Asda Mobile PAYG massive price increase

Options

Comments

• hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mikemoate wrote: »
    Went on the Asda site the other day to try to find the price of a call to a mobile in Australia, of course couldn't find it, you have to call their customer services at a cost of 25p to find tariff details for anything other than basic calls - which is a rip off in itself. I digress, let me get to the point.

Whilst on the site I noticed a reference to an increase in call rates from 3rd May which in percentage terms are massive. I went back a few moments later to check again the reference had gone. So I e-mailed them as follows,

"Is it true that Asda Mobile are introducing massive increases on call costs, texts and data, in some cases by more than 100%, from 3rd May?"

I received a response from them today as follows,
    "Thanks for your email about our charges.

At the moment, the only information that we have is that the standard call charge will be changing from 8p per minute to 10p per minute, and the standard text charge will be moving from 4p to 6p. There will be plenty of notice given with regards to any change in standard charges on our web site."

So that's a 25% increase on calls, 50% increase on texts, and though they don't mention data I recall reading at the time that this going up from 20p/MB to 50p/MB a massive 150% increase!

Anybody recommend an alternative and reliable alternative PAYG provider? No contracts thanks.

Virgin Mobile have an 8p tariff if you're a VM customer.
  • rwalton159
    rwalton159 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    LOL

Squabbling about tariffs - Just use giffgaff and stick £10 on a mth
  • catfish50
    catfish50 Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    tony077844 wrote: »
    Don't be fooled by giffgaff. if your phone is locked you need to cough up to get your mobile unlocked.

What's that got to do with giffgaff? No mobiles are locked to giffgaff.
  • JPR
    JPR Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Except for the CS email, has ASDA announced publicly that their rates are going up? Would they only have to do this on tomorrow if they plan a rise on May 3rd?
  • tony077844
    tony077844 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    catfish i did not state that you are reading it wrong. giffgaff does not supply sinner however as they use o2 the phone has to be a former o2 handset or unlocked. as the user is a non o2 customer namely vodafone asda as the question to this post states the phone will highly be likely to be locked which they will have to cough up to pay to release the bar. a cheaper alternative to giffgaff is icardmobile which is on the voda network like asda and you can't argue that there texts and calls are cheaper than gg. if you looking at data only vectone mobile offers a 1gb of data for five pounds. but like i mentioned depends on how you use your phone high data and high calls and texts gg is economically better off. but as asda don't offer data bundles and most of there customers are callers and texters then icardmobile wins hands down and you don't have to unlock your phone.
  • tony077844
    Options
    catfish i did not state that you are reading it wrong. giffgaff does not supply phones however as they use o2 the phone has to be a former o2 handset or unlocked. as the user is a non o2 customer namely vodafone asda as the question to this post states the phone will highly be likely to be locked which they will have to cough up to pay to release the bar. a cheaper alternative to giffgaff is icardmobile which is on the voda network like asda and you can't argue that there texts and calls are cheaper than gg. if you looking at data only vectone mobile offers a 1gb of data for five pounds. but like i mentioned depends on how you use your phone high data and high calls and texts gg is economically better off. but as asda don't offer data bundles and most of there customers are callers and texters then icardmobile wins hands down and you don't have to unlock your phone.
    D
  • tony077844
    Options
    Icard and vectone does five pound top ups gg like o2 min is ten. icard is the cheapest standard rate for calls and texts. vectone is ideal for web for FIVE pounds. just looked at vectone now they have an offer on if you click transfer your number option they are giving away two months of free calls text and data for just transferring your number to them and you don't need to top up also.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tony077844 wrote: »
    catfish i did not state that you are reading it wrong. giffgaff does not supply phones however as they use o2 the phone has to be a former o2 handset or unlocked. as the user is a non o2 customer namely vodafone asda as the question to this post states the phone will highly be likely to be locked which they will have to cough up to pay to release the bar. a cheaper alternative to giffgaff is icardmobile which is on the voda network like asda and you can't argue that there texts and calls are cheaper than gg. if you looking at data only vectone mobile offers a 1gb of data for five pounds. but like i mentioned depends on how you use your phone high data and high calls and texts gg is economically better off. but as asda don't offer data bundles and most of there customers are callers and texters then icardmobile wins hands down and you don't have to unlock your phone.
    D

The FAQS say you have to have an unlocked phone for icardmobile
    Please clarify .

jje
  • catfish50
    catfish50 Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    The FAQS say you have to have an unlocked phone for icardmobile
    Please clarify .

jje

If icardmobile and asda use the vodafone network, then a phone locked to vodafone should work on all three.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    low users get 100 mins on Orange for £5 top up and then you buy the 100 minute bundle & any Orange store will take a top up of any amount with "tiny topup's", you roam on T-Mobile 2G aswell, 3 signals for the price of 1 (2G/3G) with 3G T-Mob roaming Q1 2011 thats meant to be happening this month

on Dolphin/camel payg you can also get £5 unlimited texts bundle

or £10 top up on Canary gets you 100 off peak mins & 100 free texts/photo messages then buy the £5 100 mins and your call rate after the 100 is 5p a minute or use the so all in for £10 100 bonus off peak mins, 100 £5 bundle mins & £5 credit left for texts/5p calls/other bundle purchases.

http://www1.orange.co.uk/service_plans/payasyougo/extra_internet.html

click "extras" on left menu for 100 mins for £5 and other available bundles from your payg balance
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure