PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to use up single cream?

Options
just got a large 1 pint tub of single cream reduced from Tescos, needs to be used up by tomorrow, any ideas what to do with it?

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    use it in your coffee,over fruit,not sure really
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • mel_anthe
    Options
    could you use it to replace some of the milk in a rice pudding?
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have just looked it up for you in my freezer book and it seems that double cream is Ok to freeze but not single - something to do with the high fat content. So maybe make a large amount of sauce with it like a bechamel and then freeze in 2 containers. Would that help?
  • kiwifruit_2
    Options
    add either lemon juice or vinegar to it and leave it to 'sit' for abit and you have sour cream to use on wedges/chilli con carne etc etc
    'Normal' is a dryer setting.
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    On breakfast cereal for a bit of luxury, in hot chocolate, likewise, with pasta and smoked salmon, in milkshake to make it extra creamy, on any hot pudding eg crumble or apple pie etc, in quiche, in tarts (see Jusrol site for some good ideas), Black Saturn's easy chocolate moussse (just chocolate and cream, nothing else, see Index), in White Russian (my favourite cocktail - with chocolate liquor and vodka, mixed to taste) - or on fresh fruit, the classic. How can one ever have enough, that is the question???:rotfl:
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Make a huge Spagetti Carbonara? Scrummy with cream and bacon
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    What about porridge?
    Or switch up some eggs and add some of it to make a luxurious ommlette.
    I made a frittata this weekend to use up some cream - mixed 6 eggs together with a decent amount of cream, seasoned, then poured the mixture over some lightly fried onions and potatoes in a shallow casserole dish. Baked in the oven for about 30 mins then sprinkled some grated cheese over and baked for about another 15 mins - until set. Serve with garlic bread and salad (or, sometimes, beans). Leftovers used to stuff pitta bread.
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    You could use it for soup. If you have any spare veg, potatoes, parsnips, leeks, whatever, chop it up, add a chopped onion, and fry until soft. Add 1.5 pints of chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Blend and then stir in about 3 fl oz cream (or more if you like it really creamy) before serving.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buy large sticky chocolate cake.

Chuck the cream over.

Job done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories