Lifestyle Claims

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    he again reassured me that it was a government backed scheme - so I will pass this on.

Which it isnt. The Govt backs no such company. So, well down for having your wits about you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jooboo
    jooboo Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I had a call from 'Thomas Wyn' who also assured me Lifestyle Claims is a goverment backed scheme he even gave me a registered number CRM16588 and said I could check them out online.

He did sound believable, however, I said if I was interested I would call them back as I do not know anything about them. Thomas did not like this and reminded me I could get about £10,000 back and that one lady today got £99,000 back from overpament on interest on her mortgage wow!!! I assured them I did not do business with someone over the phone when I know nothing about them so he gave me their customer service number 08446699333 to call them back, but I must quote his name. Obviously my first port of call was to check MSE and I am glad I did. Thank you.
  • fredchopin
    Options
    Pipersmum wrote: »
    Thank you. You have confirmed my gut feeling. I had supervisor phone me today to ask why payment had not gone through. When I told him I didn't want to go ahead he again reassured me that it was a government backed scheme - so I will pass this on.

Thanks again for your advice.

In reply to Pipersmum, your conditions are somewhat similar to mine in having a large number of credit cards.

I have not taken out any PPI over 30 years in having credit cards and on challenging the ..." average of £1,800 per card " I was still advised that my claim would be successful.... I had nothing to lose as my money would be refunded... great success rate etc.

Mr Stansfield (the cold caller) then wanted me to sign up for 2 x £359 as an admin fee- a clear device to try to trap me for an advance fee. He was surprised I did not cooperate and sent me so called pre contractual information and MOJ "references" as I was on the phone to calm my fears. The pre contractual information was badly presented and typed so my suspicions were heightened. I asked for their VAT number to check further and I have not heard (nor do I expect to).

They may well be a legitimate company but tactics, presentation and style leads me to think you should avoid them. I also heard sounds of an office in the background on the call -I suspect this may be a tape recording and I had visions of the individual sitting at his kitchen table with the recording turned up.

You have my sympathies to have been called by these people but my congratulations for doubting them.

Regards
    Fred
  • src007
    src007 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    smiler:Dxx wrote: »
    im just stating what we are cause people tend to judge by this. if you look on other forums i am just stating that my family have claimed through the company. ppeople tend to only think to use forums for complaints and never for compliments. p.s i no longer work there and what kind of ex employee would stick up for a company they got laid off from ? and i am not defending the comapny im defneding my self as an ex employee who used to work there. my concious is clear from working there.

I just had a look at your terms and conditions.

18 The Company shall apply a Service Charge of 30% + VAT of any and all Compensation received by the Client. This fee is in addition to the administration charge and shall be payable upon the conclusion of the Client’s Claim and may also be payable in other circumstances as set out at paragraph 19 below.

13 'Compensation' means the total monies and the full value of Benefits offered by the Third Party and arising from any claim made by the
    Company or its agent on behalf of the Client for a claim in respect of mis-sold PPI Claim, Unfair Charges Claim or Mortgage PPI Claim.

12 'Benefit' means all non-monetary benefits in whatever form including without limitation all benefits that will arise from any waiver,
    cancellation, reduction, saving, deduction or rescheduling of any out-standing or future repayments, premiums, charges or other interest or administrative payments (or any offsetting or relief against the same) or any other saving, inducement, discount or rebate offered in
    relation to any other credit or financial products or services offered by a Third Party or persons con-nected to the Third Party.

So you charge 36% of all the benefits of the claim including future benefits. This could amount to a HUGE fee.

At what point were you going to mention that you can claim back PPI yourself for free?

You have also lied by saying the banks hardly respond to clients themselves. You must know that they HAVE to respond to clients themselves.
  • DaveJH
    DaveJH Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    The reason for our service is because the banks hardly respond to the clients them selves so we do it for them. its alot cheaper than hiring a solicitor who works £200ph(aprox)

That's an interesting quote, you obviously don't know about the FOS form that was produced and that has been published on this site. I used it and got a full refund, all it took 5 mins to fill in and then the cost of a stamp.

So to say that banks hardly respond to their clients is incorrect and I'm sure that the number of people on here that have recieved refunds without using this type of service would also testify.

Why would anyone want to use a paid for service for something that you can do yourself.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    13 'Compensation' means the total monies and the full value of Benefits offered by the Third Party and arising from any claim made by the
    Company or its agent on behalf of the Client for a claim in respect of mis-sold PPI Claim, Unfair Charges Claim or Mortgage PPI Claim.

12 'Benefit' means all non-monetary benefits in whatever form including without limitation all benefits that will arise from any waiver,
    cancellation, reduction, saving, deduction or rescheduling of any out-standing or future repayments, premiums, charges or other interest or administrative payments (or any offsetting or relief against the same) or any other saving, inducement, discount or rebate offered in
    relation to any other credit or financial products or services offered by a Third Party or persons con-nected to the Third Party.

OMG, that is a disgraceful amount of money. That means they are not just taking 30% plus VAT on the redress payment but also against any future premiums. that would have been paid. So, lets say the mortgage PPI was £40pm and there were 20 years to go, that would be £9600 @ 30% = £2880 plus VAT = £3456. That is against money that hasnt even been charged to the consumer.

So, if they had paid 5 years and were getting 5 years worth back, that would be £2400 redress. However, they would have to pay the claims company £824 against that and £3456 against future money.

So, bottom line is that they get £2400 redress but have to pay £4320 to the claims company.

Is it any wonder why people do not like claims companies.

Personally, my dislike is that I have seen the types of complaints many claims companies make. They use the same template letters from the web and include a whole bunch of reasons that clearly do not apply. Around 1/3rd of PPI complaints currently being received by my compliance company dont even have PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 September 2011 at 1:41PM
    Options
    i work at lifestyle claims.

We call that "scope for improvement".
    we are not a scam. we are a company regualted by the ministry of justice.
    So why to you claim that PPI is a scam? All the companies that sold it are regulated by the Financial Services Authority
    we never tell you the exact amount of refunds that you may be eligible for cause we cannot be sure until the full 12 weeks it takes to vet your agreements.
    What? Even the most complex complaint I have ever dealt with involving a completely messed up trust arrangement only took me a week and a half to get to the bottom of and sort out.
    you do get refunded the full £359.98/£719.96 as we are covered by the money back guarantee
    The guarantee can only be provided if you place if money paid to you is placed in a ringfenced client account, subject to a trust arrangement. If it is not and you are unable to pay then your clients lose not only their advance fee but, since it has to be paid to them, ALL their redress.

For that reason, I recommend that my clients NEVER pay redress to an ambulance chaser unless they are sure it will be protected.
    The reason for our service is because the banks hardly respond to the clients them selves so we do it for them
    What evidence do you have for that? Even on this forum, whilst many have said the response is unsatisfactory no response at all is very much the exception rather than the rule.
    its alot cheaper than hiring a solicitor who works £200ph(aprox)
    But a lot more expensive than simply complaining yourself.
    while our legal team look over each claim for at least 3 hours E.g 4 credit card claims = 12 hours of work. so imagine paying a solictor to do this!!
    A solicitor is not going to take 12 hours because his or her reading ability has progressed beyond Oxford Learning Tree!

also we do not just do ppi we claim on up to 32 errors and other hidden costs which are commonly found in financial agreements.
    So you are going on a fishing expedition and inventing complaints which are complete garbage. Nevertheless, the firm has to spend a great deal of time (and thus money) telling you so. That cost then gets passed on to all its customers, including me. I resent the fact that I have to indirectly pay for your lies.
    unlinke other no win no fees your claims have priority as no win no fee company's often put the bigger claims first and often dont take on small claims.
    Again I challenge you to provide evidence of that.
    If we were a scam our license with the ministry of justice ( valid since 2008) which is a department of the government would have been revoked.
    I am a Cub Scout leader. I have had a CRB check done on me. It doesn't prove I won't commit an offence. It doesn't even prove I haven't. All it proves is that, at the time it was done I hadn't been caught.

As we are strictly regulated.
    You have absolutely no idea what "Strictly Regulated" means.
    All our calls are recorded for quality control purposes.
    I'll tell you what. I am a compliance consultant. Would you like to give me the recording of the call to Pipersmum (with her permission of course) and I will listen to it. I will then be able to give an opinion, on here, as to whether your firm was clear, fair and not misleading - or not.

You will get the benefit of my expertise for no charge!
    We are not allowed to leave you financially worse off or our licence would be revoked.
    Your [STRIKE]victims[/STRIKE] - sorry, clients - are immediately worse off because you have taken their money up front and, for the reasons I have outlined above, it is NOT guaranteed.

SRC007 is one of your competitors. He has pointed out that the size of your fee can be huge.

Recently I teased him a little on another thread that if the redress is not entirely in cash his fee could actually leave his client worse off and if he didn't make that crystal clear up front then the client would not be in a position to make an informed decision as to whether to buy his services and that would amount to misselling. He responded by saying his firm has checks in place to make sure that does not happen.

Much as I dislike what his firm does, clearly that is fair. You do not do that. You hide it in the small print and mislead your clients in exactly the manner that you accuse the banks of. The only type of consumer who would realise this would be one who was savvy enough not to have been missold to in the first place.
    We are on the customer's side
    Rubbish, you need to read Martin's excellent Teen Cash Class. Lesson 1 - "A company's job is to make money; it is NOT there to help you, it is NOT your friend."

That applies to me, DunstonH, and SRC007 as well but we are not going to pretend otherwise. We simply want to work in a way that is mutually beneficial. I would argue that it is a waste of money using SRC007 but if his clients make an informed decision they are entitled to spend their money that way.
    my gran and my aunty have claimed through lifestyle claims and they were successful. my gran got back £4,000 from one claim and my aunty had 10 different financial agreements and got back 18,000.
    But you work in the industry. You know, or ought to know, that you could have done it for NOTHING.

Instead you cost your gran £395 + £4,000 × 30% × 120% = £1,835
    and you cost your aunty

£395 × 10 + £18,000 × 30% × 120% = £10,430.

SRC007 is right - it is HUGE.

I have to say this is the most literal example of selling your own grandmother that I have ever come across!
  • megan39
    Options
    :(:mad:I feel so sick! I had a call from these people today and I stupidly handed over my credit card details! I can't believe I have been so stupid, I never fall for anything like this but they were so convincing!

I can't tell my partner as I am so embarassed! I phoned the credit card company up and they have said they can't stop the payment and I have to talk to the company first. It is so frustrating as everywhere is now closed until Monday! The credit card dispute department and the company!

I have paid £359. I told them I didn't want to pay anything over the phone without having anything in writing and I was put through to a supervisor and told tolook on the internet so I could see they were part of this goverment regulation thing. He kept saying could get the money back at any time!

As soon as I put the phone down, I looked on the internet and got this thread up. I don't have this sort of money, so can't afford to loose it. Feeling very angry and very sad
  • kelly993
    Options
    megan39 wrote: »
    :(:mad:I feel so sick! I had a call from these people today and I stupidly handed over my credit card details! I can't believe I have been so stupid, I never fall for anything like this but they were so convincing!

I can't tell my partner as I am so embarassed! I phoned the credit card company up and they have said they can't stop the payment and I have to talk to the company first. It is so frustrating as everywhere is now closed until Monday! The credit card dispute department and the company!

I have paid £359. I told them I didn't want to pay anything over the phone without having anything in writing and I was put through to a supervisor and told tolook on the internet so I could see they were part of this goverment regulation thing. He kept saying could get the money back at any time!

As soon as I put the phone down, I looked on the internet and got this thread up. I don't have this sort of money, so can't afford to loose it. Feeling very angry and very sad
    Hi
    Don’t feel stupid, they are experienced sales people they know what to say to convince you. You will probably find that you have 14 days cooling off, I would suggest that first thing on Monday you call them up and tell them you want to exercise this right. Get them to write to you and confirm that they wont be taking anything further off your card and be strong with them as will try their hardest to talk you into staying. :)
  • kelly993
    Options
    kelly993 wrote: »
    Hi
    Don’t feel stupid, they are experienced sales people they know what to say to convince you. You will probably find that you have 14 days cooling off, I would suggest that first thing on Monday you call them up and tell them you want to exercise this right. Get them to write to you and confirm that they wont be taking anything further off your card and be strong with them as will try their hardest to talk you into staying. :)
    Further to this...I have found this for you on the terms and conditions for Lifestyle Claims

Information about cancellations and refunds

You have a 14 day “cooling off” period from the date your payment is taken or the signing of any contractual agreement which
    we provide to you whichever is the later (please note in most circumstances we will not ask you to sign any contractual
    agreement as your contract was formed verbally when you made payment). You may cancel the contract and we will refund any
    administration fees paid by you in full, up to 30 days of us receiving your returned client welcome pack.

After the 14 day period, if you cancel the contract with us, you will not be entitled to the refund of any administration fees paid
    to us unless the work which we have undertaken up to the point of cancellation is less than the value of the administration fee
    (there are only a small number of circumstances where this will apply).

You may cancel the contract between you and us by writing or emailing us, using the following contact details:
    By Post
    : Cancellations Dept, Lifestyle Claims, Princess House, Princess Way, Swansea, SA1 3LW.
    By Email
    : [EMAIL="cancellations@lifestyleclaims.net"]cancellations@lifestyleclaims.net[/EMAIL]

The administration fee is fully refundable if all of your potential claims prove unsuccessful.
    At all times you have the right to seek advice from alternative sources

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport