Nibe Fighter 360p ashp costing me loads to run

1356767

Comments

  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Hope it goes well for you but things are worse for me as i live in a bigger 3 bed house also wait untill you run a hot bath and use the hot water up it costs alot to run a bath with the 360p.
    Keep us posted

    denial2010 wrote: »
    Hot water and rooms are all up to temperature and the heat pump is on that dreaded winter mode! Its used 17KWh so far today (guy was around about 10-11ish making the changes). I estimate its used about 10KWh since then. But imagine a lot of that went into getting the Hot Water back up to temperature (it was 30 degrees). So maybe looking at 20KWh usage a day? But tomorrow will be the ultimate test! Don't want to jinx it all... But its looking promising!
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 8:20AM
    Hello there Melin homes:).

    Yes a member of Melin Staff did kindly return my call yesterday 5/1/10 but i missed the call but the gentleman did leave a voice mail saying that he tried to contact me and they he has contacted engineers but did not ask me to call him back,

    I think that Melin homes should have told residents that they had not field tested the units and that issues could arrise include high fuel costs that will cost the tenants hundreds of pounds and that even though natural mains gas is and was available in the property even before melin installed the air source heat pumps Melin installed a heat pump that is to small to cope with the households heating and hot water needs with out the use of the 7.2kw immersion heater build in running almost constant and even though a mains gas boiler is much cheaper to run than a fully functioning air source heat pump running at 300% efficiency and that the energy savings trust does not recommend air source heat pumps where gas is available Melin still installed a air source heat pump,

    Yes i hope a engineer will call soon but i know Rob the electrician from Greenhill construction set the system up right but what will happen when they come to check the system and it is all ok as i feel it is all set up right but still eating units of electricity also keep in mind when i said the system can use up to 85 units of electric a day that is with out using hot water if you run one hot bath a day your looking at 130 units of electric a day:eek: what will Melin homes do then?,

    That is why we never use the hot water even to wash dishes let alone use it to run a bath we us the kettle on the gas hob for hot water and use the mira electric show in the downstairs shower room,

    I have spoken to neighbours and to people on forums like this one and every one is saying the same as me the nibe 360p cost a fortune to run and is not cost effective,

    This is because the 360p has a small air pump so does not perform well it might be alright to keep underfloor heating warm in a small apartment but no way is the nibe 360p good enough to heat a 3 bed house with out the aid of the built in immersion heater which is what is using high amount of electricity as the immersion heater is always kicking in to keep the hot water at 55c 24/7 so the costs do not stop with this system,

    My mother if fortunate enough to have bought her own new 4 bedroom house built by Barrets in cwmbran and she has a gas boilers and her gas bill for heating and hot water are less than a quarter of my energy costs and my neighbours who also have nibe 360p systems,

    As our new Melin homes 3 bed house is built well and insulated well by greenhill construction i can keep it just as warm if not wamer for far far less by puting one electric plug in heater in the living room on 500w mode and setting the themostat on it to 21c this then cost about 60p for 12 house use per heater then putting another one upstairs on the landing so that is £1.20p for 12 hours use this is far less than £13.00p a day with out using hot water and one bath or £20.00 a day if you use hot water and run one bath,

    Melin would have been better of putting a gas boiler in or convector heaters or night storage heaters on the wall in each room and the installation costs would have been lower for melin homes and the running costs would have been cheaper for the tenants,

    I will call Melin on the number you have posted below tomorrow,

    melinhomes wrote: »
    Melin Homes is disappointed to hear of the issues you have with your heating system and the response you feel you have received to date. We can assure you that we are not ignoring you or the issues with the heating system. To this end, and following your email to our enquiries email address, a member of staff has attempted to contact you and we have also contacted engineers in order to carry out a full check of your system. As a responsible landlord we are keen to address any issues our residents may have, particularly when they relate to the costs of heating and utilities. We are fitting a wide range of energy efficiency measures to our properties and, as with all ‘new’ technologies there will be issues that arise. We are keen to resolve those issues in partnership with our residents and contractors. Please make contact with us as soon as possible to arrange your visit on 08453 101102 and ask for the development team or email [EMAIL="development@melinhomes.co.uk"]development@melinhomes.co.uk[/EMAIL]
    thank you

  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2011 at 6:02PM
    Our favourite heat pump we have all learnt to love has used 17KWh so far today 17 hours (since midnight). So thats easy maths... 24KWh for the day. Now that is certainly better that the 40KWh+ it was using. House is remaining at 19 degrees and 55 degrees for hot water. I will run it for a few days to get a good idea of usage, then set "Set Back Times" overnight and during the day, to see if it can be reduced furthur. I think overall its looking at about £60 for the month... Which isn't too outragous. Acerboyz didn't Nibe coming out to see you today... How did you get on?
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
  • Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite
    denial2010 wrote: »

    The recommended heat curve is 13 with an offset of -2 for radiators. However, as my house is extremely well insulated it was heating the house too hot under the winter setting. Therefore, immersion was being used more than needed. So this has been changed to 5 with no offset. However, this may need increasing if the house gets too cold. Thermostat is set to 19 degrees.

    Will keep you all updated on the running costs over the next few days.

    Hi Mate thanks for letting us know your feedback from your Nibe engineer.

    We had the Nibe engineer at our house this morning as well as Orbit, Aspects (Building Contractors) and the people who set them up in the first place, not willing to advertise their company name.

    Basically our system is working fine, the air flow is correct etc. However the engineer we had did say that the system needed to stay on curve 13 and the thermostat on the wall needed to stay above 3. If the thermostat on the wall inside is set to 3 (14 deg's) the Nibe system will kick the immersion on to heat the house up as it will not allow the room temperature to fall below 16 Deg's. We have been advised to set it to at least 4 (17 Deg's), we have however moved it to 5 (20 Deg's) to be safe, the more we keep the immersion off the better. During the summer when the unit is in Summer mode the ambient temperature will be above 16 Deg's so there won't be any problems there.

    We have continued to take daily readings and they are up and down like a yo yo see below for figures.

    Monday Day Reading = 35 Night = 6

    Tuesday Day Reading = 23 Night = 8
    No washing machine or dryer running

    Wednesday Day Reading = 35 Night = 7
    Kids went back to school and washing machine running during the night.

    Thursday Day Reading = 43 Night = 7
    Due to my Dad going in for surgery as he has got terminal cancer we were only in the house for an hour and during the night we had the tumble dryer on.

    As you can see none of the above really works out properly, well to me it doesn't.

    The common thing that people are saying at the moment, which is beginning to annoy me slightly is the fact we have just gone through a harsh winter, which yes i do agree with but last year we were in a much bigger house with a run down gas boiler and the temperatures were cold as well as having snow on the ground and not once to our gas price go up.

    On our part Orbit Housing Association are taking the matter extremely serious and are dealing with it, however if nothing comes of that we have our solicitors in place. You see when we moved in we were given a folder and basically it tells us per year we should only be paying £500 on lightening, heating and hot water, we have nearly paid this in 8 weeks, this house should be a low cost house, which it clearly isn't at the moment.
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 6:27PM
    That is good i have got ours down in the past in the spring and autum time when it is about 15c outside to 25 unit aday £112 per months but that is with out using any hot water at all ,

    I telephoned swalec today and for 11 month usage the cost has been £1600 to date and estimated a cost of £1800 for the full 12 month use and swalec worked out for us if we did use hot water and run a just one bath a day the system would cost us around £2200-£2400 for 1 years use,

    It also does not help that the wrong type of meter was installed in the house we have a economy 7 meter which is really for use with night storage heaters so swalec are coming out to change the meter to a standard type so we can go on to the the swalec tariff called go direct 5,


    denial2010 wrote: »
    Our favourite heat pump we have all learnt to love has used 17KWh so far today 17 hours (since midnight). So thats easy maths... 24KWh for the day. Now that is certainly better that the 40KWh+ it was using. House is remaining at 19 degrees and 55 degrees for hot water. I will run it for a few days to get a good idea of usage, then set "Set Back Times" overnight and during the day, to see if it can be reduced furthur. I think overall its looking at about £60 for the month... Which isn't too outragous. Acerboyz didn't Nibe coming out to see you today... How did you get on?
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    I know how you feel last year it was just as cold as it is now and we were in a old council house with no insulation just plaster board and a wood over felt roof draughty windows draughty doors very old gas back boiler and the bath was run a few times a day and the cost where nothing like they are with this nibe system,

    But fair play Melin homes have been helpful so far and are sending a engineer from nibe here tuesday morning,
    Aceboyz wrote: »
    Hi Mate thanks for letting us know your feedback from your Nibe engineer.

    We had the Nibe engineer at our house this morning as well as Orbit, Aspects (Building Contractors) and the people who set them up in the first place, not willing to advertise their company name.

    Basically our system is working fine, the air flow is correct etc. However the engineer we had did say that the system needed to stay on curve 13 and the thermostat on the wall needed to stay above 3. If the thermostat on the wall inside is set to 3 (14 deg's) the Nibe system will kick the immersion on to heat the house up as it will not allow the room temperature to fall below 16 Deg's. We have been advised to set it to at least 4 (17 Deg's), we have however moved it to 5 (20 Deg's) to be safe, the more we keep the immersion off the better. During the summer when the unit is in Summer mode the ambient temperature will be above 16 Deg's so there won't be any problems there.

    We have continued to take daily readings and they are up and down like a yo yo see below for figures.

    Monday Day Reading = 35 Night = 6

    Tuesday Day Reading = 23 Night = 8
    No washing machine or dryer running

    Wednesday Day Reading = 35 Night = 7
    Kids went back to school and washing machine running during the night.

    Thursday Day Reading = 43 Night = 7
    Due to my Dad going in for surgery as he has got terminal cancer we were only in the house for an hour and during the night we had the tumble dryer on.

    As you can see none of the above really works out properly, well to me it doesn't.

    The common thing that people are saying at the moment, which is beginning to annoy me slightly is the fact we have just gone through a harsh winter, which yes i do agree with but last year we were in a much bigger house with a run down gas boiler and the temperatures were cold as well as having snow on the ground and not once to our gas price go up.

    On our part Orbit Housing Association are taking the matter extremely serious and are dealing with it, however if nothing comes of that we have our solicitors in place. You see when we moved in we were given a folder and basically it tells us per year we should only be paying £500 on lightening, heating and hot water, we have nearly paid this in 8 weeks, this house should be a low cost house, which it clearly isn't at the moment.
  • Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite
    ra200 wrote: »
    That is good i have got ours down in the past in the spring and autum time when it is about 15c outside to 25 unit aday £112 per months but that is with out using any hot water at all ,

    I telephoned swalec today and for 11 month usage the cost has been £1600 to date and estimated a cost of £1800 for the full 12 month use and swalec worked out for us if we did use hot water and run a just one bath a day the system would cost us around £2200-£2400 for 1 years use,

    It also does not help that the wrong type of meter was installed in the house we have a economy 7 meter which is really for use with night storage heaters so swalec are coming out to change the meter to a standard type so we can go on to the the swalec tariff called go direct 5,

    Hi, we were on Economy 7 but EON have changed ours to a standard rate without changing the meter not sure if this is right or not.

    The other thing the Nibe engineer did say this morning was that if you did have the water set to 24hr the immersion would only come on when the tap was being used and then switch off again as soon as the tap was turned off, our daily reads were 60 to 65 but we noticed the biggest difference was getting off the Winter mode.

    Taking our lowest reading of this week, which was 23 units for day and 6 units at night = £2.95 per 24hrs, which over a month = £91.45 this is using our tariffs found on the bill, if we took the highest which is 43 units for day and 7 at night this is £5.40 per 24hrs and £167.40 for a month.

    So far we have had a bill for £178 and we know we are getting a bill in the next couple of days for at least £190 - £200, we can not afford this.
  • Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite
    ra200 wrote: »
    I know how you feel last year it was just as cold as it is now and we were in a old council house with no insulation just plaster board and a wood over felt roof draughty windows draughty doors very old gas back boiler and the bath was run a few times a day and the cost where nothing like they are with this nibe system,

    But fair play Melin homes have been helpful so far and are sending a engineer from nibe here tuesday morning,

    Yeah we feel the same for Orbit they really are trying to get this sorted and i think they feel they have been misguided as they themselves told us the houses were low cost.

    We spoke to the guy who provided the energy certificate with the costs on and he basically said these houses were not built for low cost but for low energy i.e. carbon footprint. We then spoke to the Energy Saving Trust and they admitted that if prices had been put on the certificate give or take £10-£20 then they should be correct but we have nearly paid the yearly figures in 8 weeks so somewhere somebody is liable for this mistake.
  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aceboyz wrote: »
    Yeah we feel the same for Orbit they really are trying to get this sorted

    So are Nibe! Engineer just checked in with us to see if everything is okay. Turns out this thread was mentioned... Nibe head office are following it with intrigue!
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2011 at 9:24PM
    On another note just been researching into the RHI Tariffs (Renewable Heat Incentive) which goes live in June - http://www.rhincentive.co.uk/eligible/.

    Seems the unit and installer both need to be certified by the MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) to qualify. From what I can see the Nibe 360P has already been certified - http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/mcs-consumer/product-profile.php?ID=33592

    However, the COWBOYS who installed my unit aren't. Which I guess means I can't claim?
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards