We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Pregnancy Club 21

Options

Comments

• galvanizersbaby
    Options
    Pixiepops wrote: »
    Thanks susanc, I think I'll call the surgery at some point and see what they say.

Just wondering, what 'baby proofing' do you need to do around the home? I figured plug covers and table corner protectors but is there anything else. I know baby won't be moving around too soon but if it takes after me it'll be curious about EVERYTHING. (I bit into a bundle of electric wires on something my father was working on and got a slight shock. I also walked my walker down 2 stairs and managed to climb onto the table from a seat thing. All this at quite a young age so I'm worried about starting to babyproof early :P Yes, I'm a worrier.)

Child locks for kitchen cupboards (to make sure baby doesn't open them)
    Stairgate (for obvious reasons!)

Re the walkers - I had one for DS but he was never left unsupervised in it - I think that's mostly commonsense though :o

To be honest I never worried too much about the childlocks but mine were always within grabbing distance - little monkeys.
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    Ha! That got the old mind working .... just twigged who you are! Glad you like the cot, my spare parts haven't arrived yet!

I'm having a bad pain today too - doubled my codeine today. Still no sign of the physio appointment.

That's not good :( I'm paying today for having walked to the post office yesterday, was a painful reminder of how little I can do now.
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DueMarch11 wrote: »
    Whats a clam Saturday?

1 Saturday a month we have a seafood night and call it clam Saturday.

no actually i cant spell, I meant calm :p
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • digitalphase
    digitalphase Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2011 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Goodness, you lot have been busy gassing :rotfl:

Sorry to hear others are in pain too :( Bloody hate this SPD. I get pain mostly on my left side, which is the side they recommend you sleep on - d'oh! I tend to alternate sides during the night, but gosh it hurts turning over :(If you have SPD in one pregnancy are you guaranteed to get it in future pregnancies? As I always wanted two children, but I'm not sure I can go through all this again. The nausea, tiredness and depression is one thing, but not actually being able to get out of the house or do any jobs around the house without paying for it later, is another.
    I had a busy day yesterday and was really paying for it by the time OH came home. Had a bath which helped a bit, but it's a deep bath so hurts getting out :eek:

It's VERY windy here. It usually is quite windy anyway as we're in an exposed position and pretty high up. Was difficult trying to sleep last night as I have a chimney in my bedroom and its whistling down it :mad: We have another in our front room where I spend most of the day, and it does your nut in. Next house = no chimneys.

Boots Parenting Club - I joined this when I was 8 weeks pregnant and didn't receive anything. Joined again with a different email address over a month ago and still not received anything. Not too bothered about the changing bag as I have one already, but would do for grandparents or OH. Stupid Boots.

I haven't had any alcohol since being pregnant. I worry too much anyway, and watched a program on TV a few weeks ago about the effects of alcohol on a fetus and it reinforced my view. Just my opinion/personal preference though, I am not slating or trying to make anyone feel guilty who has had a drink.
    I am looking forward to having a lovely cold glass of Rose though once I get this baby out!!

Well, better get dressed and do some washing I suppose.
  • Pixiepops
    Pixiepops Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options

Re the walkers - I had one for DS but he was never left unsupervised in it - I think that's mostly commonsense though :o

To be honest I never worried too much about the childlocks but mine were always within grabbing distance - little monkeys.

Portuguese households are a little different to British households in the way children are brought up, I find. If my grandmother or aunt (my mother gave me to them when I was born) needed to go and cook, I'd be left in my walker or playpen or I'd be on a playmat with the dog walking around. My family never really believed in health and safety :P Also, everyone but my grandmother worked so a lot of the time it'd be just her cleaning and cooking and I'd have to be left alone. It's just a different way of life in rural Portugal. I will be one of those overprotective parents probably.

Oh and I knew about the stairgate but I live in a flat so not something I need. I realise baby won't be born walking around and stuff, I just have to think ahead about EVERYTHING. :o
    A-Z Challenge: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Good Luck to all who comp!
    Comping wishlist: Cash // iPad // Clothing vouchers // Holiday
  • Teenie_D
    Teenie_D Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options

LOL I'm a terrible Mummy I never child proofed anything :o. Never bothered with a stair gate as I wanted DD to learn how to climb up and down the stairs safely, never put locks on cupboards as I wanted her to learn what she could and could not touch. I did have the safety covers for sockets but forgot to put them on, and the only time DD touched them was to plug in my hairdryer for me!! :D

We will need some sort of gate for this house though due to the dangerous stairs, unfortunately due to the way they are designed at the bottom, this is going to be really tricky!
    "That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."
  • mrsspendalot
    mrsspendalot Posts: 3,238 Forumite
    Options
    Goodness, you lot have been busy gassing :rotfl:

Sorry to hear others are in pain too :( Bloody hate this SPD. I get pain mostly on my left side, which is the side they recommend you sleep on - d'oh! I tend to alternate sides during the night, but gosh it hurts turning over :(If you have SPD in one pregnancy are you guaranteed to get it in future pregnancies? As I always wanted two children, but I'm not sure I can go through all this again. The nausea, tiredness and depression is one thing, but not actually being able to get out of the house or do any jobs around the house without paying for it later, is another.
    I had a busy day yesterday and was really paying for it by the time OH came home. Had a bath which helped a bit, but it's a deep bath so hurts getting out :eek:

I was told by my midwife it was not guaranteed to happen again, but made the probability higher. I was told by my GP at my 6 week check after my last baby that I would definitely get it again, and earlier, and worse. Unfortunately at the moment I would have to say that my GP was spot on :(

I still think it is worth it though for what you get at the end.

I found this time I planned well in advance for the fact it would probably happen and right from TTC I was careful not to lift anything. Once I found out I was pregnant I didn't hoover, walk far, lift anything, etc to try and protect myself. I am gutted it's come back so early, but I am still pleased I am having another baby and wouldn't change it.
    Olympic Countdown Challenge #145 ~ DFW Nerd #389 ~ Debt Free Date: [STRIKE]December 2015[/STRIKE] September 2015

:j BabySpendalot arrived 26/6/11 :j
  • ddebski_us
    ddebski_us Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations for lactulose girls - just bought a bottle of it from Boots.

Will let you know how I get on................... :eek::rotfl:

xDx
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever.....
    :happyhear Baby girl born 27th September - 10 days late!! :happyhear
  • galvanizersbaby
    Options
    Teenie_D wrote: »
    LOL I'm a terrible Mummy I never child proofed anything :o. Never bothered with a stair gate as I wanted DD to learn how to climb up and down the stairs safely, never put locks on cupboards as I wanted her to learn what she could and could not touch. I did have the safety covers for sockets but forgot to put them on, and the only time DD touched them was to plug in my hairdryer for me!! :D

We will need some sort of gate for this house though due to the dangerous stairs, unfortunately due to the way they are designed at the bottom, this is going to be really tricky!

lol! :rotfl:I had a stairgate for DS (but we did have an unusual shaped winding staircase) but DD I taught to go down backwards quite quickly.
    I think it's a good idea to teach them what they can and can't touch
  • Teenie_D
    Teenie_D Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Teenie_D wrote: »
    . It's just raining and miserable here, better that than the snow :shhh:though!

Note to self, don't tempt fate. It is now snowing here! :eek:
    "That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport