PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pimp My Bin Old-Stylers!

Comments

• You could mount a battery-powered red flashing light into the lid, which is connected to a circuit which originates outside the bin. As the bin is moved away (obviously, you'd have to make sure it was switched off on bin day) the circuit is broken and the flashing light goes on, plus a siren sounds.

I'm not too sure how expensive this would be to put together - but we've got everything except the flashing light in my son's Science set! :laugh:
    :hello: I'm very well, considering the state I'm in. :hello:
    Weight loss since 2 March 10 : 13lbs
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    hazzie123 wrote:
    PS.Any ideas how to colour pasta without painting every single piece?
    LOL I once had to make a model of the veins with their valves and arteries etc. It turned out pretty damn good, even cut a foam pillow for the muscles either side of the vein :D Anyway, I came up with the idea of using cooked spaghetti as the capillaries, I dyed some with blue food colouring and some with red (de and oxygenated vessels) then covered it in PVA glue.......................it's STILL there to this day 8 years on!! ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    nearlyrich wrote:
    I was going to suggest boiling it in water with food colouring but it will be soggy and not that usable after...you could just drop the pasta in some paint and get it all coated then leave it to dry or spray paint it?
    LMAO.............this'll teach me to take ages to post a post! :o:o As I say in my above post, as long as you let it dry a bit then cover in PVA glue it should be fine, mine obviously shrank as it dried, but still in tact today!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    How about a big picture of Martin with something like "Hands Off MSEr's Bins"?

Sorry, pretty c***!
  • You Lucky people having wheely bins! :mad: We are'nt offered them here and the council have now told us we have to buy our own black bags! :mad: :mad:

How would I decorate an invisible wheely bin :confused:
    What if there IS no PMS and this is just my personality :confused:
  • Hows about printing off some HAZCHEM signs and paste them over your bin to make people think twice about what might be lurking inside! ... just hope it doesn't deter the binmen (or should that be bin-people).

How about:

da9t.gifda57t.gifda5t.gif
    2009 wins: Signed Saxon CD, Solar Torch, Drumsticks, Priest Feast Tix, Watch, Hammerfest tix :beer:
  • ... or you could just stick your house number on the lid, and fill it up with all your own rubbish, including the cleaning outs of the ferret hutch and various pooper scooper bags ... and I guarantee NO-ONE will consider stealing it - especially during the summer if your in an area where they're only collected fortnightly!
  • here's a novel idea. Talk to your neighbours (oooooh -don't know if I could do that) Club together and buy a plastic stencil kit of 3" letters and numbers, and stencil on your house number and the road name using a nice muted silver coloured spray paint.

- very muted and quaite naice if you live in a posh area!;)
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Our wheelie bins are BRIGHT PURPLE :eek: So at our old address we painted our address on it with white gloss paint. Here we used a black perm marker to write the house number on it :D The local community group went around asking people if they wanted their bin painted (they didn't come to our street :( ) so now on the way to the shops I see Pokemon, Liverpool Football Club, Everton Football Club, teddies, Simpsons and all sorts of other things. Really brightens up the place :D

Meant to add that a few weeks ago someone went along our road and spraypainted the numbers of the houses on the front of the bin:mad: Our bin was fine without that being plastered all over it. :mad:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Chatterbox wrote:
    You Lucky people having wheely bins! :mad: We are'nt offered them here and the council have now told us we have to buy our own black bags! :mad: :mad:

How would I decorate an invisible wheely bin :confused:

:confused:

If you find out, do let me know!!

We don't get them either - b****y council :rolleyes: :mad:

x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure