Nibe Fighter 360p ashp costing me loads to run

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do also bear in mind that, although it still feeels cold outside, it is much milder now. I wouldn't want this to skew your results. My heat pumps are also performing much better now the cold spell has ended and my consumption has dropped by a third.
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2011 at 5:03PM
    I can not really use the set back times as the house is cold enough as it and this is with out using hot water is and if i did use them the underfloor heating would take ages to get back up to the right temp plus i have a 3 bed house which uses almost double the energy to heat then a 2 bed house a new build bed house needs 12.224kwh a year where a 3 bed needs 21.518kwh a year
    denial2010 wrote: »
    Just to update again on running costs.

I activated "set back times" to run over night. From 9pm to 5am on every day of the week. This was set to an offset of -2. Yesterday came in a 20.53KWh for the 24 hour period. So looks like even more efficiency! It has used 12KWh so far today (so looking promising for a similar figure).

20.53KWh x 7.68p + 29.86p = £1.88.

Once this all settles will try and increase efficiency furthur by putting a set back time during the day when I'm at work. This is getting closer to the figure I was getting when running the heatpump in spring/autumn mode where the emersion was blocked. Except this time its running in winter mode and the hot water is remaining constant at between 50 - 55 degrees and room temperatures at 19 degrees out of the setback period.
  • ra200
    edited 11 January 2011 at 2:28AM
    What heat pumps do you have and what is your power usage like.
    Swipe wrote: »
    Do also bear in mind that, although it still feeels cold outside, it is much milder now. I wouldn't want this to skew your results. My heat pumps are also performing much better now the cold spell has ended and my consumption has dropped by a third.
  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

That's a good point. However, even before when temperatures were like this (between 0 and 5 degrees), it was still eating the power (30+ KWh/day). So still certainly a marked improvement... However, still not as efficent as I'd like.
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ra200 wrote: »
    What heat pumps do you have and what is your power useage like.

I have two 3.5KW Daikin air to air split inverter units. In the last two (sub zero) winter months I've averaged around 120 - 140kWh per week but I'm at work all day during the weekdays. I also have a stove that supplements the units when it's really cold. This week, now it's gone milder I'm on track for around around 80kWh used (total electric inc immersion heater).
  • Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite
    denial2010 wrote: »
    Just to update again on running costs.

I activated "set back times" to run over night. From 9pm to 5am on every day of the week. This was set to an offset of -2. Yesterday came in a 20.53KWh for the 24 hour period. So looks like even more efficiency! It has used 12KWh so far today (so looking promising for a similar figure).

20.53KWh x 7.68p + 29.86p = £1.88.

Once this all settles will try and increase efficiency furthur by putting a set back time during the day when I'm at work. This is getting closer to the figure I was getting when running the heatpump in spring/autumn mode where the emersion was blocked. Except this time its running in winter mode and the hot water is remaining constant at between 50 - 55 degrees and room temperatures at 19 degrees out of the setback period.

Hi, we have been told by the Nibe engineer not to touch the setbacks as this would not make much difference, he couldn't however answer what was causing the system to use so much electricity.

The other concerning news we had over the weekend was that the 2nd phase flats that have also got the Nibe are also getting extremely high bills. On there system they have timers but again the system just seems to be eating it all day.

Thanks for letting us know your usage has gone down as we are still running 42 units per day even thou the outside temperature is warmer.
  • Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite

We honestly thought we would see a difference now the temperatures have risen but ours just keeps on rolling pretty fast with an average of about 42 units for a 24hr period.

We have been asking family just to keep an eye on their usage, i know they haven't got the Nibe system but it gives us an idea and on a 24hr period most family members are using 7 units. Double that and i would be happy but not 42 that's just way too high.
  • ra200
    edited 11 January 2011 at 2:30AM
    The same here it have been alot warmer outside today and even right now at this time it is 7c outside and the nibe is still eating electric,

Do you realize that even in autumn/spring mode so the immersion heater is block but the compressor and pumps and fan in the nibe use alot of electric,

Compressor 650w
    fan 170w
    circulation fan 100w
    =22.08 units of electricity a day

So if running 24hrs a day constant to try keep the water and house warm that is just over 22 units of electric a day so you can imagine how much you would use in winter mode with the immersion permitted which you need to keep the house and water hot,

Aceboyz wrote: »
    We honestly thought we would see a difference now the temperatures have risen but ours just keeps on rolling pretty fast with an average of about 42 units for a 24hr period.

We have been asking family just to keep an eye on their usage, i know they haven't got the Nibe system but it gives us an idea and on a 24hr period most family members are using 7 units. Double that and i would be happy but not 42 that's just way too high.
  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2011 at 6:53PM
    Aceboyz wrote: »
    Hi, we have been told by the Nibe engineer not to touch the setbacks as this would not make much difference, he couldn't however answer what was causing the system to use so much electricity.

The other concerning news we had over the weekend was that the 2nd phase flats that have also got the Nibe are also getting extremely high bills. On there system they have timers but again the system just seems to be eating it all day.

Thanks for letting us know your usage has gone down as we are still running 42 units per day even thou the outside temperature is warmer.

The saving is indeed marginal with setback times. But I am really just tweaking with it all now since the Nibe Engineer has been. I know thats not much help to you. Just checked the monitor just now. Used 15.20KWh since midnight for today. Which works out at 0.90KW per hour. So I think today it will be on track for the lowest ever reading on Winter mode. I don't know what else to suggust apart from make the changes the engineer made to my system? Have you attempted to lower the heating curve or adjust the trend calc? My flow temperature is typically about 30 degrees, so running extremely cool, but yet it can still keep up with demand.

I can assure you tho, that Nibe are concerned about the stream of reports of high running costs with this unit. As I say their head office are following this thread with interest. The problem is when the units are put in they are set to the default settings and every house is different. The engineer was saying there are two training courses for installers. The installer course and fault finding course. In my case, the cowboys that installed it had just done the former and from what I can gather spent most of the course asleep. So they can install it, but in terms of configuring it to optimise running costs... They don't have a clue!
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
  • ra200
    edited 11 January 2011 at 9:50PM
    Well guys had a engineer from nibe here today and a few people from melin homes (half their staff i think) the nibe engineer changed a sensor and some pcb boards but the system was set up right in the first place by greenhill so will see if the electricity usage now drops down but i can not see that happening,

The Nibe engineer could not give a answer to why the system is using so much power but basic maths tells me with just the compressor and fan and pump running we are looking at a min of around 22 units a day with no hot water and luke warm heating,

I still stand by what i have been told by other heating companies and people who have contacted me and that the nibe 360p is under size for our house and can not meet the home energy needs,

Also to add via another forum i have been contacted by a well known TV show about my problems with the nibe system so there is alot more people with problems with the nibe out there,

My electric bill has been all most £1600 so far for 11 month electricity and the system was off between may and the end of september (all most 5 months) and i have another bill on the way on the 21st of january and this is with not using hot water and the immersion heater off

Our housing association melin have been really helpfull today and and i hope they continue to be to get the matter solved with us,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure