobiles and 10p texts. I'm guessing icardmobile may do something similar.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    paul2468 wrote: »
    free calls imobile to imobile landline calls

Free calls are limited to ten minutes per call. ;)
  • honeysaving101
    Options
    I use my mobile for texting, occasional calls and no data so with Asda putting the texting up from 4 to 6p it makes sense to switch to icardmobile - same network and hopefully the same hassle free service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure