Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB?

Options

Comments

• jmcdyre
    jmcdyre Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I only just heard about this today and had it confirmed by customer service that my 3gb cap will reduce to 500mb after feb 1st.

Chap said that email and background data won't be taken into account, but surfing will.

Not sure exactly how much I use, I only pay £5 per month for my bundle but it's one hell of a drop.

Was hoping to find some good material here but it's full of some silly argument instead!
  • ampletime
    ampletime Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's been quoted yet, but I've had a reply from Ofcom.

Hopefully this isn't out of context but (and I'll quote a bit more than I need to)....

As I only use my Android phone for interweb (I don't really use it to call people) I think most will agree it's detrimental.

I still haven't been officially notified even though I used more than 500mb last month.

They have breached their contract as they haven't given 30 days notice
  • mmpombears
    Options
    http://conversation.which.co.uk/mobile/mobile-phone-networks/t-mobile-drastically-cuts-data-usage-allowances/

Can't link directly to comments afaik but scroll down to the one posted by Karnka (with penguin avatar)
  • hillendale
    Options
    I spoke with TM earlier they say there is nothing customers can do
    I personally think they'll soon think again once they start receiving hundreds of calls complaining a about the proposed changes. :)
  • musical_norwich
    Options
    It might have got drowned out, but there is a template letter here

Do ring OFCOM on 02079813040 to complain. Why is OFCOM doing nothing to protect consumers when T-Mobile is blatantly breaking the law?
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nickmack wrote: »
    Spot on.

The actions of a tiny minority in vastly exceeding the FUP, should not be enough to bring down the whole data network. In implementing this blanket change, they are alienating a large portion of the user base. They could either target them individually or apply the terms to new contracts.

If they genuinely are having network bandwidth issues, they should have addressed these in line with projected smartphone sales, knowing they have provided a potential 1Gb/3Gb data allowance for each contract.

Exactly if its only a very small percentage, why not reduce it to say 2GB. Or just let those who are abusing it move without charge, after all they are doing this to improve the experience for all its other customers and it has nothing to do with profits ;)
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
  • hillendale
    Options
    T-Mobile (UK)
    Customer Administration
    6 Camberwell Way
    Doxford Technology Park
    Doxford
    Sunderland
    Tyne & Wear
    SR3 3XN

cust.rel@t-mobile.co.uk

down with t-mobile:mad:
  • pinkllama
    pinkllama Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 January 2011 at 3:10PM
    Options
    i have just received an email response from T-Mobile's C/S. I emailed them on monday asking that my contracts be cancelled due to the change in FUP.

I have underlined and italicized the most interesting part of their refusal to cancel.
    By offering to sell me an internet booster at extra cost to myself to give me a service that has until now been included in my price plan, I'm 100% sure that they are in breach of contract.

I have been delaying on whether or not to write to them, informing them that I am terminating our contract and that they charge me no termination fees and that they release PAC's.

Now I'm completely confident of a positive result and am about to post a termination letter via recorded delivery and cancel my direct debit to T-Mobile.

email from T-Mobile C/S 12th jan

Dear Mr .....

Thank you for your email regarding the changes to our fair use policies for using the internet on your phone. I appreciate you highlighting this situation as it now gives me the opportunity to explain our position.

Whilst the fair use policy for accessing the internet on your phone is being reduced to 500MB a calendar month you will still get unlimited web browsing. This allows you to browse websites and check email as much as you want even if you exceed the fair use policy. The amount is then reset at the start of the next month.

The only time you would notice the change to the fair use policy is if you go over it; then you will not be able to download files or stream/watch video clips for the rest of the month. We do recommend that these activities are best done using your home broadband connection.

The change to our fair use policy does not mean you can get out of your contract. In line with your agreement we have to give you reasonable notice that your fair use policy is changing. The change is being made to enhance the overall service our customers get when accessing the internet as it allows all of our customers a fair opportunity to access the internet and a better online experience.

We remain the only operator who does not charge run on rates: if you go over your fair use amount you can still browse and email, plus we will not charge you any more. So you can continue to use the internet safe in the knowledge of how much you are paying each month. If you would like to use the internet for downloading a lot of data each month you can buy a booster to allow additional usage.

If you wish to close your account, I am afraid you will need to pay an early termination. This is currently £156.67 ex VAT. This is because you agreed to a 24 month contract on 5 February 2010.

Whilst I appreciate this is not the answer you are looking for, I am afraid our stance on the matter will remain the same.

Thank you once again for your email Mr .... I hope I have managed to explain our position clearly on the matter.

Kind regards

James Weldon
    Complaint Investigations
    T-Mobile
  • samba
    samba Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is incorrect - he's not a troll because he has a difference of opinion, he's a troll because he is WRONG. Everyone knows this, even he does... yet despite that he keeps making incorrect statements and diverting the thread off topic.

Well I don't know that he's wrong - I believe he may be right. By your logic tho this now makes you a troll too, as your assertion that "Everyone knows this" is wrong, and if you aree wrong you then you must be a troll.:p

My own feeling is that this issue is being blown out of all proportion, and really the problem lies with the success of services like spotify who need to do a deal with the networks to help cover the cost of transporting the huge amounts of data they are creating. just my tuppence worth.

Also, tho you may feel you have a right to 3GB of data per month, you also have a duty to respect other people's rights to be able to downlaod data, which may mean regulating your usage more when available bandwidth is scarce, so that eveyone can share what is available.
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    I still haven't heard anything about this. Perhaps my data usage is too small? #shrugs shoulders
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure