We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

VERY Cheap glasses and specs - made to order.

Options

Comments

• mjmal51
    Options
    To keren29
    Wouldn't worry too much about the negs posted recently. I used them a few months ago and was well impressed. Decided to use them after reading many positive reviews on this site. Win some lose some!
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just to second mjmal51's posting I also used Optical4less after recommendations on this site. Even asked them to set up a discount code for MSErs which can be found in the vouchers and discount section.

I found them responsive to emails, and the 2 pairs of glasses I ordered arrived quickly and exactly as ordered. However you never find the true worth of a company until you encounter problems and can't get them resolved.

Sadly the rimless glasses got flicked off my face by my daughter this weekend (never put a bored under 2 year old on your shoulders), which resulted in a chip on the edge of the lens.

I do wonder if glasses manufactured overseas are made to the same standard as uk glasses however CR39 is a brittle material that will chip if dropped from height on to concrete regardless of whether is was produced in Hongkong or UK! I might give goggles4u a punt if I can find some frames I like.

I would suggest that anyone who orders overseas to save money needs to be aware that they may not be fully covered by UK trading laws, and may lose some of the rights they have grown used to. Never spend more money on them than you can afford to lose!

Sorry about the waffle only to say don't worry keren29 100's of moneysavers have ordered from Opticals4less and I've only read a handful of bad reports.

HTH - Rufus.
  • purplepatch
    Options
    yoghurt wrote:
    Out of interest were your lenses glass or plastic? Does anyone know if their is much difference?
    I ordered rimless plastic glassses from goggles4u last night and did not consider the thickness issue-my prescription is around -5.25

many thanks

-5.25 is about the same as my prescription - my goggles4u lenses weren't too thick, I got the plastic ones. You can probably get thinner if you're prepared to pay, but I'm happy enough with my pair for £14.
  • Happyroly
    Options
    yoghurt wrote:
    Out of interest were your lenses glass or plastic? Does anyone know if their is much difference?
    I ordered rimless plastic glassses from goggles4u last night and did not consider the thickness issue-my prescription is around -5.25

many thanks

Yoghurt, can you post back when your glasses arrive? My prescription is same as yours and I have been looking at goggles4u's rimless plastic. Would be interested to know what you think.

Happyroly
  • DRiz
    DRiz Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Just recieved the frameless glasses....

Not as stylish as it looks in picture when i first set eyes on em, not sure i'd wear them out either, but for under £15 its still brilliant.

Im 23 so i thought they looked stylish - now i got them it looks like somthing my grandpa would wear..

Try to have in mind that they will just be a spare pair for the home to watch Tv and stuff and not really to wear out and about and you wont be dissapointed at all
  • purplepatch
    Options
    DRiz wrote:
    Just recieved the frameless glasses....

Not as stylish as it looks in picture when i first set eyes on em, not sure i'd wear them out either, but for under £15 its still brilliant.

Im 23 so i thought they looked stylish - now i got them it looks like somthing my grandpa would wear..

Try to have in mind that they will just be a spare pair for the home to watch Tv and stuff and not really to wear out and about and you wont be dissapointed at all

My DH ordered the Boss rimless ones, and he's pretty pleased with them. He's not exactly grandpa material yet!

One thing I'd say is that they come in various sizes, so pay attention to the depth of the lenses. He went for the narrowest ones heightwise which look pretty cool on him.

Also, go try some on in an opticians first and check out the dimensions of the lenses that suit you best (they are often on the arm of the glasses shown in mm) and then try to match up the size with the dimensions given on goggles4u.

I wouldn't say that the glasses on goggles4u are only the sort that you couldn't wear out of the house, especially if you do your research first.
  • yoghurt
    Options
    Happyroly wrote:
    Yoghurt, can you post back when your glasses arrive? My prescription is same as yours and I have been looking at goggles4u's rimless plastic. Would be interested to know what you think.

Happyroly

No problem
  • trickster
    Options
    Just had my eyes tested at D&A. Asked at the end if he could measure my pupil distance. He said yes and gave a 'knowing grin' and did it with no quibbles.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    Options
    if you go for the clip-on sunglasses do you get the prescription glasses and the clip on sunglass part for $12 ?
    or am i reading it wrong
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • Neoshoegal
    Options
    to however first posted about goggles4u: THANK YOU! I received my glasses today, a week after ordering them (didn't even pay for fast delivery).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport