We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• mrsmcfly
    Options
    Hi got a quick question, I am shortly going to be giving up work to be a SAHM for my 2 (and 1 on way) children. We do require the added support of tax credits. It says that we have to work at least 24 hours between us. Does this mean that I will have to be in work in order to be in recipet of tax credits?

Its possible I may be able to find a small job around my husband very erratic hours but thats not going to be easy.

Thanks in advance and I apologise if this question has already been asked.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    mrsmcfly wrote: »
    Hi got a quick question, I am shortly going to be giving up work to be a SAHM for my 2 (and 1 on way) children. We do require the added support of tax credits. It says that we have to work at least 24 hours between us. Does this mean that I will have to be in work in order to be in recipet of tax credits?

Its possible I may be able to find a small job around my husband very erratic hours but thats not going to be easy.

Thanks in advance and I apologise if this question has already been asked.

If you OH works more than 24 hours, you will be fine :)
  • hardya
    hardya Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »

Something like this? ^^^ from page 2

Thank you so much this is perfect, just what I'm looking form.

I made the stupid mistake of using search string "Spending Review welfare cuts" instead of "Spending Review welfare reform" or just "Spending Review", shuvved it way down google's list. Maybe "cuts" is the rhetoric.. not really.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    sorry if it's already been asked but whats tax credits increasing by? it says £30 then £180 i'm confused
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • idvi
    idvi Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    So the age limit for HB single persons had risen from 25 to 35 :mad: this means you now have to be over 35 to get the 1 room rate (currently 390pcm in my council) instead you will only get the shared room rate (currently 270pcm where I live) how do they justify this? What is the difference between a 34 and 35 year old? The previous limit 25 was I assumed there because most under 25's would be presumed to be living at home. They expect ill/disabled people under 35 to share accommodation with strangers? :eek: surely there should be some distinction between healthy people (JSA claimants) and ESA claimers? It looks like this government want to rob the most vulnerable people of their dignity.

a few points:

anyone over 25 who is disabled/with partner/children etc will still get more money for housing benefit. its ONLY single, healthy people which will be effected by the age bracket going from 25 to 35.

im not entirely sure whether i think this is a bad thing, i claim esa and dla and before my current home i had to share a house despite having mental health problems. not every sick/disabled single person needs their own flat or house.. it depends on whats wrong with them.

incapacity benefit is being replaced by esa.

there is income related esa and contributions based esa.

there is a 12 month limit on ONLY contribution based esa (NOT income related), and only for those who are contribution based AND in the work related activity group.

after 12 months on contributory esa you will stay on esa but be moved to income-related esa if you don't have enough household income. if the house has enough income not to qualify (ie. because of a partner working full time) they 'arguably' you shouldnt need esa (although obviously its not that black and white) so you get thrown off contributions based esa and have to sort something out yourself.

if you are thrown off contributions based esa and arent eligible for income related esa, i wouldnt have thought youd be entitled to income related jsa either??

your outrage is a bit misguided, i dont think you quite get it. basically not all esa wrag claimants will be turned off benefits next year, just contributions based and if they dont qualify for income related!

also bear in mind some people have used 'IB' to mean incapacity benefit or income-based, dont be getting confused with the acronymms!
    2 esa medicals passed successfully (support group - it can be done!!)!! :j
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,078 Forumite
    Options
    idvi wrote: »
    im not entirely sure whether i think this is a bad thing, i claim esa and dla and before my current home i had to share a house despite having mental health problems. not every sick/disabled single person needs their own flat or house.. it depends on whats wrong with them.

It depends on what rate of DLA they get. When I move out, I will need my own home - there is no way I can share with strangers.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • idvi
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    It depends on what rate of DLA they get. When I move out, I will need my own home - there is no way I can share with strangers.

oh of course but often dla reflects that.. the point i was making is someone shouldnt automatically have their own gaff just because they are ill/disabled.

it may be nicer to have a place of your own, but i managed well enough living in a bedsit with mental health issues (thats not to say that such a thing is suitable for you!) but my point is not everybody needs a fully paid for flat or house.

it does seem like a 'good move' by the government because i have never understood why anybody healthy, childless and single should have their own place fully paid for when they could live in a room or bedsit. benefits are for keeping people above water, not paying for lifestyle. i hate having to say that and i am on benefits but its the truth
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,078 Forumite
    Options
    idvi wrote: »
    oh of course but often dla reflects that.. the point i was making is someone shouldnt automatically have their own gaff just because they are ill/disabled.

it may be nicer to have a place of your own

In cases like mine, it's a need not want - huge difference there.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • idvi
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    In cases like mine, it's a need not want - huge difference there.

i know, thats why i deliberately said its not always the case

but a single, childless, perfectly mentally and physically healthy person at the age of 20, 30, 40 or 50 does not 'need' their own flat/house when they can be housed in a bedsit or room.

and as i said, besides which, not all (but quite a few obviously do) ill or disabled people need their own place.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    carkeyz wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am worried about all the government cuts. I am SE and work 19 hours a week, my partner is a retained firemine and we currently bring in around £125 a week. As u can imagine things are tough but am now worried about tax credits cutting the childcare element.
    Can anyone explain in laymen terms what is going to happen to us?

to be getting the childcare element, you both have to be working over 16hrs a week

tbh, £125 a week doesnt sound like quite right. basic retainer is in the region of £2k for most brigades, plus call out hourly rate (usually about 5-10hrs a week)

which then means, you cant be making any money being SE, so perhaps its time to think about working elsewhere. Or, are you using the SE status as a means to claim childcare and WTC?

F
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport