Lifestyle Claims

Options

Comments

• megan39
    Options
    Further to this...I have found this for you on the terms and conditions for Lifestyle Claims

Information about cancellations and refunds

You have a 14 day “cooling off” period from the date your payment is taken or the signing of any contractual agreement which
    we provide to you whichever is the later (please note in most circumstances we will not ask you to sign any contractual
    agreement as your contract was formed verbally when you made payment). You may cancel the contract and we will refund any
    administration fees paid by you in full, up to 30 days of us receiving your returned client welcome pack.

After the 14 day period, if you cancel the contract with us, you will not be entitled to the refund of any administration fees paid
    to us unless the work which we have undertaken up to the point of cancellation is less than the value of the administration fee
    (there are only a small number of circumstances where this will apply).

You may cancel the contract between you and us by writing or emailing us, using the following contact details:
    By Post
    : Cancellations Dept, Lifestyle Claims, Princess House, Princess Way, Swansea, SA1 3LW.
    By Email
    : [EMAIL="cancellations@lifestyleclaims.net"]cancellations@lifestyleclaims.net[/EMAIL]

The administration fee is fully refundable if all of your potential claims prove unsuccessful.
    At all times you have the right to seek advice from alternative sources

Thank you so much for this. I am going to email them now, so that I have on record that I am cancelling from todays date, as they say that they don't need a signature to start the contract it is from the date of payment!! Hopefully with this and my phone call to the credit card company I can get the payment stopped.
  • megan39
    Options
    Sorry, mean't to copy your part of the reply in a quote but still new to this!
  • src007
    src007 Posts: 420 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2011 at 10:34AM
    Options
    I work for a CMC and I’m not going to pretend we are anything other than a business (every business is there to make money and if you’re against that you’re against capitalism). However we try at all times to work in the best interest of our clients.

We don’t cold call, we don’t charge upfront fees, don’t charge on future savings, don’t charge minimum fee (we take on complaints of any value) or cancellation fees, we charge 20% + VAT (less than the vast majority) warn customers who are behind with payments that the full refund will go off arrears (and our bill is separate) BEFORE the complaint is started. Offer them free payments plans if want to continue. We still easily have enough money to pay our staff and cover our costs.

Why these companies charge so much is beyond me? If we can run without doing any of those things why can’t the others? What’s worse, is like the banks they hide the fees in the small print and don’t explain the costs. From what I’ve read on this forum, instead they lie outrageously to sign people up.

Half the companies out there should be on watchdog (yes I have looked at this week’s tv listings!).:rotfl:

Here’s a question for smiler:Dxx. Do you think you’ll be on next week’s show? :rotfl:

It’s horrible having my integrity questioned all the time (even amongst friends now) however I can’t blame people for this because of the way most of the industry operates (smiler:Dxx being a clear example).

I’ve personally got around 15-20 FOS adjudications changed by writing back when I think the FOS have got it wrong.

A couple of years ago most of the major banks would make low offers on mass to get consumers to settle for less. I got many, many consumers an increased amount by warning them that the bank weren’t offering enough and then going to FOS (thankfully most organisations have stopped doing this now).

I understand that people will still argue, why pay for something you can do for free? Why buy a starbucks when you can make a flask of coffee for 10p? I’m certainly not against encouraging people to complain themselves however there are always going to be a percentage or people who are too hesitant, don’t know their rights, simply don’t want the hassle or know what to write. Some old people still have an ‘old school’ view of the banks and wouldn’t dream of complaining. For some foreign people English is a second language and they would really struggle.

In a free country those people have the right to pay someone to make a complaint. But it shocks me what other CMCs do. Why the Ministry Of Justice have let all this go on for so long I don’t understand and maybe the way forward is to encourage complaints against CMC’s when they’re justified.

Single-premium PPI was stopped because the banks received so many complaints they finally had to take notice. Maybe claims companies need to be complained about directly and to the MOJ wherever possible to get them to change?

I would understand if you don’t want to but, megan39 when you call up the company to cancel maybe you should record the conversation? If they say anything wrong you can send the recording to the Ministry of Justice.

Even if you don’t want to do this, you could tell them you’re recording them and that you’ll be sending the recording onto the MOJ (they have the power to shut claims companies down). I bet you’ll get a full refund of the upfront fee shorty!
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 September 2011 at 11:27AM
    Options
    megan39 wrote: »
    :(:mad:I feel so sick! I had a call from these people today and I stupidly handed over my credit card details! I can't believe I have been so stupid

Credit Card is good - it makes the credit card provider jointly and severally liable with Lifestyle Claims.

kelly993 wrote: »
    You have a 14 day “cooling off” period from the date your payment is taken or the signing of any contractual agreement which
    we provide to you whichever is the later (please note in most circumstances we will not ask you to sign any contractual
    agreement as your contract was formed verbally when you made payment).

In other words, the cooling off period cannot end until 14 days after you sign the contract which you will never do.

That would seem to allow you to cancel the agreement even AFTER the the redress has been received

You may cancel the contract between you and us by writing or emailing us, using the following contact details:
    By Post
    : Cancellations Dept, Lifestyle Claims, Princess House, Princess Way, Swansea, SA1 3LW.
    By Email
    : [EMAIL="cancellations@lifestyleclaims.net"]cancellations@lifestyleclaims.net[[/EMAIL]
    I would recommend you e-mail them today to cancel (keep a copy) and confirm it by letter. Get proof of posting (free from the Post Office) and keep a copy of the letter as well.

Do NOT use recorded delivery. It is an extra expense and if it does not get recorded it is likely to be used as evidence of non-receipt. By contrast, proof of posting alone will be deemed to amount to receipt 2 days later.

It is possible that they will not refund. If so, you can report the matter to your credit card provider who must then reimburse you. Do it quickly because they can then use "chargeback" and they will not be out of pocket. Even if they have missold PPI to you this is not their fault. The alternative is that the reimburse you using your rights under the Consumer Credit Act but then the bank must pay.

To do this, you are likely to need hard evidence to show the card provider and, if necessary, the Financial Ombudsman Service (you would take the provider, not the CMC to FOS). That is the primary reason for doing it it writing.

However, it also means they cannot try to persuade you to continue attempt to distort what you say.

I see smiler:Dxx does not seem to have responded to this or my generous offer. I do hope it has not been caused by family problems!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s horrible having my integrity questioned all the time (even amongst friends now) however I can’t blame people for this because of the way most of the industry operates (smilerxx being a clear example).

I do feel sorry for src007 as his posts here do indicate an integrity that is sadly lacking with the majority of claims companies.

Hopefully, when PPI issue is over, the cowboys and fly-by-night chancers in it for a quick buck will look for other ways to rip people off in other areas and maybe that will leave those that remain to build a better reputation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • megan39
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I emailed them yesterday and informed them that I had contacted the credit card company and that I would send a copy of the email to the card company too, to let them know as per their t&c I was cancelling any agreement. I will send this by post too, just to cover all areas!

Am I right in thinking, that as I have cancelled straight away, that I should get the money refunded by them and if not, there shouldn't be a problem getting the money back from the credit card company?

I will let you know how I get on, I am just disgusted that these people can do this! I would love the MOJ to listen to the telephone conversation I had with them! I never fall for anything like this and I still don't know how they got me on this! It makes you feel horrible.
  • megan39
    Options
    I emailed Lifestyle Claims on Friday to cancel any agreement, I have received this message back, saying it couldn't be sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny that!

Technical details of temporary failure:
    The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. (1): Connection refused]
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    megan39 wrote: »
    I emailed Lifestyle Claims on Friday to cancel any agreement, I have received this message back, saying it couldn't be sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny that!

Technical details of temporary failure:
    The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. (1): Connection refused]

Snail mail it to:

CLIENT CONNECTION LIMITED
    PRINCESS HOUSE
    PRINCESS WAY
    SWANSEA
    SA1 1SD This is the registered office to which notification may always be delivered. The address on the website might not be correct.

(The website is also in breach of the Companies Act because it should include both the Companies House Registration number AND the office - I got the correct address from Companies House).

Get proof of purchase (free from the Post Office). Do NOT use recorded delivery because Royal Mail does not always bother to get a signature and that would constitute evidence of non-receipt whereas a court (or the Financial Ombudsman Service) would deem a first class letter to have been received two working days later (e.g. post on a Monday, delivered on the Wednesday, post on a Friday, delivered on the Tuesday assuming no Bank holidays).
  • stevewill6
    Options
    I have just been contacted by this company and stupidly given my credit card details over.

i have contacted my credit card company and been told they cant do anything till the 16th of this month. I dont quite understand that.

I have emailed Lifestyle stating that i want to cancel the claim and i am in the process of writing a letter to send with proof of postage.

This has happened to me before (phone insurance) and i lost £60 from my bank account. Lucky i paid with credit card this time but im still concerned i will lose the £300 odd.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    What's happened to you Smiler:DXX? Cat got your mouse?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure