Asda Mobile PAYG massive price increase

Options

Comments

• Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    To clarify, that's 20p PER DAY for using upto 20MB, not 20p for a 20mb allowance to use up as and when.
    As with everything - it all depends on your usage. Virgin charge 25p/day for up to 30MB per day. 30MB in one day on giffgaff would cost £2.20.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dont know where your wrong information comes from .

Virgin PAYG connect internet 30 seconds = 30p
    Data charge giffgaff you pay a small amount up to 1mb then its 20p up to 20MB and 20p per MB over that so 30mb costs 40p 80 Mb costs 80p on Virgin 80MB costs 30p + 5x£2 = £10.30 .

Dependant upon what Virgin tariff you are on but as i have both Virgin and GiffGaff as standard PAYG i see the bills for both .

jje

You've not added that up right. 10megabytes at 20p a megabyte is £2. So 30megabytes is £2.20 etc.
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 956 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tony077844 wrote: »
    check. firstly 0845 and 0870 calls on giffgaff are a shocking 20p a minute that's nearly three times as expensive as asda at 8p.

So that will be Asda at 10p a minute and therefore twice, not nearly three times, as expensive.

Also, as others have pointed out, you need to reread and understand the Giffgaff data charges from April 4th.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    To clarify, that's 20p PER DAY for using upto 20MB, not 20p for a 20mb allowance to use up as and when.
    As with everything - it all depends on your usage. Virgin charge 25p/day for up to 30MB per day. 30MB in one day on giffgaff would cost £2.20.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dont know where your wrong information comes from .

Virgin PAYG connect internet 30 seconds = 30p
    Data charge giffgaff you pay a small amount up to 1mb then its 20p up to 20MB and 20p per MB over that so 30mb costs 40p 80 Mb costs 80p on Virgin 80MB costs 30p + 5x£2 = £10.30 .

Dependant upon what Virgin tariff you are on but as i have both Virgin and GiffGaff as standard PAYG i see the bills for both .

jje

I'm now thoroughly confused.
    Virgin PAYG is 30p for upto 30MB of data in one day.
    So yes, 30 seconds on the internet will cost you 30p.
    Giffgaff will charge 20p for the first MB, then not charge any more unless 20MB is exceeded in one day, when charges will be 20p per MB.
    So, surely, 30MB in one day on giffgaff, if you don't have a goodybag, will cost £2.20 as I stated, against Virgin's 30p.

I'm also completely lost that you have bills to prove otherwise, when GiffGaff's internet charges don't actually start until 4th April.

Perhaps there are different tariffs, I'm just looking at ones available to new customers. I've never actually used either service so am prepared to be corrected by existing customers.
  • tony077844
    tony077844 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I have got one of there sims for icardmobile yes there landlines are 1p mobiles 5p and texts 4p. they use the vodafone network so any vodafone or asda phones will work on it. or an unlocked one with other networks.

imobile is an mnvo like asda is. with cheap rates only downfall is the customer service but at prices like that you can't complain. gg does not have any call centres. the coverage is exactly the same as vodafone. only downfall they don't have data or roaming yet with them.

the last three months there prices have been this but you do need to check price page to see there offers. they also give free icard to icard calls too pending what zou have topped up.

Free voicemail too unlike gg and asda. i would if i was a vodafone or any other network get the free sim top it up with a fiver and see what you think even if you use it as a spare until you feel happy with it to move your number over. remember too giffgaff only does min ten quid top ups. what you got to loose except a fiver.
  • tony077844
    tony077844 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    other networks worth looking at are

vodafone network (asda, icard,talkmobile)
    orange (nowmobile)
    tmobile (vectone,family mobile ikea)
    o2 (tescolite,lycamobile,gt mobile, new nomimobile,giffgaff)
    3 mobile (coop mobile)
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tony077844 wrote: »
    other networks worth looking at are

vodafone network (asda, icard,talkmobile)
    orange (nowmobile)
    tmobile (vectone,family mobile ikea)
    o2 (tescolite,lycamobile,gt mobile, new nomimobile,giffgaff)
    3 mobile (coop mobile)

The Phone Co-op mobile service since last autumn moved to Orange but connections can still be made via the original 3 mobile based service as it offers slightly lower data charges.
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    icardmobile prices are per minute billing

"What you see on the Call Rates page is what you pay. Calls are billed per minute and there are no hidden charges"

MMS not available, no internet

"Free calls are limited to ten minutes per call. Each minute after this will be charged at the standard UK fixed line rates"

Call and text rates are good and free voicemail, so it just depends what you use your phone for.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To clear up any wrong posts by me here is what i am paying PAYG Virgin .
    Just double checked the tariff with Virgin

21p per minute first 5 mins each day then 6p per min to landlines .

5 mins generally covers my mobile call use to landlines .
    Calls to other network mobiles 41p per min .
    Text to other networks 12p each

Min call charge 16p per call .

Mobile Web 30p per day up to 25 MB over 25 MB is charged at £2.00 per MB .
    40MB used in a day would cost £30.35
    25 at 30p 15 at £2.00 each .
    1/2 MB 30p .

I have the bills for excess usage on Virgin .

GIFFGAFF PAYG .
    from 4=4-11
    8p per min call to Landlines
    8p per min call to other Mobile Networks
    Texts 4p each
    Mobile Web
    20p per day from 1 MB to 20 MB
    1/2 MB charged at under 20p
    Over 20MB charged at 20p per MB .

40 MB used in a day will cost 20p + 20 x20p = 4.20
    1/2 mb would be sub 20p

20MB on Virgin costs 30p GiffGaff 20p
    25 MB on Virgin costs 30p GiffGaff £1.20
    30 MB on Virgin costs £10.30 GiffGaff £2.20
    40Mb on Virgin costs £30.20 GiffGaff £4.20

That is based upon my current existing Virgin PAYG account and next weeks GiffGaff tariff to avoid the current free internet comparing like for like .My needs not someone else's needs who may require a different tariff .
    My needs for a mobile are rare calls rare texts but daily internet of varying degrees of usage .

jje
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 April 2011 at 3:29PM
    Options
    Stuart_W wrote: »

That seems a strange choice of comparison point, outside the cheap range on both.

Virgin is 30p for 25 MB, not the other way round, and then £2 per MB

For something more modest, downloading some email headers and reading 2 or 3 of them might cost 1p on giffgaff and 30p on Virgin.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    That seems a strange choice of comparison point, outside the cheap range on both.

Virgin is 30p for 25 MB, not the other way round, and then £2 per MB

For something more modest, downloading some email headers and reading 2 or 3 of them might cost 1p on giffgaff and 30p on Virgin.

That is one of the selling points behind my switch to GiffGaff as my Virgin mobile accounts shows lots of days with a 30 second connection only on the day charged at 30p . Usage around the 5 to 10mb other days and the killer is that on a high usage with Virgin i have twice ended up with £30 bills for a days use .
    Phone calls and texts not really relevant as phone is used as a mobile phone land line used as the main communication point .
    Previous to mobile internet my phone cost for mobile would be about £3 a year .

jje
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport