We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Review: benefits cut in welfare axe

Options

Comments

• NoNoDrama
    NoNoDrama Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    the review says you're only entitled to 12 months!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, ESA is the old incapacity benefit. So if you are ill you can claim it. However you will now only be entitled to 12 months of it regardless of whether you're still ill or not??

No.

It's only the contribution based ESA that will be time limited. If your circumstances mean that you are entitled to income based, then you would then continue on that.

That is the way I interpreted it anyway?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    the review says you're only entitled to 12 months!
    Please go and re read the review again thanks.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    No.

It's only the contribution based ESA that will be time limited. If your circumstances mean that you are entitled to income based, then you would then continue on that.

The time limit does not apply if you're placed into the Support Group of CB ESA. The time limit only applies if you're in the Work Related Activity Group of Contribution Based ESA.
  • UnderPressure
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    No.

Sorry for the simpleton question guys :o

What is the difference between the contribution based and the income based ESA? And support group and work related???? I have just had quite a "panic" phone call with my brother in law who has been on IB for a number of years, genuine back and knee problems he has gone into a sheer panic over it all, I said I would try and find some concrete info for him, maybe I am looking in the wrong places but the stuff I am finding is wildly misleading (typical I suppose.....)

Anyone shed any light?

Much appreciated in advance :)
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    JS477 wrote: »
    The time limit does not apply if you're placed into the Support Group of CB ESA. The time limit only applies if you're in the Work Related Activity Group of Contribution Based ESA.

Sorry. Forgot to add that in above.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • JS477
    Options
    Sorry for the simpleton question guys :o

What is the difference between the contribution based and the income based ESA? And support group and work related???? I have just had quite a "panic" phone call with my brother in law who has been on IB for a number of years, genuine back and knee problems he has gone into a sheer panic over it all, I said I would try and find some concrete info for him, maybe I am looking in the wrong places but the stuff I am finding is wildly misleading (typical I suppose.....)

Anyone shed any light?

Much appreciated in advance :)

CB ESA is the new version of IB which is based on your NI contributions and is non-means tested. IB ESA is the new version of Income Support based on Disability and is means tested.

With ESA (CB & IB) there are two groups viz. The Work Related Activity Group and the Support Group. If you're placed in the latter you are not expected to actively take part in any interviews (5 of them I think) to help you get back into work, it's noted that only about 5% of claimants are placed into the Support Group.
  • UnderPressure
    Options
    CB ESA is the new version of IB which is based on your NI contributions and is non-means tested. IB ESA is the new version of Income Support based on Disability and is means tested.

With ESA (CB & IB) there are two groups viz. The Work Related Activity Group and the Support Group. If you're placed in the latter you are not expected to actively take part in any interviews (5 of them I think) to help you get back into work, it's noted that only about 5% of claimants are placed into the Support Group.

SO am I right in thinking that 95% of claimants WILL find themselves part of this new 12 month rule?

Or have I got it wrong :cool:
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • JS477
    Options
    SO am I right in thinking that 95% of claimants WILL find themselves part of this new 12 month rule?

Or have I got it wrong :cool:

It only applies to however many ESA claimants that find themselves in the WRAG of CB ESA, what that figure is I don't know (it's not 95% as not everyone who claims ESA passes the WCA and some will be placed onto IB ESA ) but it's quite a few otherwise Osborne wouldn't be targeting them.
  • UnderPressure
    Options
    It only applies to however many ESA claimants that find themselves in the WRAG of CB ESA, what that figure is I don't know (it's not 95% as not everyone who claims ESA passes the WCA and some will be placed onto IB ESA ) but it's quite a few otherwise Osborne wouldn't be targeting them.

Thanks for your replies JS477 much appreciated :)

So in essence my BIL even though he only had an ATOS medical about 4 weeks ago that he passed with no problem, will next year at some stage be re-evaluated to see which "group" he will be placed on for ESA.

So there is not really anything I can tell him to ease his worries at this time :(

Crikey seems like the swap from IB to ESA in real terms is going to be a bit of a nightmare......................

Thanks again :)
    Sir Winston Churchill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills