We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• KrazyKel
    KrazyKel Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    So the age limit for HB single persons had risen from 25 to 35 :mad: this means you now have to be over 35 to get the 1 room rate (currently 390pcm in my council) instead you will only get the shared room rate (currently 270pcm where I live) how do they justify this? What is the difference between a 34 and 35 year old? The previous limit 25 was I assumed there because most under 25's would be presumed to be living at home. They expect ill/disabled people under 35 to share accommodation with strangers? :eek: surely there should be some distinction between healthy people (JSA claimants) and ESA claimers? It looks like this government want to rob the most vulnerable people of their dignity.

Ahh i know! :( Im 24 now, and was looking at moving out when I get to 25 next year, I get DLA - High Mobility and Low Care and work 16 Hrs a week and get WTC!
    I wont be able to afford to move out for a long time now, and with my health etc I dont know when/if i can manage to hold down more hours and full time work etc
    Make £10 a day Challenge June - £170
  • Twentiesgirl
    Options
    I may be wrong but I'm sure I read somewere that if you have an illness that would impact on you sharing a house than there can be some discretion and you can live alone - I don't know what criteria you would need to fit but I know of 2 people under 25 who live alone because of this.

I'm worried about this to I currently live alone and don't think anyone would want to share with me I'm currently on Esa and yeah but if I have to share them hopefully I'll either be back at work or eligible under the above
  • Murgatroyd21
    Options
    Sorry but don't get this. If you work 19 hrs pw and total weekly income is £125, why do you need childcare? Your partner isn't contributing a great deal in income therefore not doing very much. Why can't they look after the child? At least until they get a job that means working more hours that pays a bit more too. No disrespect to your partner for wishing to help by being a fire fighter, but I imagine family has to come first.
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but don't get this. If you work 19 hrs pw and total weekly income is £125, why do you need childcare? Your partner isn't contributing a great deal in income therefore not doing very much. Why can't they look after the child? At least until they get a job that means working more hours that pays a bit more too. No disrespect to your partner for wishing to help by being a fire fighter, but I imagine family has to come first.

I did wonder that too, I though both had to be working at least 16 hours each to qualify for help with childcare.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been trying to find info regarding the cap of benefits to a max of £500 per week but am struggling! If you are working and your income is less but with Housing Benefit your weekly income is currently topped up to more than £500, does anyone know if it means the benefits portion of your income would reduce to take you below the threshold?

Or is this one of the finer details the government have yet to work out?!
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • Twentiesgirl
    Options
    I think it's if your sole income is benefits
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,078 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did wonder that too, I though both had to be working at least 16 hours each to qualify for help with childcare.

There are a few exceptions to this.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • timmmehh
    Options
    Under-35s only able to claim housing benefit for a room rather than a whole property.

i saw this would this affect me + my partner we have a child and are both under 35 and claim housing benefit, also i currently work 40 hrs a week and my partner stays at home to look after our daughter will we be affected by anything?
  • NoNoDrama
    Options
    I may be wrong but I'm sure I read somewere that if you have an illness that would impact on you sharing a house than there can be some discretion and you can live alone - I don't know what criteria you would need to fit but I know of 2 people under 25 who live alone because of this.

I'm worried about this to I currently live alone and don't think anyone would want to share with me I'm currently on Esa and yeah but if I have to share them hopefully I'll either be back at work or eligible under the above

Yes there should be some distinction as it's not fair to expect people who are ill to live in shared accommodation. Does anyone know if there is and exactly what the small print is regarding this?

It is also worth pointing out that the shared room rate may well cover some self-contained studio/bedsit type properties if you look around hard enough. Unfortunately these are few and far between and the ones that are available are very grim indeed (fridge and cooker next to your bed etc)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    timmmehh wrote: »
    Under-35s only able to claim housing benefit for a room rather than a whole property.

i saw this would this affect me + my partner we have a child and are both under 35 and claim housing benefit, also i currently work 40 hrs a week and my partner stays at home to look after our daughter will we be affected by anything?

This relates to single claimants only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport