PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pimp My Bin Old-Stylers!

Comments

• Couple of things:

Fortunately we don't seem to have a problem with people stealing bins here in sunny Newark (actually it's dark just now, we're not that advanced!) but I guess that if I was a thieving herbert I'd see it as a challenge if the bin said something like "Nick at your peril" or "bin police about", so a pimp of that nature may just backfire. Likewise Bart Simpson, who is rather cool, may be susceptible to stealing.

As for those without wheelie bins, glad to see you haven't moaned about the potential for having them. I've heard so many folk moan about fortnightly collections, with no grounds. They don't smell in the summer unless you leave the lid up, and you're only getting rid of the same amount of rubbish as before, just recycling some of it in alternate weeks' collections. (sorry, soap box moment over)

Re the question of ownership and therefore right to decorate, a quick call to the council would start the debate and I'm sure most money savers could persuade their council that it's cheaper to allow artistic flair than to replace bins.

Bring on the pimps! Mine would consist of leftover paint for sure.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dekrowrevo wrote:
    here's a novel idea. Talk to your neighbours (oooooh -don't know if I could do that) Club together and buy a plastic stencil kit of 3" letters and numbers, and stencil on your house number and the road name using a nice muted silver coloured spray paint.

- very muted and quaite naice if you live in a posh area!;)

I already had a stencil, so I marked the house number and street name in black felt pen...........then filled in with white gloss paint. It sounds boring but I did arrange the number/letters in an arch (a bit like a rainbow, but with only one colour:D ).............so it looks a bit different.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Chatterbox wrote:
    You Lucky people having wheely bins! :mad: We are'nt offered them here and the council have now told us we have to buy our own black bags! :mad: :mad:

How would I decorate an invisible wheely bin :confused:
    You don't know how lucky you are. We have one wheely bin in a house of 5 people, collected once every two weeks, and what doesn't fit in the bin, isn't taken.

Despite recycling everything that is humanly possible (which is also the most complicated thing I've ever had to do - mix cardboard and paper, they won't take it. Bottles too close to the cans and they won't take anything, and a few weeks ago, they left me a note staying they hadn't taken any of my recyclable rubbish because it was put into the supplied containers in a manner that was "too messy"), we're getting quite a backlog of rubbish laying around in the garden now as we have more than one wheelie bin full, every fortnight. We can't have a second bin, or a larger bin. Bristol City Council used to offer this - they don't anymore.

The first week they started only collecting every other week I refilled it to the top after they emptied it, and wheeled it round the corner - where they emptied it again in the afternoon when they got to that bit. Can't be doing that every week though - I have work to do normally.

Hang onto your black bags as long as you can - thats what I say.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hey what a great idea, I am going to ask my son (who already does stencil graffit art for his A level course) to devise a Pimp My Bin stencil with lettering and a picture!

I wonder whether the council would disapprove, though!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Caterina wrote:
    Hey what a great idea, I am going to ask my son (who already does stencil graffit art for his A level course) to devise a Pimp My Bin stencil with lettering and a picture!

I wonder whether the council would disapprove, though!

Caterina

You can get A levels in graffiti?:confused::rotfl: No doubt degrees too!:eek::D

PS : Hi Caterina, long time no virtual see?:hello:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Customise your bin AND keep the kids occupied next weekend/school holiday by buying two or three pots of acrylic paints (around a quid each) from any craft shop, and let them loose with a side of the bin each.
    It doesn't have to be a picture, just dots and stripes - an abstract pattern, maybe even the house number repeated dozens of times all over the bin in different colours.
    One side of our wheelie bin has sunflowers, the other a brown rat!
    (If anybody did want to pinch it, it would be very noticeable being wheeled off down our street!)
  • toasterman wrote:
    You don't know how lucky you are. We have one wheely bin in a house of 5 people, collected once every two weeks, and what doesn't fit in the bin, isn't taken.

I see your point

Despite recycling everything that is humanly possible (which is also the most complicated thing I've ever had to do - mix cardboard and paper, they won't take it. Bottles too close to the cans and they won't take anything, and a few weeks ago, they left me a note staying they hadn't taken any of my recyclable rubbish because it was put into the supplied containers in a manner that was "too messy"), we're getting quite a backlog of rubbish laying around in the garden now as we have more than one wheelie bin full, every fortnight. We can't have a second bin, or a larger bin. Bristol City Council used to offer this - they don't anymore.

We are also expected to recycle but as yet they're not too strict

The first week they started only collecting every other week I refilled it to the top after they emptied it, and wheeled it round the corner - where they emptied it again in the afternoon when they got to that bit. Can't be doing that every week though - I have work to do normally.

FANTASTIC IDEA! Hawk your spare rubbish to later collection!:T

Hang onto your black bags as long as you can - thats what I say.

But they charge for them and we already pay rates! :mad:
    What if there IS no PMS and this is just my personality :confused:
  • I find I sometimes have trouble getting my bin emptied by the rubbish crew who collect from where I live ('rubbish' as in noun, not adjective !)
    So I would pimp my own bin as:
    "Please don't refuse my refuse"
    in the hope they would empty it....

(Does the pun come over as such?)
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First of all you need to get one of these:

http://www.shipoffools.com/Gadgets/Musical/104.html

Glue it to the top and rig it so it sings whenever anyone moves the bin UNLESS they know the secret code you've keyed into the electronic pad.

Then you take some pink fluorescent paint and write in big friendly letters:

JESUS IS WATCHING YOU

(I'm allowed to say all this, I'm a Christian ;))
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    toasterman wrote:

We take as much recycling as we can with us when we do our weekly shop (Recycling centre at Tesco). By doing this, we have less than one black bag per week of refuse between the four of us, which is mainly food waste (our council don't collect that yet...
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport