Tmobile changes fair use policy to 500MB?

Options

Comments

• Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    N20Y1D wrote: »
    Are they allowed to do that though? I'm sure it breaks some law.

As above, I would have thought that if the debt was disputed then they wouldn't be able to affect your credit rating. Perhaps someone in the know can clarify.

Just rang T-Mob to check what my data allowance was - got told by the lady abroad (not sure where but don't think it was India) that my allowance was 1GB but that they are changing it to 500MB... asked to be put through to cancellations and got told that if it was because of the data change, they wouldn't let me cancel and she quoted the term about being allowed to withdraw additional services etc... I retorted that it wasn't an additional service, it was a core service and we just bounced back and two for a minute or two.

Asked to speak to a manager and got told they would only tell me the same thing.

Was getting no where so asked her to note on the system that I had requested cancellation and that I would write to their head office.

Just waiting for the Which template cancellation letter to come through now and will get it in the post.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • technoflare
    Options
    Mine is still saying Capped data and Unlimited Internet both free. Still no text from them, but when I called them the other day they confirmed it would go down to 500MB. Personally I am going to give it a few more days so that I can also state that they have not notified me of a change, a blatent breach of contract. I wull then get a deadlock email so I can take it further. Also, hope in the next few days Which? may well have further news. Is this one for Martin too?
  • ispartacus75
    Options
    MrsWassire wrote: »
    NO notification here for our two HTC Desires. And shockingly... I logged into my account on T-Mobile to try and find my contract. It clearly said Web n Walk 18 (or whatever), FREE. However I sent them a message asking whether I would be affected and said if I was I wanted to terminate my contract immediately. I then came on here and saw a message about a screen grab of the WnW, so went back to get it, and it's GONE and it now says "Capped Data"!

It will still be there on your previous bills though. Go to one of them and rather than screen grab download the PDF
  • nsabournemouth
    Options
    N20Y1D wrote: »
    Which address/es?

loyalty@t-mobile.co.uk

I kid you not that is there address!

Also had this response to my email:

Thank you for email about the changes to our fair use policies for using the internet on your phone.

Whilst the fair use policy for accessing the internet on your phone is being reduced to 500MB a calendar month you will still get unlimited web browsing. This allows you to browse websites and check email as much as you want even if you exceed the fair use policy. The amount is then reset at the start of the next month.

The only time you would notice the change to the fair use policy is if you go over it; then you will not be able to download files or stream/watch video clips for the rest of the month. We do recommend that these activities are best done using your home broadband connection.

The change to our fair use policy does not mean you can get out of your contract. In line with your agreement we have to give you reasonable notice that your fair use policy is changing. The change is being made to enhance the overall service our customers get when accessing the internet as it allows all of our customers a fair opportunity to access the internet and a better online experience.

We remain the only operator who does not charge run on rates: if you go over your fair use amount you can still browse and email, plus we will not charge you any more. So you can continue to use the internet safe in the knowledge of how much you are paying each month. If you would like to use the internet for downloading a lot of data each month you can buy a booster to allow additional usage.

In order to receive your Porting Authorisation Code (PAC) you would be subject to an early termination fee, currently £530.61 VAT exempt. If you would like for me to issue your PAC, please let me know and I will arrange this for you, and also the fee to your final bill.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me with your concerns . I trust you find this information useful.

Kind regards
  • mmpombears
    Options
    asked to be put through to cancellations and got told that if it was because of the data change, they wouldn't let me cancel and she quoted the term about being allowed to withdraw additional services etc... I retorted that it wasn't an additional service, it was a core service and we just bounced back and two for a minute or two.

Asked to speak to a manager and got told they would only tell me the same thing.

The exact same happened to me every single time, very annoying. Spoke to someone who ended up being a manager and it was still "you can't cancel due to FUP changes"
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    Still no text from them, but when I called them the other day they confirmed it would go down to 500MB. Personally I am going to give it a few more days so that I can also state that they have not notified me of a change, a blatent breach of contract.

Them telling you on the phone counts as notification I think.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • musical_norwich
    musical_norwich Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2011 at 10:55AM
    Options
    The key point is that T-Mobile's permission to cancel is not needed. It is a legal and contractual right.

The letter I posted is fine. Recorded post is the way to send it - to the address on the letter. The letter is here: http://cantankerous.co.uk/?p=499

Conversations with managers, etc. are a waste of time, unless you like getting angry and infuriated.

T-mobile knows it is in the wrong. Printing out the template letter, sending it, and cancelling your direct debit is exactly what T-Mobile does not want you to do.

The arbitration service has gone native, is unreliable and slow. Much quicker just to exercise your legal rights. T-Mobile also refuse to issue a deadlock letter for the maximum amount of time, which I think is eight weeks, in a further attempt to subvert the whole process.

Cancelling the direct debit is no risk. The amount is in dispute and hence cannot be entered onto your credit file.

How do I know all this? Because when they did something similar, but much less detrimental, on 0870 numbers, I took them to court and received this:

cheque.jpg
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    loyalty@t-mobile.co.uk

I kid you not that is there address!

Also had this response to my email:

Was that in reply to musical_norwichs letter?

As it looks almost identical to the reply i got yesterday.
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
  • mmpombears
    mmpombears Posts: 34 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2011 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Just received a reply to the message I sent via their web form on the 10th Jan (Monday). Seems to me they are regurgitating the same old lame "explanations" to customers.

Good morning <me>

Thank you for your email regarding the changes to our fair use policies for using the internet on your phone.

Whilst the fair use policy for accessing the internet on your phone is being reduced to 500MB a calendar month you will still get unlimited web browsing. This allows you to browse websites and check email as much as you want even if you exceed the fair use policy. The amount is then reset at the start of the next month.

The only time you would notice the change to the fair use policy is if you go over it; then you will not be able to download files or stream/watch video clips for the rest of the month. We do recommend that these activities are best done using your home broadband connection.

The change to our fair use policy does not mean you can get out of your contract. In line with your agreement we have to give you reasonable notice that your fair use policy is changing. The change is being made to enhance the overall service our customers get when accessing the internet as it allows all of our customers a fair opportunity to access the internet and a better online experience.

We remain the only operator who does not charge run on rates: if you go over your fair use amount you can still browse and email, plus we will not charge you any more. So you can continue to use the internet safe in the knowledge of how much you are paying each month. If you would like to use the internet for downloading a lot of data each month you can buy a booster to allow additional usage.

Thank you again for your email. I trust you find this information helpful.

Kind regards

Edited to add: their email response was sent from [EMAIL="loyalty&#64;t-mobile.co.uk"]loyalty@t-mobile.co.uk[/EMAIL]
  • ispartacus75
    Options
    If the internet is an additional service surely this would mean that it is also optional. Additional means in addition to the contract. So they are arguing that it is not a part of the contract, therefore it is optional. If its optional why have none of us ever had the option to cancel the internet?
    Answer is because it is not optional, its an intrinsic part of the the contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure