We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• zaralondon
    Options
    Thanks for this infro DX2.

So as far as we know, the 30th percentile figures will not be applied until October 2011. However, from this April 2011, regardless of how much you received, your weekly LHA claim will be capped at £250 for one bedroom/£290 for 2 bedroom.

BUT if the claimant's rent is already below this £250 cap (in the case of 1 bedroom rate) then the claimant's LHA amount will remain the same? (until October 2011 when all figures will be revised to 30th percentile).

Is this correct? Sorry for the bold just want to make sure I'm sure.. :)
  • nmjams
    nmjams Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    im 30 years old live alone and work full time for my local council, looks like my council will be getting rid of services due to the cuts, im a bit woried that my job could be one of them.

under new rules i wouldnt be entitled to the 1 bed rate lha only shared room rate if i became unemployed.

does anyone know if the new rules would apply to new tennants or would it be accross the board?
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    nmjams wrote: »
    im 30 years old live alone and work full time for my local council, looks like my council will be getting rid of services due to the cuts, im a bit woried that my job could be one of them.

under new rules i wouldnt be entitled to the 1 bed rate lha only shared room rate if i became unemployed.

does anyone know if the new rules would apply to new tennants or would it be accross the board?

once the rules come in, they apply to everyone. however, if you are already claiming, then you only get put onto the new rates when you have your annual review, or if you notify them of a change in your circumstances

F
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,643 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Wow i didn't realise the LHA age was being increased, I thought it was just an idea at this stage.

Does it apply to Housing Benefit as well?

Changes my plans for sure :(
  • rowbee
    Options
    Hi All,
    If someone can help would be much appreciated. i am a single parent working 18.5 hours per week. I am currently able to claim working tax credits as well as child tax credits.
    With the budgets changes i have noticed the 'must be working over 24 hours between you as a couple' aspect but can not find out how this relates to people who are not part of a couple. Can anybody shed any light on this? is the 24 hours per household or per couple? i would not be able to work at all without the tax credits! Thanks for your help!
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    rowbee wrote: »
    Hi All,
    If someone can help would be much appreciated. i am a single parent working 18.5 hours per week. I am currently able to claim working tax credits as well as child tax credits.
    With the budgets changes i have noticed the 'must be working over 24 hours between you as a couple' aspect but can not find out how this relates to people who are not part of a couple. Can anybody shed any light on this? is the 24 hours per household or per couple? i would not be able to work at all without the tax credits! Thanks for your help!
    24 hours is for couples, not single parents.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • xmen2
    xmen2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are correct the 30% percentile and cap on LHA/housing benefit comes into effect in October 2011.
  • Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jul/15/housing-benefit-cuts-local-analysis

Scroll down to the table and find your area. This might give you an idea of how it might effect you.
  • MaureenCornwall
    Options
    Hi, I am totally confused, not sure if the new 24 hours applies to a couple or a single person.
    I am in a slightly different position, I am 59 years old and have brought up my own children they are grown ups and left home. However due to reasons I will not go into I am bringing up my 7 year old grandchild under a residents order ie until they are 18 years old.:rotfl::eek:
    I have always worked full time, but last year I reduced my hours to 22.50 hrs due to stress of the situation I am in. I am on my own, I work shifts, and it is really hard work getting child care when its the school holidays, I always take as much of my holidays to cover school holidays but there is always 4 weeks of the summer I have to ask close relatives for some help. Does this change mean I have to find another 90minutes a week work or is the 24 hours a week for a couple plus children only ?? At the moment I recieve working tax credits a part of that is child tax credit, I am not entitled to the free school meals for my grandchild. Also I don't know what is going to happen in Nov 2012 as I am retiring, I have no idea how we will cope financially as my pension will be state pension plus very minimal private pension, some friends said I will be entitled to pension credit in 2 years time, but with all these changes going on, I wonder :think:.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I am totally confused, not sure if the new 24 hours applies to a couple or a single person.
    I am in a slightly different position, I am 59 years old and have brought up my own children they are grown ups and left home. However due to reasons I will not go into I am bringing up my 7 year old grandchild under a residents order ie until they are 18 years old.:rotfl::eek:
    I have always worked full time, but last year I reduced my hours to 22.50 hrs due to stress of the situation I am in. I am on my own, I work shifts, and it is really hard work getting child care when its the school holidays, I always take as much of my holidays to cover school holidays but there is always 4 weeks of the summer I have to ask close relatives for some help. Does this change mean I have to find another 90minutes a week work or is the 24 hours a week for a couple plus children only ?? At the moment I recieve working tax credits a part of that is child tax credit, I am not entitled to the free school meals for my grandchild. Also I don't know what is going to happen in Nov 2012 as I am retiring, I have no idea how we will cope financially as my pension will be state pension plus very minimal private pension, some friends said I will be entitled to pension credit in 2 years time, but with all these changes going on, I wonder :think:.

as someone who is responsible for a child, you fall under the same rules as a 'parent'. however, as you are single, the 24hr rule wont apply to you

when you retire, you will loose WTC, but still be entitled to CTC. but once the WTC stops, then you should be able to claim free school meals, so you win some, you loose some

if your income is below £132 a week then you can get pension credit, but i think CTC is classed as income, so you will have above this amount coming in and therefore not be entitled

unfortunately, your CTC will also drop to the basic £2850 once you give up work

hth F
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport