Nibe Fighter 360p ashp costing me loads to run

Comments

• Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2011 at 7:42PM
    ra200 wrote: »
    Keep us updated

Right had the energy monitor running which is connected direct to the nibe 360p since this morning and when the immersion heater is not running and just the compressor and fan and pump are running the nibe is using around 0.78kw of electricity so that is
    24 x 0.78kw = 18.72 units per day
    then
    18.72 x 14p = £ 2.62p per day = 78.60p per month inc vat for a cold house and cold water

That is £78.60p per month minimum it can not drop any lower than this it is physically impossible unless i switch the unit off, So when the immersion heater is running and also we start using the hot water the cost it going to go through the roof

Then today when the immersion heater kicks in the usage goes up from 0.78kw to 7.01kw

i will use the hot water tonight to wash the dishes and run one bath and post back with how much it has cost.

Hi mate, much appreciated for you to keep us updated, thanks.

Realistically speaking we could be looking at £78.60 in the Summer because certain parts of the unit will continue to run i.e. the fans, but then you have got to add more money to that because you will still need to run the immersion at some point during the day to have a bath or a decently warm shower.

This unit will never average itself out during a year because even with a combi and electric we were never paying anywhere need £78 during the summer, yes this amount plus abit during the winter but i can live with that because during the winter you need to stay warm.

Your £78.00 just for the Nibe then you have to add some more to that for running the rest of the house like lights, TV's etc but realistically speaking not a great deal more, but it's still a lot higher than you would expect.

We have spoken to a guy who lives in a 1 bedroom flat this afternoon and he has had his first bill for £96.00, i mean to be honest that's dreadful.

We are hoping to get all the residents together in a local room with Orbit so i can explain our situation and to let them know what we have done i.e. contact Orbit, CAB etc and really just to make sure they are aware that it's not their fault but the Nibe systems fault.

Also this gives Orbit a chance to explain that they are stunned about it all and that they are contacting the companies involved to come up with a solution as soon as possible as this can not continue the way it is going.

I'll keep you updated as much as possible, thanks again.

The other thing to mention is - we took a reading at 6pm today and over a 24hr period we have used 43kW during the day and 7kW during the night even thou the outside temperature today was 11 deg and this reading was took off the boiler so at what point is the boiler going to save us anything, at 8 deg it supposed to run efficiently, i just can't see it happening.
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2011 at 9:46PM
    That £78.60 basically is for nothing as it would be £78.60 per month just to keep the unit pluged in with no real hot water and the heating running cold so basically pointless:( as i have two children i have not got money to burn,

I have lived in this house for 11 months and the cost of 11 months is over £1500 and the unit was switched off between may and end of september plus we never use the hot water and swalec said that if i was using it for hot water from the system aswell the cost for 12 months would be near £3000:eek:

It was around 11c outside here this afternoon and it still needed the immersion heater to heat the house and have hot water i really hoped after nibe had been yesterday that the system would be running ok but it is still the same using loads of electricity:(.

Aceboyz wrote: »
    Hi mate, much appreciated for you to keep us updated, thanks.

Realistically speaking we could be looking at £78.60 in the Summer because certain parts of the unit will continue to run i.e. the fans, but then you have got to add more money to that because you will still need to run the immersion at some point during the day to have a bath or a decently warm shower.

This unit will never average itself out during a year because even with a combi and electric we were never paying anywhere need £78 during the summer, yes this amount plus abit during the winter but i can live with that because during the winter you need to stay warm.

Your £78.00 just for the Nibe then you have to add some more to that for running the rest of the house like lights, TV's etc but realistically speaking not a great deal more, but it's still a lot higher than you would expect.

We have spoken to a guy who lives in a 1 bedroom flat this afternoon and he has had his first bill for £96.00, i mean to be honest that's dreadful.

We are hoping to get all the residents together in a local room with Orbit so i can explain our situation and to let them know what we have done i.e. contact Orbit, CAB etc and really just to make sure they are aware that it's not their fault but the Nibe systems fault.

Also this gives Orbit a chance to explain that they are stunned about it all and that they are contacting the companies involved to come up with a solution as soon as possible as this can not continue the way it is going.

I'll keep you updated as much as possible, thanks again.

The other thing to mention is - we took a reading at 6pm today and over a 24hr period we have used 43kW during the day and 7kW during the night even thou the outside temperature today was 11 deg and this reading was took off the boiler so at what point is the boiler going to save us anything, at 8 deg it supposed to run efficiently, i just can't see it happening.
  • Aceboyz
    That £78.60 basically is for nothing as it would be £78.60 per month just to keep the unit pluged in with no real hot water and the heating running cold so basically pointless:( as i have two children i have not got money to burn,

I have lived in this house for 11 months and the cost of 11 months is over £1500 and the unit was switched off between may and end of september plus we never use the hot water and swalec said that if i was using it for hot water from the system aswell the cost for 12 months would be near £3000:eek:

It was around 11c outside here this afternoon and it still needed the immersion heater to heat the house and have hot water i really hoped after nibe had been yesterday that the system would be running ok but it is still the same using loads of electricity:(.

Wow them figures are frightening, we have no option but to use the immersion water for at least 3hrs anyway, that's either to have a bath or a shower. If we had an electrical shower then the Nibe would be switched off now it's only the hot water that's keeping it alive, i have on so many occasions wanted to take the bigggggest hammer too it and absolutely belt it one. The thermostat on the wall outside that during the winter does what it wants to do was going to be destroyed weeks ago it was only my wife that stopped me from killing it.

The frustration levels in this house are unnecessary and it's all because of one thing just hope to prey it either blows up or it gets replaced by a proper boiler that does what it says on the tin.
  • Aceboyz wrote: »
    The Nibe system runs very well in Sweden because they don't have any gas in the country and only use hydroelectric, no wonder it's so cheap to run.

This is the whole point of the RHI to subsidise the electricity cost per unit to fall in line with the gas price. Then these things will actually be cheaper than gas and worthwhile having. However, Persimmon (developer) who built my house contracted a bunch of cowboys who were not MCS registered to install it. Due to that, I will not be able to claim.

I sent a rather long winded formal complaint to Flagship Housing (housing association) this evening explaining the entire situation. Will update you all with how I get on. Running costs are still coming in between 20KWh - 25KWh a day, which on the plus side is promising. But I will not let it rest, that Persimmon Homes contracted a bunch cowboys to install the unit. Think its time I named them too. Taylor Plumbing and Heating in Sudbury.

Keep us all updated guys. I really do feel for you and hope you find a solution soon.
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
  • ra200
    edited 13 January 2011 at 2:38AM
    I know how you feel tuesday was stressfull enough for me and my partner when we had the nibe engineer out and the electrician installer from greenhill construction here because the nibe engineer could not get the immersion heater to kick in due to the fact that the outdoor temp was the same as the trend calc i got accused a few times by the greenhill electrician though out the afternoon of breaking it:eek: and messing with the setting and doing something to the immersion and breaking it:mad: in the end the nibe engineer got the immersion to kick in but i got no apology from the greenhill guy for trying to make out i had broken it:( how i did not kick the guy out of the house i don't know,

Then i go out and come back to find the floor in the cupboard with the nibe in coved in water then the greenhill guy comes back out today and repaired it but and left load of mess on the floor where they has cut plastic pipe:whistle: and said it was caused by heat but you could clearly see that some one had broken the pipe it was not broken the day before and the only people who was messing around in there was the greenhill electrician and the nibe guy :doh:

And now even though i have paid £350 of my electricity bill and had to disputed the bill with swalec i now got to pay them another £1300 by the end of next week and then i got another bill on the way on the 21st of jan and that was with out using any hot water and the house cold as the immersion heater would push the cost though the roof,

So far the energy monitor has been on just over 12 hours and the nibe has used loads of power so far and it has been up to 11c outdoors today and it is 9c outdoors right now i will post back tomorrow with the costs and how much power it has used so far in 24hrs

They really should has installed some thing like the glowworm clearly hybrid http://www.glow-wormheating.co.uk/clearly-hybrid/clearly-hybrid.php & http://ecobuild.co.uk/var/uploads/exhibitor/1882/sco8wvabbd.pdf it is a heat pump and gas boiler the glowworm selects between what ever is the most cost-effective energy source at the time at the time much better than this nibe rubbish,

Wow them figures are frightening, we have no option but to use the immersion water for at least 3hrs anyway, that's either to have a bath or a shower. If we had an electrical shower then the Nibe would be switched off now it's only the hot water that's keeping it alive, i have on so many occasions wanted to take the bigggggest hammer too it and absolutely belt it one. The thermostat on the wall outside that during the winter does what it wants to do was going to be destroyed weeks ago it was only my wife that stopped me from killing it.

The frustration levels in this house are unnecessary and it's all because of one thing just hope to prey it either blows up or it gets replaced by a proper boiler that does what it says on the tin.
  • Also guys, have a look at this. It is the Code 3 best practice document from the Energy Saving Trust.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/content/download/179101/420741/version/5/file/CE290

Check pages 11 to 14. It outlines the various heating scenarios with projected running costs. Suprisingingly, heat pump technology has one of the highest running costs (...well I never... shock horror). A Gas Boiler and PV Panel is lowest on the page! Oh why Persimmon did you not just put a solar panel on the roof and be done with it?!
  • ra200
    edited 13 January 2011 at 12:39PM
    Well here are the results so far from the energy monitor for 24 hours use the monitor is connected direct to the nibe the outdoor temp here yesterday was 11c and last night it was 9c outside and today it is 12c outside

24 hours use = £6.10 But take away 70p from that as that is what it cost to bring the nibe up to temp so we are looking at £5.40 this includes washing dishes once with hotwater from the nibe and running the bath once with 10cm depth of water for my 5 year old to have a bath

Also keep in mind that is now mild outside and these figures are calculated when it is mild outside so when it is cold outside my usage will go up from £5.40p aday to over £10.00p per day

30 x £5.40p = £162.00 per month
    12 x £162.00p = £1944.00 per year

So take in to account when the weather is cold and using a bit more water im sure we are looking about £230 per month no wonder over the last 11 months i have used over £1600 of electric and have another bill on the way

No wonder my electricity bill is so high and my nibe was off between may untill the end of september (almost 5 months) if i kept it on for hot water and used the heating my bill would be even high than it is now.

The costs i have posted is just the nibe with out using any electrical appliances

I can not afford to run this system i wil give it a few days then the thing is going to be swiched off at the mains,

This is a very silly system to put in social housing & shared ownership housing
  • Aceboyz
    denial2010 wrote: »
    Also guys, have a look at this. It is the Code 3 best practice document from the Energy Saving Trust.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/content/download/179101/420741/version/5/file/CE290

Check pages 11 to 14. It outlines the various heating scenarios with projected running costs. Suprisingingly, heat pump technology has one of the highest running costs (...well I never... shock horror). A Gas Boiler and PV Panel is lowest on the page! Oh why Persimmon did you not just put a solar panel on the roof and be done with it?!

Wonderful, i honestly can't thank you enough this might well be the information i was looking for to give to Orbit as proof that Gas Combi boiler with PV panel would have been so much better than this rubbish.
  • Aceboyz

This is a very silly system to put in social housing & shared ownership housing

Agreed mate, not really sure what to say anymore the stress and frustration levels in our house can't get any higher without me or my wife being admitted to the funny farm.

I feel so sorry for us all and for those thousands of people we don't even know about.

For the last 24hrs we have run no immersion at all and the temperature here has been 12 deg's at 8 this morning and 15 deg's most of today and we have still run 30 units so god only knows what it will be tomorrow as we have got to run the immersion tonight - will let you know tomorrow evening thou.

We have also been checking the hot water temp and yesterday morning it was 30 deg's but when running the tap nothing but cold water and yet this morning we got up and it was 56.7 deg's and absolutely burning water, DOES THIS SYSTEM KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING APART FROM EATING OUR ELECTRICITY.
  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2011 at 9:04PM
    Agreed mate, not really sure what to say anymore the stress and frustration levels in our house can't get any higher without me or my wife being admitted to the funny farm.

I feel so sorry for us all and for those thousands of people we don't even know about.

For the last 24hrs we have run no immersion at all and the temperature here has been 12 deg's at 8 this morning and 15 deg's most of today and we have still run 30 units so god only knows what it will be tomorrow as we have got to run the immersion tonight - will let you know tomorrow evening thou.

We have also been checking the hot water temp and yesterday morning it was 30 deg's but when running the tap nothing but cold water and yet this morning we got up and it was 56.7 deg's and absolutely burning water, DOES THIS SYSTEM KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING APART FROM EATING OUR ELECTRICITY.

Guys I was just wondering something. Temperatures have generally been quite high for today considering the time of year. It was 13 degrees at 6pm this evening. The unit had only used 8KWh all day (19KWh yesterday for those interested). Now 8KWh is brilliant considering the history and I imagine to final figure will be about 13KWh for the day (£1.30)! Just wondering if you have noticed a sizable reduction today?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills