We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    im looking for full info also
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    from what i can see, the only difference will be for people who dont work 24hrs a week, as they will loose the WTC part

other than that, the child element of CTC is increasing by £20, and the entitlement to childcare help is dropping to 70%, so as long as you work more than 24hrs, there shouldnt be a noticeable difference

F
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    I think they wll have to make some allowance for couples where one has a disability tbh.

I have a feeling it may only apply to those receiving a certain level of DLA though...

On a different note, the clients I work with (learning disabilities) will also be affected by the loss of the mobility allowance of DLA.

They use it for taxis/buses etc to get them to places and back and it allows them some independence. The home provides transport for home based things but some of them want to go and do their own thing, and that's surely what the mobility allowance is for?

I can see the point in homes where the residents aren't able to leave, but it's a sad loss for those who are able to lead a somewhat independent life with the help of this money!

At present many people in care homes cant get HRMC anyway, it depends on how their place is funded and so the changes will even this out.
  • Murgatroyd21
    Options
    Perhaps if people read all the details, "increasing the child element above indexation by a further £30 in 2011-12 and £50 in 2012-13, in addition to the £150 and £60 increases provided at the June
    Budget
    ." see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/Budget/Budget2010/DG_188501 for more information. You need to read both the 2010 budget along with the spending review to get all the details. see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/Budget/Budget2010/DG_188501 for an overview of the budget.
  • elcraig
    Options
    Does anyone know when the WTC rule of working 24 hour per week comes into effect as at the moment I only work 18 hours. Can't find this info on the Direct Gov site or in any of the newspapers.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    elcraig wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the WTC rule of working 24 hour per week comes into effect as at the moment I only work 18 hours. Can't find this info on the Direct Gov site or in any of the newspapers.

Some time in 2012 by the looks of it.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • NoNoDrama
    NoNoDrama Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    So the age limit for HB single persons had risen from 25 to 35 :mad: this means you now have to be over 35 to get the 1 room rate (currently 390pcm in my council) instead you will only get the shared room rate (currently 270pcm where I live) how do they justify this? What is the difference between a 34 and 35 year old? The previous limit 25 was I assumed there because most under 25's would be presumed to be living at home. They expect ill/disabled people under 35 to share accommodation with strangers? :eek: surely there should be some distinction between healthy people (JSA claimants) and ESA claimers? It looks like this government want to rob the most vulnerable people of their dignity.
  • carkeyz
    carkeyz Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    I am worried about all the government cuts. I am SE and work 19 hours a week, my partner is a retained firemine and we currently bring in around £125 a week. As u can imagine things are tough but am now worried about tax credits cutting the childcare element.
    Can anyone explain in laymen terms what is going to happen to us?
    Debt at LBM: £9660.05
    I run my own business and LOVE being self employed!
    I am mummy To my Millie :D

• dazzadub
    dazzadub Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    basically you will need to up your hours from 16 to 24

this rule applies to everyone

my partner is going to have to do the same, but she only needs to find another 2 hours a week.

im unsure when this takes effect
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    dazzadub wrote: »
    basically you will need to up your hours from 16 to 24

this rule applies to everyone

my partner is going to have to do the same, but she only needs to find another 2 hours a week.

im unsure when this takes effect

Or the OP's partner can get a job working for 5 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure